Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Can I post these books?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
sportsmom216 avatar
Subject: Can I post these books?
Date Posted: 2/7/2009 7:22 PM ET

I went to a thrift store today and picked a few books.  I was very particular about the condition of the books that I bought.  I noticed that 99% of the books there had a single mark (pen or marker) right across the top of the book on the top of the pages but not on the inside.  These books are otherwise in like new condition.  Can they be posted?

Last Edited on: 2/7/09 7:23 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ladycari avatar
PBS Cruise Attendee medal10th Anniversary PBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 2/7/2009 7:24 PM ET

Sounds like remainder marks.

See if this is what you are describing: http://www.mywingsbooks.com. Click on Remainder marks on the left side of the page. They have some good photos showing what I think you are describing.

If they are indeed remainder marks then yes, they are postable.

Edited to fix the link.

Last Edited on: 2/7/09 7:27 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
sportsmom216 avatar
Date Posted: 2/7/2009 7:30 PM ET

That is exactly it....a remainder mark.  It is a single black, yellow or blue mark across the top of the book.

Thanks for the info.  I had no clue what they were or why they were there.

ladycari avatar
PBS Cruise Attendee medal10th Anniversary PBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 2/7/2009 8:17 PM ET

Happy to help!

destinybooks avatar
Subject: opps
Date Posted: 2/10/2009 11:23 AM ET

I needed to edit the reply below for spelling error and now can not seem to delete the extra post .. sorry

Last Edited on: 2/10/09 11:27 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
destinybooks avatar
Subject: reminder marks
Date Posted: 2/10/2009 11:23 AM ET

Where do these come from? What does it mean?

sportsmom216 avatar
Date Posted: 2/10/2009 4:08 PM ET

This is the info that I got from the link above:

In order to clear its warehouse, a publisher will often offer the unsold (remainder) portion of a printing at a discount. Such books are usually marked on the page edges so that they cannot be returned for a full-price refund. As with most changes made to a book after the initial printing, a remainder mark reduces the value of a book to less than the same edition would bring unmarked. Individual collectors differ in how distasteful they find a remainder mark to be, but the mark and its location should always be noted in a book description.

I think that some thrift shops may put the remainder mark on the books too so that people do not try to return them to a regular book store for full price or an exchange.  I used to work in returns in a very large retail store and you would be suprised at what some people will do.

Cattriona avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 2/10/2009 4:12 PM ET

<<I think that some thrift shops may put the remainder mark on the books too so that people do not try to return them to a regular book store for full price or an exchange.  I used to work in returns in a very large retail store and you would be suprised at what some people will do.>>

Regular bookstores do this too; I worked for Borders for 5 years and applied plenty of remainder marks.

Cheers,
Catt

tiffanyak avatar
Date Posted: 2/10/2009 6:47 PM ET

The point is, it's a simple and standard (and easily recognized) way for publishers and bookstores to make sure that the discount copies are distinguished from the full price copies, so that they don't lose money giving full refunds for discount books.

There isn't really anything bad about them, except for knowing immediately that a particular book is a discount copy. They're also pretty ugly looking on a bookshelf, which is the main reason many casual readers  (including me) don't like them much. It's not so bad if the mark is on the bottom of the book, but if it's on the top, then when you look at your bookshelf you see an ugly marker line on top of your books. If someone is a serious book collector, they may have problems with them for different reasons, since a remainder mark immediately reduces the value of a book.

Spuddie avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 2/11/2009 9:07 AM ET

Yep, pretty much all the books I get brand new at Bookcloseouts.com have those remainder marks. Sometimes it's a single line slash, but some of their workers use a really small circular dot made with a black sharpie, so it's hardly noticeable at all. They sure don't bother me. So far I've never seen an RC prohibiting remainder marks, so I don't think they bother most folks.

Cheryl

destinybooks avatar
Subject: thank you
Date Posted: 2/13/2009 1:24 AM ET

I've been wondering about that for years now .. and you guys fixed me up quick with that question.