Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Book requested twice??

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
MsJell avatar
Subject: Book requested twice??
Date Posted: 2/3/2009 3:40 PM ET

I posted a book yesterday afternoon and it was immediately requested and accepted.  Today I got another request from a different person for the same book even though it had been accepted, label printed, etc...  I had to tell them that I couldn't send it as it was already gone.

Why was the same book allowed by PBS to be requested by 2 different people?  Has this happened to anyone else?  I have been an active member for a long time and have posted, sent and received many books - this is a first for me.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/3/2009 3:42 PM ET

Last Edited on: 7/1/10 1:41 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/3/2009 3:47 PM ET

Once the label has been printed the requestor can't cancel, and you can't print a label if they cancel beforehand.  This makes no sense at all.  (BTW, I think the requestor also started a thread about this)

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/3/2009 3:49 PM ET

Last Edited on: 7/1/10 1:41 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/3/2009 3:51 PM ET

I was wondering if it was the same person as well.  It happened to me when I first joined. It offered a WL book I posted to 2 different people at the same time.  I accepted the 1st one who responded and then had to decline the 2nd. 

ruthy avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/3/2009 3:56 PM ET

Just goes to show that no matter how big we think PBS is - it's really just a small world after all!  ;D

Ruth

MsJell avatar
Date Posted: 2/3/2009 3:59 PM ET

I checked the other post and it is not the people who requested my book! 

I checked my transaction file and it had been canceled by the requester - I don't understand why I was able to print the wrapper, etc....  I am furious as the postage is printed ready to mail!!  I just wasted $2.41!!

Urgggggggggggggggg

MsJell avatar
Date Posted: 2/3/2009 4:05 PM ET

This is really strange - it shows on my Main Account page that it needs to be mailed - shows that it is still active!!  I am not sure what to do!  I managed to grab it out of the mailbox 10 minutes before the mail carrier arrived!

Any suggestions?

melanied avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalBook Bazaar Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 2/3/2009 4:08 PM ET

Isn't the one printed still in your To Be Mailed? You'd still send it in that case, I don't think TPTB would cancel the order without talking to you when you've printed and possibly mailed.

This is,  I suspect, a common glitch that I've seen where the posting is offered to the same person from you twice. If they cancel one of the orders, it moves on to the person leaving you with two offers for the same book. You should see the cancelled offer in your TA and an active order from the same person. You would have handled it correctly sending to the person who you've already accepted and printed and letting the other person know that it was a system glitch and your book was sent to someone else.

If the system did allow for an order to be cancelled after you printed the label, use the Contact Us link and talk to TPTB, they may be able to make things right.

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/3/2009 5:42 PM ET

IF it shows in your To Be Mailed section then It wasn't cancelled. Check the dates/times. It's possible that it was cancelled by someone else and then ordered by another person. Or it's possible that the requestor cancelled right away and then reordered.  Because if it shows up in your Books To Be Mailed section then it's still an active request.

Also if someone just PMs you asking you to cancel and you've already printed the postage out then you don't have to cancel.

MsJell avatar
Date Posted: 2/3/2009 5:48 PM ET

OK - mystery solved!  You were correct Melanie - the book had been offered to her twice - she canceled one and accepted the other!  So I will mail it tomorrow!

Don't know why I got another request from a different person this afternoon!  That is still a mystery!  I checked my bookshelf to be certain that I had not posted the same book twice but don't see any sign of that!  Just a strange occurance.

Thank you all for your advice - as usualy - PBS members are the 'greatest'!

melanied avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalBook Bazaar Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 2/3/2009 6:07 PM ET

Yup, she needed to accept them both and let you cancel one of them because they really are two live transactions and declining one let it move on to #2 in the WL line. I've been on both sides of the glitch, it can get confusing.

You may want to PM the requester and have her make sure the book has been removed from her WL, I got two copies of one book because I went back in the WL line when the sender cancelled the dup posting and the other member posted, accepted, and shipped so soon after the glitch that I didn't realize another person was on the transaction until it was too late.

Glad you have it figured out and can send that book off.

Spuddie avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 2/3/2009 6:49 PM ET

Just out of curiosity, had you just taken your account off vacation hold when this happened? I've had that same thing happen to me twice, and both times books were double offered was when my account had just come off hold. One time, I had about half a dozen books that got offered to a couple of people--some of them, the second request showed up several hours later! I've heard of it happening with some other folks in that circumstance as well.

Cheryl

MsJell avatar
Date Posted: 2/4/2009 7:15 PM ET

No - I never have had my account on hold!  Was just a very strange glitch!