Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Classic Literature

Topic: 2016 Classics Challenge --Lists Only

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
susank17 avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: 2016 Classics Challenge --Lists Only
Date Posted: 12/29/2015 1:36 PM ET

Choose 6 for a Light Challenge or 12 for the full Challenge.

1.  A 19th Century Classic - any book published between 1800 and 1899.

2.  A 20th Century Classic - any book published between 1900 and 1966.

3.  A classic by a woman author

4.  A classic in translation.  Any book originally written published in a language other than your native language.

5.  A classic by a non-white author. Can be African-American, Asian, Latino, Native American, etc.

6.  An adventure classic - can be fiction or non-fiction. Children's classics like Treasure Island are acceptable. 

7.  A fantasy, science fiction, or dystopian classic. Dystopian could include classics like 1984, and children's classics like The Hobbit are acceptable. 

8.  A classic detective novel. It must include a detective, amateur or professional. This list of books from the Golden Age of Detective Fiction is a great starting point if you're looking for ideas.

9.  A classic which includes the name of a place in the title.  It can be the name of a house, a town, a street, etc. Examples include Bleak House, Main Street, The Belly of Paris, or The Vicar of Wakefield.

10. A classic which has been banned or censored.  For ideas: http://www.ala.org/bbooks/frequentlychallengedbooks/classics  If possible, you might mention why this book was banned or censored.

11. Re-read a classic you read in school (high school or college).  If it's a book you loved, does it stand the test of time?  If it's a book you disliked, is it any better a second time around?

12. A volume of classic short stories. This must be one complete volume, at least 8 short stories. It can be an anthology of stories by different authors, or all the stories can be by a single author. Children's stories are acceptable in this category also.

***WILD CARD*** One free choice selection in place of any other selection.  May be used twice.

Last Edited on: 12/29/15 10:45 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
escapeartistk avatar
Date Posted: 12/29/2015 2:12 PM ET

Light Challenge - aiming for 6 from the list below...

1.  A 19th Century Classic - any book published between 1800 and 1899: Carmilla by Le Fanu (2/19/16)

2.  A 20th Century Classic - any book published between 1900 and 1966: something by Patricia Highsmith

3.  A classic by a woman author - Lady Audley's Secret by Braddon (8/28/16)

4.  A classic in translation - And Quiet Flows the Don by Sholokhov or The Charterhouse of Parma by Stendhal 

5.  A classic by a non-white author - Rickshaw Boy by Lao

6.  An adventure classic - The Scarlet Pimpernel by Orczy (1/3/15)

7.  A fantasy, science fiction, or dystopian classic - Alas, Babylon by Frank (3/27/16)

8.  A classic detective novelWhose Body by Sayers (5/30/16)

9.  A classic which includes the name of a place in the title - Cannery Row by Steinbeck (2/16/16)

10. A classic which has been banned or censored. If possible, you might mention why this book was banned or censored - The Call of the Wild by London, All the King's Men by Warren or Gone with the Wind by Mitchell

11. Re-read a classic you read in school (high school or college).  If it's a book you loved, does it stand the test of time?  If it's a book you disliked, is it any better a second time around?: Harriet, die kleine Detektivin (Harriet the Spy) by Fitzhugh 

12. A volume of classic short stories. This must be one complete volume, at least 8 short stories. It can be an anthology of stories by different authors, or all the stories can be by a single author. Children's stories are acceptable in this category also.

***WILD CARD*** One free choice selection in place of any other selection.  May be used twice.

Last Edited on: 8/28/16 11:45 PM ET - Total times edited: 11
susank17 avatar
Date Posted: 12/29/2015 10:38 PM ET

I'm going to commit to 12.  We shall see....

1.  A 19th Century Classic -

2.  A 20th Century Classic - any book published between 1900 and 1966. The 42nd Parallel - John Dos Passos

4.  A classic in translationThe Saga of Gosta Berling - Selma Lagerlof 1891 Sweden, 1909 Nobelist

5.  A classic by a non-white author. A House for Mr. Biswas - V. S. Naipaul

6.  An adventure classic -

7.  A fantasy, science fiction, or dystopian classic. Childhood's End- Arthur C. Clarke (my husband's favorite)

8.  A classic detective novel.   The Rubber Band - Rex Stout (Nero Wolfe 1936) 2/20 (4 Stars)

9.  A classic which includes the name of a place in the title.  It can be the name of a house, a town, a street, etc. Examples include Bleak House, Main Street, The Belly of Paris, or The Vicar of Wakefield.

10. A classic which has been banned or censored. Ulysses - James Joyce 1922

11. Re-read a classic you read in school (high school or college).  -The Odyssey - Homer 1/27

12. A volume of classic short stories. A Curtain of Green & other stories - Eudora Welty 1941 or The Stories of Edith Wharton, Vol. 1

Last Edited on: 2/20/16 9:21 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 12/30/2015 1:29 PM ET

RE Kristen K: Lao She also wrote The Drum Singers, one of the saddest novels I've ever read. The Great Beastly Cultural Revolution drove Lao She to suicide in 1966.

RE Susan K: The Rubber Band was a really good choice. I read it for a challenge in 2014. The review is here.

I will read the following for this challenge.

updated January 30 1/ A 19th Century Classic: The Three Clerks - AnthonyTrollope. My review is here.

updated May 25 2/ A 20th Century Classic (1900 to 1966): Jesting Pilate – Aldous Huxley. My review is here..

updated April 19 3/ A classic by a woman author: An Englishwoman in America – Isabella Bird. My review is here.

updated March 16 4/ A classic in translation:Uncle Charles has Locked Himself in – Georges Simenon. My review is here.

updated February 17 5/ A classic by a non-white author: The Life and Times of Frederick Douglass My review is here.

updated January 26 6/ An adventure classic (fiction or non-fiction): Tent Life in Siberia by George Lennan My review is here.

updated March 31 7/ A fantasy, science fiction, or dystopian classic: Brave New World - Aldous Huxley. My review is here.

updated March 10 8/ A classic detective novel: Over My Dead Body - Rex Stout My review is here.

updated March 28 9/ A classic which includes the name of a place in the title: London Labour and the London Poor - Henry Mayhew. My review is here.

updated July 19 10/ A classic which has been banned or censored: Tropic of Cancer - Henry Miller. My review is here.

updated February 3 11/ Re-read a classic: Catch-22 - Joseph Heller. My review is here.

updated January 28 12/ A volume of classic short stories: Trouble is My Business – Raymond Chandler. My review is here.

U-Pick-Um Categories: Click on the title to go to the review

Pop History: The Devils of Loudon – Aldous Huxley

Belle France: The Family Lie – Georges Simenon

War - What it is Good for: A Writer at War – Vasily Grossman

An Early Mystery: The Moonstone – Wilkie Collins

Autobiography: Call Me Lucky – Bing Crosby

Manhattan Mystery:  The Case of the Black Orchids – Rex Stout

Perry, Della, and Paul: The Case of the Shoplifter’s Shoe – Erle Stanley Gardner

Country Doings:  Orley Farm – Anthony Trollope

Noir: Red Harvest – Dashiell Hammett

Early Ethnography:  Nightless City - J.E. de Becker

Last Edited on: 7/19/16 9:43 AM ET - Total times edited: 16
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/30/2015 3:52 PM ET

do you think it is acceptable to start a new challenge if you did not finish the challenge from last year?

susank17 avatar
Date Posted: 12/31/2015 12:48 PM ET

Charles:  Of course!  Life gets in the way of reading sometimes.  For me, a remodel and young adults moving in and out cut my reading totals by 40%.

Tomorrow starts a new year and I'm resolved to do a lot better this year!

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 12/31/2015 12:56 PM ET

Good job Susan!  It's August 29, the day before my birthday and I've finished a full challenge.  It was fun and enlightening.  My favorite book was Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston but I also really enjoyed Parable of the Talents by Octavia Butler, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling, The Cross by Sigrid Undset and my reread of The Professor's House by Willa Cather. 

1.  A 19th Century Classic - any book published between 1800 and 1899.  Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope, 2/14/2016, 4 stars

2.  A 20th Century Classic - any book published between 1900 and 1966.  Look Homeward Angel by Thomas Wolfe (1929), 6/18/2016, 4 stars

3.  A classic by a woman author. The Professor's House by Willa Cather (a reread from when I read everything I could find by Cather.), 3/30/2016, 4.5 stars

4.  A classic in translation.  Any book originally written published in a language other than your native language.  The Cross by Sigrid Undset, 3/15/2016, 4 stars

5.  A classic by a non-white author.  Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston, 8/29/2016, 5 stars

6.  An adventure classic - can be fiction or non-fiction. Children's classics like Treasure Island are acceptableAlice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll (first published in 1865, 1/23/2016, 3 stars

7.  A fantasy, science fiction, or dystopian classic. Dystopian could include classics like 1984, and children's classics like The Hobbit are acceptable.  Parable of the Talents by Octavia Butler, 3/29/2016, 5 stars

8.  A classic detective novel. It must include a detective, amateur or professional. This list of books from the Golden Age of Detective Fiction is a great starting point if you're looking for ideas.  The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler, 3/20/2016, 3 stars

9.  A classic which includes the name of a place in the title.  It can be the name of a house, a town, a street, etc. Examples include Bleak House,Main StreetThe Belly of Paris, or The Vicar of Wakefield.  Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck, 1/15/2015, 3 stars.

10. A classic which has been banned or censored.  For ideas: http://www.ala.org/bbooks/frequentlychallengedbooks/classics  If possible, you might mention why this book was banned or censored.  The Harry Potter series has been banned.  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling, 6/30/2016, 5 stars

11. Re-read a classic you read in school (high school or college).  If it's a book you loved, does it stand the test of time?  If it's a book you disliked, is it any better a second time around?   Invisible Man by H.G. Wells, 720/2016, 3 stars

12. A volume of classic short stories. This must be one complete volume, at least 8 short stories. It can be an anthology of stories by different authors, or all the stories can be by a single author. Children's stories are acceptable in this category also.  The Luck of Roaring Camp & Other Stories by Bret Harte, 8/15/2016, 4 stars.

Last Edited on: 11/22/16 6:23 PM ET - Total times edited: 42
kathyk avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/1/2016 12:40 AM ET

Choose 6 for a Light Challenge

4.  A classic in translation.  Any book originally written published in a language other than your native language.

5.  A classic by a non-white author. Can be African-American, Asian, Latino, Native American, etc.

6.  An adventure classic - can be fiction or non-fiction. Children's classics like Treasure Island are acceptable. 

7.  A fantasy, science fiction, or dystopian classic. Dystopian could include classics like 1984, and children's classics like The Hobbit are acceptable. 

8.  A classic detective novel. It must include a detective, amateur or professional. This list of books from the Golden Age of Detective Fiction is a great starting point if you're looking for ideas.

10. A classic which has been banned or censored.  For ideas: http://www.ala.org/bbooks/frequentlychallengedbooks/classics  If possible, you might mention why this book was banned or censored.

11. Re-read a classic you read in school (high school or college).  If it's a book you loved, does it stand the test of time?  If it's a book you disliked, is it any better a second time around?

12. A volume of classic short stories. This must be one complete volume, at least 8 short stories. It can be an anthology of stories by different authors, or all the stories can be by a single author. Children's stories are acceptable in this category also.

Last Edited on: 1/1/16 12:41 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
janete avatar
Date Posted: 1/2/2016 4:28 PM ET

Last Edited on: 1/10/16 4:09 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
chelsea avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/2/2016 11:54 PM ET

1.  A 19th Century Classic - any book published between 1800 and 1899.  

2.  A 20th Century Classic - any book published between 1900 and 1966.

3.  A classic by a woman author.

6.  An adventure classic - can be fiction or non-fiction. Children's classics like Treasure Island are acceptable. 

7.  Wild Card   Classic Southern Literature   The Unvanquished by William Faulkner

8.  A classic detective novel. It must include a detective, amateur or professional.   The Dutch Shoe Mystery by Ellery Queen

9.  A classic which includes the name of a place in the title.  Cannery Row by John Steinbeck

10. A classic which has been banned or censored.  For ideas: http://www.ala.org/bbooks/frequentlychallengedbooks/classics  If possible, you might mention why this book was banned or censored.

11. Re-read a classic you read in school (high school or college).  If it's a book you loved, does it stand the test of time?  If it's a book you disliked, is it any better a second time around?

12. A volume of classic short stories. This must be one complete volume, at least 8 short stories. It can be an anthology of stories by different authors, or all the stories can be by a single author. Children's stories are acceptable in this category also.

Choose 6 for a lite challenge.

shelsbooks avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/4/2016 10:21 AM ET

1.  A 19th Century Classic -   The Woman in White, Wilkie Collins. Completed June 2016.*****

3.  A classic by a woman authorThe Scarlet Pimpernel, Baroness Orczy.

6.  An adventure classic - 

7.  A fantasy, science fiction, or dystopian classic. 

8.  A classic detective novel.  The Leavenworth Case,  Anna Katherine Green. Completed Jan. 2016. ****

9.  A classic which includes the name of a place in the title.  Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte. Completed 11/1/16*****
10. A classic which has been banned or censored.  For ideas: http://www.ala.org/bbooks/frequentlychallengedbooks/classics  If possible, you might mention why this book was banned or censored.

11. Re-read a classic you read in school (high school or college).  If it's a book you loved, does it stand the test of time?  If it's a book you disliked, is it any better a second time around?

Last Edited on: 11/1/16 6:40 PM ET - Total times edited: 5
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/4/2016 12:28 PM ET

I'm doing 6 books for a Light Challenge this year. As you can see, most of them are Westerns. I might increase it to a 12-book-challenge later on, if I happen to get more classics fitting the remaining catagories. If somebody has a lot of classics on their bookshelf and is willing to do a deal on them, feel free to let me know, as I may be interested. :) Thanks.

1. A 19th Century Classic. The Last of the Mohicans, by James Fenimore Cooper, originally written 1826 (DONE)

2. A 20th Century Classic. Custer, by Will Henry, a set of two short novels from 1953 and 1966 (DONE)

3. A classic by a woman author.

4. A classic in translation.

5. A classic by a non-white author.

6. An adventure classic. The Mysterious Rider, by Zane Grey, written 1921(DONE)

7. A fantasy, science fiction, or dystopian classic.

8. A classic detective novel.

9. A classic which includes the name of a place in the title.

10. A classic which has been banned or censored.

11. Re-read a classic you read in school (high school or college).

12. A volume of classic short stories. The Luck of Roaring Camp & Other Stories, by Bret Harte, all stories written previous to 1902 (DONE)

***WILD CARD*** To Tame a Land, by Louis L'Amour, written 1955 (DONE), and Billy Budd, by Herman Melville, written before 1891 but first published in 1924 (DONE)

YAY! I'VE COMPLETED THE CHALLENGE! WHAT FUN! laugh

Last Edited on: 4/11/16 6:05 PM ET - Total times edited: 6
booknookchick avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide medal
Date Posted: 1/4/2016 8:50 PM ET

5.  A classic by a non-white author. Can be African-American, Asian, Latino, Native American, etc.http://www.paperbackswap.com/Know-Why-Caged-Maya-Angelou/book/0553279378/ (A wish list book .. unfortunately by copy is ex-library and in terrible condition). 

6.  An adventure classic - can be fiction or non-fiction. Children's classics like Treasure Island are acceptable. 

7.  A fantasy, science fiction, or dystopian classic. Dystopian could include classics like 1984, and children's classics like The Hobbit are acceptable. 

8.  A classic detective novel. It must include a detective, amateur or professional. This list of books from the Golden Age of Detective Fiction is a great starting point if you're looking for ideas.

9.  A classic which includes the name of a place in the title.  It can be the name of a house, a town, a street, etc. Examples include Bleak House,Main StreetThe Belly of Paris, or The Vicar of Wakefield.

Last Edited on: 4/21/16 9:48 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
garrity avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 2/16/2016 3:18 PM ET

1.  A 19th Century Classic - any book published between 1800 and 1899.  The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain

3.  A classic by a woman author.   Diary of a Provincial Lady by E M Delafield

6.  An adventure classic - can be fiction or non-fiction. Children's classics like Treasure Island are acceptable.   The Man Who Never was by Ewen Montagu

7.  A fantasy, science fiction, or dystopian classic. Dystopian could include classics like 1984, and children's classics like The Hobbit are acceptable.   Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees

8.  A classic detective novel. It must include a detective, amateur or professional. This list of books from the Golden Age of Detective Fiction is a great starting point if you're looking for ideas.  Death is No Sportsman by Cyril Hare

9.  A classic which includes the name of a place in the title.  It can be the name of a house, a town, a street, etc. Examples include Bleak House, Main Street, The Belly of Paris, or The Vicar of Wakefield.  A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

Last Edited on: 11/23/16 11:14 PM ET - Total times edited: 4
mickmckeown avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: 2016 Classic List
Date Posted: 2/19/2016 10:54 PM ET

• Notes from Underground by Fodor Dostoevsky

• The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene

• To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

• Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev

• Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

• White Fang by Jack London

7.  A fantasy, science fiction, or dystopian classic. Dystopian could include classics like 1984, and children's classics like The Hobbit are acceptable. 

• Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein

8.  A classic detective novel. It must include a detective, amateur or professional. This list of books from the Golden Age of Detective Fiction is a great starting point if you're looking for ideas.

• Double Indeminity by James Cain

9.  A classic which includes the name of a place in the title.  It can be the name of a house, a town, a street, etc. Examples include Bleak House,Main StreetThe Belly of Paris, or The Vicar of Wakefield.

• The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder

• The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald

• Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger

• SEE WILDCARD

***WILD CARD*** One free choice selection in place of any other selection.  May be used twice

• Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Last Edited on: 2/29/16 9:48 PM ET - Total times edited: 1