Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Generic Letters

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
pvc avatar
Subject: Generic Letters
Date Posted: 5/24/2009 11:18 AM ET

1) Generic Letter for RWAP:

Thank you for sending (--book--::--author--).  I am so sorry to have to mark it RWAP (Received With A Problem), but the book (--describe problem--). The packaging is dry and intact, so it is evident that the damage did not occur in transit. Unfortunately, this means that the book does not meet PBS posting guidelines, and I will not be able to repost the book, so I would appreciate a refund of my credit. I would be happy to send the book back to you if you would like to cover postage with an additional credit. Just let me know if you would like to do that. I will be sure to promptly mark the problem transaction as resolved in the PBS system upon the return of my original credit. If I don't hear back from you in one week by (--date-+7-days--) I will unhappily mark the transaction as unresolved. Thanks for understanding, and please PM me if you have any questions.

2) Generic Letter for a book you mailed that went Lost:

It looks like (--book--::--author--), which I sent on (--DD-Month YYYY--), has gone lost.  I'm so sorry you haven't received it, but I wanted to assure you that I did mail it, and hope that you receive it soon.  If/when you do, I hope you will mark it received so that I can receive credit for sending it.  Thanks!

Last Edited on: 8/18/09 9:37 AM ET - Total times edited: 21
Isadora avatar
Date Posted: 5/24/2009 1:03 PM ET

Great idea Marilyn/Dan.

Pam

Edited to add Dan. LOL

Last Edited on: 5/24/09 1:05 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
pvc avatar
Date Posted: 5/24/2009 1:12 PM ET

I'm worried that it has the potential to get controversial.  So I'm going to try to keep it simple and remove the requestor condition (even though it's a good one).  RCs are always hotly debated.  Hopefully we can limit this to polite letters/email/PMs for common situations.
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/24/2009 11:02 PM ET

Marilyn/ Dan:

Samples of clear, objective and polite RCs might be a good idea.  Like the thread with a couple of suggested RCs requesting (but NOT requiring) a waterproof layer.

On the RWAP sample, should we provide a deadline for a response, after which it will be marked unresolved?

pvc avatar
Date Posted: 5/25/2009 12:19 AM ET

Added the deadline for marking unresolved.  As I said I am worried that it has the potential to get controversial.  So I hesitate to add the suggested RCs (requestor conditions).  How about if we start a seperate topic "Generic RCs"?

Last Edited on: 5/25/09 12:29 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
pvc avatar
Date Posted: 5/25/2009 1:38 AM ET

Okay, okay, okay I added RCs.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/25/2009 2:06 PM ET

I am not crazy about RC #3.

(a) Iam lazy just like everyone else here. I don't want to wrap anything in plastic wrap if I don't have to, (b) the wording tries to be friendly but is bossy. "I urge you..." 

This RC should be shortened, have a brief explanation, and made friendlier.  Here's one that I once received. I was happy to help:

"Springtime here in Waterlogged, WA is rainy. As a favor, please wrap the book in plastic (any kind) to protect it from the elements.

I appreciate your help and thank you for the book"

Last Edited on: 5/25/09 2:11 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/25/2009 2:24 PM ET

Generic letter #1 needs to be shortened by 50% or more.

First, recipients of bad news will probably skim that long letter. They'll either be angry, embarrassed, or confused, that they received a RWAP and they'll just want to know how to fix it.  Just the facts.

Don't  volunteer to send the book back or ask for the sender to pay for the return. Just skip that hassle. If they want it returned, let them ask.

Don't tell the sender that if he or she doesn't comply by xx date that you'll mark it as unresolved. That sounds like a threat. Keep it positive, let them know what you want. Keep it short.

Thank you for sending Fabio Goes to Out West.  Unfortunatly, because it is soaked in blood, it does not meet PBS posting guidelines.

Please refund my credit by Wednesday, December 21, and I'll mark this transaction resolved in the PBS system. 

Thanks for understanding, and please PM me if you have any questions

Last Edited on: 5/25/09 2:27 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
pvc avatar
Date Posted: 5/25/2009 2:27 PM ET

seperated into Generic Letters and Generic RCs...  RCs are just too controversial.

ETA: Generic RCs turned into a joke and was edited to become a discontinued topic

Last Edited on: 5/27/09 12:27 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/25/2009 2:30 PM ET

Generic Letters and RCs.

I offer equal opportunity for gentle critiquing. LOL.

wyomingblonde avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/26/2009 3:43 PM ET

Laura, this cracked me up!

Thank you for sending Fabio Goes to Out West.  Unfortunatly, because it is soaked in blood, it does not meet PBS posting guidelines.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/26/2009 4:24 PM ET

PBS frowns on using other member's names ... You might want to take Lesley's name off your original post...  :)  (unless of course, SHE gave you permission to use it!) ...

pvc avatar
Date Posted: 5/27/2009 12:21 AM ET

Okay Janet; I will take it off. But then I'm sure that I will be accused of plagiarism in short order.  Or of being completely devoid of logic for trying to get everyone to agree on a generic letter in the first place.

pvc avatar
Date Posted: 5/27/2009 12:25 AM ET

Does NE1 have a generic letter for "Sorry that the book I sent went lost"?

pvc avatar
Date Posted: 5/28/2009 6:00 PM ET

Anyone who thinks this topic is a good idea and would like take over the maintenance of it, please feel free to do so.  It's easy because the first post has an UPDATE-ACCESS link that you can click to update the first post, which is were any new generic letters belong.  Don't depend on me for maintenance as I will unWatch This Topic.

Last Edited on: 5/28/09 6:00 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/28/2009 6:21 PM ET

Poor Dan's feelers are hurt. 

((((hugs))))

If it's any consolation, I like the idea. I love business writing.

Oh well.

LesleyH avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/28/2009 8:32 PM ET

No way Dan, no plagerism accusations here- I have posted my standard RWAP wording here many times, and am always glad if someone else can benefit from it.  And now I want to know how my name was used here before it was edited out, lol!

I am going to have to beg to differ with Laura about whether to offer sending the book back- I have had many RWAP books, and since it is PBS policy that a book may be returned to the sender if the sender provides compensation for it, I still prefer to include that.  You have to remember that many, MANY members have not read the HC as extensively as those of us who frequent the forums have, so may not know that that option is available.  I have had about a dozen RWAP transactions in my two years here, but have had only one sender who wanted the book back, and that was very recently.  She gave me the credit, I sent the book back, and everyone was happy.  I see nothing wrong with that.  Making the offer demonstrates to the sender that you don't want to be unreasonable, and gives them the chance to see the damage for themselves, so I stand by keeping that in the letter.  Also, since it is in PBS guidelines to give a deadline for action, I would also strongly suggest keeping that there as well.  If called into question, everything in the letter wording can be backed up by the guidelines outlined in the PBS Help Center.  If TPTB have to become involved at some point, you are going to want that in your favor.

One thing I would include is a sentence about whether there was evidence of damage in transit, just to head off that issue before the sender raises it: "The packaging is dry and intact, so it is evident that the damage did not occur in transit."- I would probaby add this right after the description of the damage to the book.  I had this pointed out the last time I posted my standard RWAP, and I think it is a good suggestion.

As for a letter about a book going lost, I'd keep it simple: "It looks like X book, which I sent on DD/MM/YY, has gone lost.  I'm so sorry you haven't received it, but I wanted to assure you that I did mail it, and hope that you receive it soon.  If/when you do, I hope you will mark it received so that I can receive credit for sending it.  Thanks!"

Lesley

pvc avatar
Date Posted: 5/28/2009 9:39 PM ET

Stopped by for a peek and Lesley's contributions (both of them great) have been included in the first post.  Lesley the original just said Origin Lesley with a link to your nickname.

Thanks for the ((((hugs)))) Laura.  My feelings are not hurt.  It's more like The Man Song.  :))

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/28/2009 9:48 PM ET

LOL Dan,

You da man!

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: I used the generic letter today.
Date Posted: 5/31/2009 2:09 PM ET

I filed my first RWAP. The book has 20 pages of underlining. Hey, I'll let up to five underlined pages side, but not 20 and especially one with a "you go girl" comment scrawled in the margin. LOL.

Anyway, the generic letter came in handy. I didn't have to agonize over what to write and how to word it. Very convenient.

pvc avatar
Date Posted: 7/13/2009 9:00 PM ET

I received my first RWAP book today.  The generic letter from the first post in this topic came in very handy for me.  I marked the transaction as RWAP with this response:

Hello -----;
Thank you for sending ----- Author:: -----. I am so sorry to have to mark it RWAP (Received With A Problem), but the book is heavily soiled and it has a multipage stain (mold I think) that runs through the last twenty pages of the book. The packaging is dry and intact, so it is evident that the damage did not occur in transit. Unfortunately, this means that the book does not meet PBS posting guidelines, and I will not be able to repost the book, so I would appreciate a refund of my credit. I would be happy to send the book back to you if you would like to cover postage with an additional credit. Just let me know if you would like to do that. I will be sure to promptly mark the problem transaction as resolved in the PBS system upon the return of my original credit. If I don't hear back from you by 20-Jul-2009 I will unhappily mark the transaction as unresolved. Thanks for understanding, and please PM me if you have any questions.

Here are pictures of the stains. I cannot post a link in email so you will have to cut-n-paste the below URLs into your browser to view pictures of the stains.
----- link 1 removed -------
----- link 2 removed -------

Sincerely,
Dan (for Marilyn)

pvc avatar
Date Posted: 7/13/2009 9:14 PM ET

20 minutes later my credit was returned with a polite message:

"Sorry about the problem - refunded credit has been sent."

EmpressCharla avatar
Date Posted: 7/17/2009 10:05 PM ET

Marilyn/Dan, thank you so much for posting this letter! It has made it easier to send messages concerning RWAP books. I used the generic letter for a RWAP book that I received today, so I hope things will work out fine. I'm glad that the generic message has worked for you. It sounds firm, but polite at the same time.

pvc avatar
Date Posted: 8/6/2009 9:52 AM ET

Someone removed the Generic letters from the first post.  LOL.  Must have been a recipient of such a letter.

So I put them back and removed the update capability for the first post.

pvc avatar
Date Posted: 8/18/2009 11:02 AM ET

Whoops, received another RWAP:

Hello -----;
Thank you for sending ---------------------------------------.  I am so sorry to have to mark it RWAP (Received With A Problem), but the book cover is torn. Your note to me says that you noticed the torn cover before shipping, so it is evident that the damage did not occur in transit. Unfortunately, this means that the book does not meet PBS posting guidelines, and I will not be able to repost the book, so I would appreciate a refund of my credit. I would be happy to send the book back to you if you would like to cover postage with an additional credit. Just let me know if you would like to do that. I will be sure to promptly mark the problem transaction as resolved in the PBS system upon the return of my original credit. If I don't hear back from you in one week by 26-Aug-2009 I will unhappily mark the transaction as unresolved. Thanks for understanding, and please PM me if you have any questions.

Here is a picture of the torn cover . I cannot post a link in email so you will have to cut-n-paste the below URL into your browser to view the picture of the book.

Also, to show that I did not take this action in haste here’s a link to the PaperBackSwap forum topic where we discussed this specific book damage:

Sincerely,
Dan (for Marilyn)