Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Christian Book Recommendations

Topic: 2015 Christian Reading Challenge LISTS ONLY

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
clariail avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Subject: 2015 Christian Reading Challenge LISTS ONLY
Date Posted: 12/29/2014 3:30 PM ET

This thread is for the 2015 Christian Reading Challenge beginning January 1, 2015, and is for your LISTS ONLY

Anyone can join in at any time (after Jan 1 of course)

You can fill in your lists before the challenge starts, or you can fill it in as you go along.  And, of course, you can change your lists up as time goes along too.  You are not locked into your choices if you make them now.

You are welcome to add your own categories to your list or if you would like you can send me a PM and I will see about adding them to the main list.

All of the categories pertain to Christian books only, whether they are fiction or non-fiction.

Have Fun!

Last Edited on: 12/29/14 3:33 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
clariail avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 12/29/2014 3:33 PM ET

1.    Read More Books in 2015 that 2014

2.    NICE TA MEETCHA!   Read a CF book that is written by an author you've never read before

3.    AH, THAT NEW-BOOK SMELL    Read a new release for 2015

4.    Compass Settings:  Read a book set in (1) North  (2)  South  (3)  East  (4)  West

5.    Ho, Ho, Ho!!!  Read a book that centers around a holiday or celebration 

6.    Are you an Activist? Read a Legal/Political Thriller 

7.   Faith Comes By Hearing:  Listen to an Audio Book, fiction or non-fiction as long as it is Christian 

8.   Salute to Our Heroes:  Read a Military or Police Action book (would also include EMTs and firemen)

9.    I Feel Pretty:  Read a chick-lit 

10   Didn't Think I Would Make It:  Read a book over 400 pages

11.  And the Winner Is:   Read a Christy Award or INSPY awards      http://inspys.com  http://www.christyawards.com

12.  A book with a" food item" ( anything you can eat!) in the title.- e.g.- Pride, Prejudice and Cheese Grits

13.  A book with a "Girl's name" in the title- e.g.- The Legend of Sheba:Rise of a Queen

14.   A book with a "Flower" in the title- e.g. -Roses Have Thorns

15.   A book with a 'month" in the title e.g.- Lost December

16.   A book with a 1 word title- e.g.- Outlaw

17.   A book with a "color" in the title-e.g.- The Scarlet Letter

Bonus Categories:

This is an opportunity for you to finish all of those series that have been sitting on your book shelf looking at you. I don't know about you but I have quite a few. With this challenge you count series completed, not books read. It doesn't matter how many books are in the series or if you've read most of them and only have one or two left to read. The object of this challenge is to finish the series.
Levels:
• Curious – Finish 2 series
• Fascinated – Finish 3 series
• Addicted – Finish 5 series
• Obsessed – Finish 10 series

Name Challenge:

It's very easy, take your name and match the title of the books you read to correspond with each letter in your name. And so there will be 3 levels.
Level 1- On a first name basis- (First name only)
Level 2- What your mom yells when you are in trouble (First and middle name(s)
Level 3- The whole enchilada- First, middle and last name.

For example-

C
Y
N
T
H
I
A

Last Edited on: 12/29/14 3:34 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
JoyfulatHome avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Looks great! I'm in starting Jan. 1
Date Posted: 12/29/2014 6:14 PM ET

1. Read More Books in 2015 that 2014. 55 Christian books read in 2014/   53 Christian books so far in 2015 (12/17/15)

2. NICE TA MEETCHA! Read a CF book that is written by an author you've never read before.  

A Promise to Return by Elizabeth Byler Younts (Jan.)                 Pearl in the Sand by Tessa Afshar  (April)

3. AH, THAT NEW-BOOK SMELL Read a new release for 2015

chasing sunsets by Karen Kingsbury (May)        Taken by Dee Henderson  (June)    A Heart's Disguise by Colleen Coble (June)

Daughter of the Regiment by Stephanie Grace Whitson (July)     finding me by Kathryn Cushman  (August)

4. Compass Settings: Read a book set in (1) North (2) South (3) East (4) West

(1) North--All Things Hidden by Tracie Peterson. (March)      (2) South---Gone South by Meg Moseley. (June)

(4) West--Love is a Gentle Stranger by June Masters Bacher (Jan.)   (3)East--Promise to Cherish by Elizabeth Byler Younts (Feb.)

5. Ho, Ho, Ho!!! Read a book that centers around a holiday or celebration.                

Christmas at Rose Hill Farm by Suzanne Woods Fisher   (Oct.)

6. Are you an Activist? Read a Legal/Political Thriller.  Dark Justice by Brandilyn Collins (June)

7. Faith Comes By Hearing: Listen to an Audio Book, fiction or non-fiction as long as it is Christian

The Daughter's Walk by Jane Kirkpatrick (Dec.)

8. Salute to Our Heroes: Read a Military or Police Action book (would also include EMTs and firemen.

Nightshade by Ronie Kendig.   (March)        Tomorrow We Die. By Shawn Grady. (Oct.)

9. I Feel Pretty: Read a chick-lit.  Diary of a Loving Heart by June Masters Bacher. (Jan.)    The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck (Aug.)

10 Didn't Think I Would Make It: Read a book over 400 pages.

The Secret of Pembrooke Park by Julie Klassen. 456 pages. (April)

11. And the Winner Is: Read a Christy Award or INSPY awards http://inspys.com http://www.christyawards.com

Wings of Glass by Gina Holmes (Feb.)  2014 inspys winner

12. A book with a" food item" ( anything you can eat!) in the title.- e.g.- Pride, Prejudice and Cheese Grits

Buttermilk Sky by Jan Watson. (March)

13. A book with a "Girl's name" in the title- e.g.- The Legend of Sheba:Rise of a Queen.

Flowers for Victoria by Sunni Jeffers  (Jan)

14. A book with a "Flower" in the title- e.g. -Roses Have Thorns
         Dreaming on Daisies by Miralee Ferrell. (Oct.)
15. A book with a 'month" in the title e.g.- Lost December

October Joy by Melanie Wilber  (March )  read on my kindle---great book!
16. A book with a 1 word title- e.g.- Outlaw
Inscapable by Nancy Mehl   (March)    Unbreakable by Nancy Mehl  (May)   Honor by Lyn Cote (Nov.)
17. A book with a "color" in the title-e.g.- The Scarlet Letter

The Crimson Cord by Jill Eileen Smith (August)

Bonus Categories:

This is an opportunity for you to finish all of those series that have been sitting on your book shelf looking at you. I don't know about you but I have quite a few. With this challenge you count series completed, not books read. It doesn't matter how many books are in the series or if you've read most of them and only have one or two left to read. The object of this challenge is to finish the series.
Levels:
Curious Finish 2 series
Fascinated Finish 3 series
Addicted Finish 5 series
Obsessed Finish 10 series

I am beginning a series that I have wanted to read for a long time. There are 12 books in the series so we will see. I just finished the first book. The series is  A.D. Chronicles by Bodie and Brock Thoene.

#1 First Light. (Jan.)  #2 Second Touch (May)

The Restoration Series by Dan Walsh and Gary Smalley

#3 The Desire. (Feb.)

Alaskan Courage Series by Dani Pettrey.     #5 Sabotaged ( Feb.)      read the first 4 in 2014.   Complete

Road to Kingdom Series by Nancy Mehl.   #1 Inescapable (March)  #2 Unbreakable (May) #3 Unforeseeable (June)   complete

Name Challenge:

It's very easy, take your name and match the title of the books you read to correspond with each letter in your name. And so there will be 3 levels.

For example-

M      Miracle at Higher Grounds Cafe by Max Lucado (June)                                               

E.       Echoes of Titanic by Mindy Starks Clark & John Campbell Clark. (July)

G.       Good Heavens by Margaret A. Graham  (Jan.)

O   One Last Thing by Rebecca St. JAmes and Nancy Rue. (July)

B    Betsy's Return  by Wanda Brunstetter  (Oct.)

R.   Rdefining Fire by Tracie Peterson. (Oct.)

Y.   You'll Get Through This by Max Lucado. (Oct.)

A. The Amish Groom by Mindy Starns Clark  (May)

N. Nowhere to Turn by Lynette Eason (Sept.)     No Place to Hide by Lynette Eason. (Sept.)

T.  The Promise by Beth Wiseman (Feb.)      Highly recommended!

Last Edited on: 12/17/15 12:15 PM ET - Total times edited: 65
Bama-Booklover avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Lynn's List: Incomplete items are in red
Date Posted: 12/30/2014 9:52 AM ET

1. Read More Books in 2015 that 2014   2014--- 42 CF Read         2015---57 CF Read

2. NICE TA MEETCHA! Read a CF book that is written by an author you've never read before

Summer of Light  W. Dale Cramer

Angels Walking  Karen Kingsbury   Feb 2015

4. Compass Settings: Read a book set in

5. Ho, Ho, Ho!!! Read a book that centers around a holiday or celebration

Christmas Jars Reunion Jason F. Wright

6. Are you an Activist? Read a Legal/Political Thriller

Too Close to Home (Women of Justice, Bk 1) Lynette Eason

7. Faith Comes By Hearing: Listen to an Audio Book, fiction or non-fiction as long as it is Christian

8. Salute to Our Heroes: Read a Military or Police Action book (would also include EMTs and firemen)

Tidings of Peace  Tracie Peterson

9. I Feel Pretty: Read a chick-lit

Let Them Eat Cake (French Twist,Bk 1) Sandra Byrd

10 Didn't Think I Would Make It: Read a book over 400 pages

Yukon Quest (Treasures of the North/Ashes and Ice/Rivers of Gold) Tracie Peterson         704 pages

11. And the Winner Is: Read a Christy Award or INSPY awards http://inspys.com http://www.christyawards.com  

On Distant Shores  Sara Sundlin

12. A book with a" food item" ( anything you can eat!) in the title.- e.g.- Pride, Prejudice and Cheese Grits

The Secret's in the Sauce (Potluck Catering Club, Bk 1)  Linda Evans Shepherd, Eva Marie Everson

13. A book with a "Girl's name" in the title- e.g.- The Legend of Sheba:Rise of a Queen

DAWN's Prelude (Song of Alaska, Bk 1) Tracie Peterson

Love Finds You in Wildrose, North Dakota   Tracey Bateman

August (Praire Grooms, Bk 1)  Kit Morgan

Unforgettable by Trish Perry

WHITE Mountain Brides: Love Paves the Way for the New Republic by Susan Paige Davis

Bonus Categories:

Levels:  Curious – Finish 2 series• Fascinated – Finish 3 series• Addicted – Finish 5 series• Obsessed – Finish 10 series

1. Yukon Quest series by Tracie Peterson (Treasures of the North, Ashes and Ice, Rivers of Gold)
  2. Alibis in Arkansas series (Death on a Deadline, Death of a Diva, Death at a Diner)  Christine Lynxwiler
  3. Song of Alaska series by Tracie Peterson (Dawn's Prelude, Morning's Refrain, Twilight's Serenade)
  4. Ollenberger series by Kim Vogel Sawyer (Waiting for Summer's Return and Where the Heart Leads)

Name Challenge:

A       Alibis in Arkansas series (Death on a Deadline, Death of a Diva, Death at a Diner)  Christine Lynxwiler

R      Raspberries and Vinegar (Farm Fresh Romance,Bk 1) Valerie Comer

T      The Secret's in the Sauce (Potluck Catering Club, Bk 1)  Linda Evans Shepherd, Eva Marie Everson

H     Home for the Holidays   Rebecca Kelly

U    Unexpected Christmas Hero  Kathy Macias

R     The Road to Mercy  Kathleen Harris   Ebook

L     Love Finds You in Wildrose, North Dakota  Tracey Bateman

Y    Yukon Quest (Treasures of the North/Ashes and Ice/Rivers of Gold) Tracie Peterson 

N    Never Noelle Pam Andrews Hanson      Ebook

N    Nickels  Karen Baney        Ebook

P     Promising Angela  Kim Vogel Sawyer     Ebook

A     Angels Walking  Karen Kingsbury

Y    The Yukon Queen (House of Windslow, Bk 17)  Gilbert Morris

N     Nobody  Creston Mapes        ebook

E      Elisha's Bones  Don Hoesel        ebook

Last Edited on: 11/18/15 7:30 PM ET - Total times edited: 48
virginiajeanne avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/30/2014 12:47 PM ET

2.    NICE TA MEETCHA!   For Such a Time by Kate Breslin

3.    AH, THAT NEW-BOOK SMELL    Keep It Shut by Karen Ehman

4.    Compass Settings:  Read a book set in (1) North  No Safe Harbor by Elizabeth Ludwig

(2)  South Whisper Goodbye by Myra Johnson 

(3)  East The Story Keeper by Lisa Wingate

(4)  West Playing by Heart by Anne Mateer

7.   Faith Comes By Hearing:  Listen to an Audio Book, fiction or non-fiction as long as it is Christian 

8.   Salute to Our Heroes:  Read a Military or Police Action book (would also include EMTs and firemen)

9.    I Feel Pretty:  Never the Bride by Rene Gutteridge and Cheryl McKay 

10   Didn't Think I Would Make It:  Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas

11.  And the Winner Is:   The Story Keeper by Lisa Wingate

12.  A book with a" food item" ( anything you can eat!) in the title.- e.g.- Pride, Prejudice and Cheese Grits

13.  A book with a "Girl's name" in the title-
Lizzy & Jane by Katherine Reay

14.   A book with a "Flower" in the title- Daisies are Forever by Liz Tolsma

Bonus Categories:

Levels:

Name Challenge:

Last Edited on: 7/12/15 7:13 AM ET - Total times edited: 11
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/1/2015 7:40 PM ET

1.    Read More Books in 2015 that 2014 - I read 92 Christian books in 2014.  It's going to be hard to beat that.

2.    NICE TA MEETCHA!   Read a CF book that is written by an author you've never read before

4.    Compass Settings:  Read a book set in (1) North  (2)  South  (3)  East  (4)  West

10   Didn't Think I Would Make It:  Read a book over 400 pages

11.  And the Winner Is:   Read a Christy Award or INSPY awards      http://inspys.com  http://www.christyawards.com

13.  A book with a "Girl's name" in the title- e.g.- The Legend of Sheba:Rise of a Queen

14.   A book with a "Flower" in the title- e.g. -Roses Have Thorns

Bonus Categories:

Levels:

Name Challenge:

N

A

Y

D

A

Last Edited on: 1/1/15 7:41 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/7/2015 12:13 PM ET

2.    NICE TA MEETCHA!   Two Brides Too Many by Mona Hodgson

10   Didn't Think I Would Make It:  Bridge to Haven by Francine Rivers

11.  And the Winner Is:   Read a Christy Award or INSPY awards      http://inspys.com  http://www.christyawards.com

14.   A book with a "Flower" in the title-
Lilies in Moonlight by Allison Pittman

Bonus Categories:

Levels:

Name Challenge:

C- Child of Mine by Beverly Lewis
I - Interrupted: When Jesus Wrecks Your Comfortable Christianity by Jen Hatmaker
N -
D -
Y-

Last Edited on: 12/8/15 1:13 PM ET - Total times edited: 5
Generic Profile avatar
jbq
Date Posted: 1/8/2015 11:10 AM ET

1. Read More Books in 2015 that 2014

2. NICE TA MEETCHA! Read a CF book that is written by an author you've never read before Menu for Romance by Kaye Dacus

4. Compass Settings: Read a book set in (1) North (2) South (3) East (4) West

5. Ho, Ho, Ho!!! Read a book that centers around a holiday or celebration

6. Are you an Activist? Read a Legal/Political Thriller

8. Salute to Our Heroes: Read a Military or Police Action book (would also include EMTs and firemen)

9. I Feel Pretty: Read a chick-lit If The Shoe Fits by Sandra Bricker

10 Didn't Think I Would Make It: Read a book over 400 pages

12. A book with a" food item" ( anything you can eat!) in the title.- e.g.- Pride, Prejudice and Cheese Grits Southern Fried Sushi by Jennifer Rogers Spinola

13. A book with a "Girl's name" in the title- e.g.- The Legend of Sheba:Rise of a Queen

Bonus Categories:

Levels:

Name Challenge:

H

E

A

T

H

E

R

Last Edited on: 1/28/15 3:53 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
JoyfulatHome avatar
Subject: This is fun. Anyone else want to jump in.
Date Posted: 5/11/2015 12:43 PM ET

It is fun to find books that fit these categories and gives direction for the next thing to read. I enjoy it every time I participate.

jannymarie avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 6/20/2015 10:33 AM ET

2.    NICE TA MEETCHA!   Read a CF book that is written by an author you've never read before Heiress of Winterwood (Whispers on the Moors, Bk 1) 3/25/15

4.    Compass Settings:  Read a book set in (1) North Murder in Plain Sight (Amish Suspense, Bk 1) 5/20/15 (2) South Chasing Sunsets (Cedar Key, Bk 1) 6/10/15 (3) East  Hatteras Girl 10/14/15 (4) West Swept Away (Trouble in Texas, Bk 1) 3/31/15 

5.    Ho, Ho, Ho!!!  Read a book that centers around a holiday or celebration Trapped (Private Justice, Bk 2) 12/7/15

6.    Are you an Activist? Read a Legal/Political Thriller Too Close to Home (Women of Justice, Bk 1) 1/11/15

8.   Salute to Our Heroes:  Read a Military or Police Action book (would also include EMTs and firemen) Footsteps 7/13/15

9.    I Feel Pretty:  Read a chick-lit The Wedding Dress 2/5/15

10   Didn't Think I Would Make It:  Read a book over 400 pages Things Left Unspoken 6/10/15

11.  And the Winner Is:   Read a Christy Award or INSPY awards      http://inspys.com  http://www.christyawards.com -Vanished (Private Justice, Bk 1) 3/6/15

12.  A book with a" food item" ( anything you can eat!) in the title.-A Plain Scandal (Appleseed Creek, Bk 2) 2/22/15

13.  A book with a "Girl's name" in the title What Sarah Saw: Without a Trace, Bk 1 2/11/15

14.   A book with a "Flower" in the title- Blowing on Dandelions (Love Blossoms in Oregon, Bk 1) 5/13/15

15.   A book with a 'month" in the title June Bug 2/27/15

16.   A book with a 1 word title- Stardust: A Novel 1/8/15

17.   A book with a "color" in the title-e.g.- The Scarlet Letter  Christmas Roses 11/16/15

Bonus Categories:

Levels:

Name Challenge:

Last Edited on: 12/7/15 5:54 PM ET - Total times edited: 11