Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Another ISBN Question

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
jubead avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Subject: Another ISBN Question
Date Posted: 7/23/2009 3:33 PM ET

I am not sure how to post this.  The book I have is Texas Brides by Joan Johnston  - it has two stories

- the ISBN when I pull it up on PBS comes up with name The Rancher and The Runaway Bride - which is one of the two stories and does not mention the second The Bluest Eyes in Texas

-I looked on Amazaon and the same book comes up with the Name The Rancher and The Runaway Bride - but it also has in  (  ) both titles

So  do you think it is a case where the book title was given before the book was released and never corrected and send a request to change the book title?   Should I post w/o ISBN?    I am not sure how to proceed.   Anyone?

TextAddict avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/23/2009 4:05 PM ET

If your book does NOT match the information in the Book Listing Preview:

• If it is a minor difference, such as a misspelled title or the wrong author first name, you can post the book and submit corrections afterward using the Edit Book Data link.

Last Edited on: 7/23/09 5:34 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
jubead avatar
Date Posted: 7/23/2009 4:39 PM ET

Thanks Amanda -I have submitted changes for book description, weight and covers but not the title.  I will do that - Thanks for the response.

royaltech avatar
Member of the Month medalBook Cover Image Approver medalBook Data Coordinator medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 7/23/2009 4:52 PM ET

Jubead,

You cannot just change the title to the book if there are other books posted to that ISBN. I once had an ISBN that was assigned to the first book of a series in hardcover, the paperback edition, AND the omnibus of the first TWO books in the series. Oddly enough, I had all 3 books, so I was positive that the ISBN was on all three.

The version that is listed first is the one that gets to keep the ISBN at PBS. If the publisher reuses the ISBN, the next book has to be listed as a non-ISBN book, UNLESS you go thru the process of having the title change approved. I can help you see about that, but you will most likely be denied on your first try until after some research is done on the book.

Please send me the ISBN for your copy, and I'll see what I can find, and then if it meets the criteria given to me by PBS, I will submit a change to PBS and will let you know if they approve it. Changing the title of a book is almost as much "fun" as getting the binding changed, but it does happen.

Sherry, Data Corrections Team Leader

ETA: Sorry, Amanda, didn't mean to step on your toes, but you missed that she wants to change the complete title, not just a minor change :)

Last Edited on: 7/23/09 4:55 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
TextAddict avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/23/2009 5:22 PM ET

The way I read it, is that it has two stories. But the current title only lists one of the titles. It looked to me like the second title just needed to be added. There are many posted in the system like this.

So she wouldn't be changing the title...just adding the one not currently listed. But I believe I see what your saying Sherry. I read it wrong. I should have asked for the isbn first to make sure the isbn wasn't already listed for the book with just the one story. They may have made a new book and combined two stories and gave it the same isbn.

Sorry jubead, I should have asked you for the isbn first.

Last Edited on: 7/23/09 5:32 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
jubead avatar
Date Posted: 7/23/2009 5:43 PM ET

The cover as far as the picture is exactly the same - the title is only the first story and the description is only the first story on PBS.   I went to Amazon where again the cover picture is the same as mine but the title is just the name of the first story however the title is for amazon on search is Texas Brides:  The Rancher the Runaway Bride/The Bluest Eyes In Texas.  I think I am not describing this correctly so I included links.  I went to the author's website same ISBN number same publishing date but she has the texas brides

amazon

Joan Johnston's website

I also found the same on bookfinder - it is searched under Texas Brides but the title on the book comes up with the name of hte first story. 

Again the publishing date for this book is 10/2005 it matches the publishing date on Amazon and book finders

If you can help me figure this out that would be great - Amanda and Sherry thanks

jubead avatar
Date Posted: 7/23/2009 5:44 PM ET

sorry sherry - I amended the title by adding the second story I also provided links to amazon and the author's website

sherry i will send you a PM

Last Edited on: 7/23/09 5:47 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
royaltech avatar
Member of the Month medalBook Cover Image Approver medalBook Data Coordinator medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 7/24/2009 3:55 PM ET

Ok, Jubead, looks like we've got this one taken care of. It's always nice to be able to update a book's information, but you can see where it would be a problem, if we had a hundred books posted to that ISBN, there'd be no way to contact them all to make sure they had the same book.

Also, remember in the future, that you must do a much more thurough search of the book than just Amazon and BookFinder. We literally have to check as many references as we can find to get the process approved. Some members of the book data team are really great about doing the full process and I rely on them sometimes when I have one come in that really has a lot of links out there, and really needs to be looked at closely, but this one was rather simple. I love them when we can find them on the author's own sites, they want to sell their books, so they are going to make sure things are correct, or at least I'm thinking they would :)

Glad to have worked on this one with you, Jubead, and as I said, anytime you care to peek on the other side of the fence with the data and/or image teams, feel free to let me know and I'll get you fixed up. Remember, we never place demands on our members, tho every now and then I may put out a call for all approvers to come do even a few if they can so that we can get the database queue cleared for some reason (watching for a specific edit to come thru, whatever).

Thanks!
Sherry, 
Data Corrections Team Leader

jubead avatar
Date Posted: 7/24/2009 9:14 PM ET

Thanks Sherry for all your help.  I will keep it in mind that I need to check multiple sites to verify.  I agree things are easier when the author's website is accurate.  I appreciate your help and working on this to resolve it so quickly.   I have PM'd you about being on the teams.  

Amanda - thanks for your help as well - I always look for your responses to questions they are always helpful.  -Jubead