Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - 2009 Resolutions

Topic: 2009 Resolutions

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: 2009 Resolutions
Date Posted: 1/11/2009 12:41 AM ET

I resolve to hide from my family more often so I have a chance to read all these wonderful books. 

I find it difficult to get some time to myself before the "mommy mommy"s" and the "Honey Where is the..."begin

and last until dark.

Bookity avatar
Subject: hee hee - I can relate!
Date Posted: 1/17/2009 3:08 PM ET

Good luck!  What about one night a week you can have a couple of hours to yourself?  Last year I started making tues. night my scrapbook night and you'd be amazed - my husband and kids look forward to having a night away from me as well - they eat fast food and have a tv night and I get a break.  Give it a try - you could sneak off to a coffee shop or library to read or make hub take the kids somewhere so you can have the house to yourself for a couple hours. 

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Time to Read
Date Posted: 1/24/2009 9:45 PM ET

My 33 yr old daughter, married, & Mom to 3, ages 7 - 4 mo., is having that problem too. Just getting enough sleep is her biggest concern now!

My neighbor smokes out of the house & reads at that time. During the evenings, we can look out our kitchen window to see her w/her back door light on, standing on the stoop & reading. This goes on about 4 times per evening.  Also during the day but I don't notice as much; busy doing other things. The light outside at night is our tip off.

Anyway, maybe you could duck out the back door w/o smoking & read for 5 minutes. I personally would want an hr.

When my daughter was little, the bathtub was my reading spot at least once a week. Some classical music on low so you don't hear any annoyances helps too.     All the best,  Kathie