Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Biographies & Memoirs

Topic: 2019 Nonfiction/Biographical/Reference Challenge - Lists Here

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Subject: 2019 Nonfiction/Biographical/Reference Challenge - Lists Here
Date Posted: 12/20/2018 6:08 PM ET

(Read your choice for any category but be sure to tell us which and how you feel about it.)

WILD CARDS:  Substitute your personal choice for any of the categories below.  Of course, the term someone could be defined as an animal, too.  Some of us read more in one area than another but do try a few new categories!  And you may certainly do rereads.

1.  Travel:  Read a book about travel or a book where there is considerable traveling by one or more characters (explain), a book about somewhere you would like to travel (tell us why) or about a region that fascinates you.  

2.   The Public Eye:  Read a book about anyone who finds themself in the public eye, a book about leadership or a leader, or a book about a historical event. 

3.   An Important Book:  Read a book that is a classic within its genre, a book that was ia best seller during a year important to you (graduation, marriage, retirement, or another auspicious occasion), or reread a memorable or favorite book.

4.  Humor:  Read a book by a comedian, or read a book that tickles your funny bone (a joke book, for example), read a biography or nonfiction book that makes you feel good (tell us why).

5.  It's new or nearly new!  Read a book that was published in 2016 - 2019 or read a book by an author new to you.

6.  Oldie but goodie:  Read a book about someone in the public eye who has died, read a book about an activity rarely practiced today, read a book about growing old with a fictional or living character or  or read a book that was written 100 years ago.

7.  Variety choices:  Read a book about

-- Espionage

-- Science

-- a grand theft, crime  or someone associated with crime in any manner (daughter, son, etc.) 

-- race/religion-spiritualism/gender  

-- historical person or event

8.  From your TBR:  Read the oldest book on your shelf, read the newest book on your shelf or read any book you have been wanting to read. 

9.  It's your choice!  Read a book that involves the arts or any nonfiction book you wish.

Last Edited on: 1/7/19 6:29 PM ET - Total times edited: 16
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/20/2018 6:17 PM ET

(Read your choice for any category but be sure to tell us which and how you feel about it.)

WILD CARDS:  Substitute your personal choice for any of the categories below.  Of course, the term someone could be defined as an animal, too.  Some of us read more in one area than another but do try a few new categories!  And you may certainly do rereads.

1.  Travel:  Read a book about travel or a book where there is considerable traveling by one or more characters (explain), a book abouto somewhere you would like to travel (tell us why) or about a region that fascinates youIllumination in the Flatwoods byJoe Hutto, 1/11/2019 

2.   The Public Eye:  Read a book about anyone who finds themself in the public eye, a book about leadership or a leader, or a book about a historical event.  Becoming by Michelle Obama, 3/6/2019, 5 stars  Such a sensitive passionate book.  I only admire this wonderful woman more after reading her book.

3.   An Important Book:  Read a book that is a classic within its genre, a book that was important to you during a year of graduation, marriage, retirement, or another auspicious occasion, or reread a memorable or favorite book.

4.  Humor:   Read a biography or nonfiction book that makes you feel good (tell us why).  Alex and Me by Dr. Irene M. Pepperberg, 1/20/2019, 4 stars  (Love hearing how nonhuman creatures can communicate.  Obviously, Alex was a most unusual parrot.)

5.  It's new or nearly new!  Read a book that was published in 2016 - 2019 or read a book by an author new to you.  The River of Doubt : Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard, 10/26/2019, 5 stars.

6.  Oldie but goodie:  Read a book about someone in the public eye who has died, read a book about an activity rarely practiced today, read a book about growing old with a fictional or living character or  or read a book that was written 100 years ago. Marlene by C. W. Gortner, 8/13/2019. 5 stars

-- Espionage

-- Science  The Wind Masters : The Lives of North American Birds of Prey by Peter Dunne 5 stars, 8/6/2019  This is an incredible read.  Didn't realize there was so much difference in this class of birds.  Love watching them and reading about them.  We have Cooper's hawks cruising over our home and perching in our trees as well as an osprey who perches on our yardlight pole occasionally to eat his/her fish from the lake.

-- a grand theft, crime  or someone associated with crime in any manner (daughter, son, etc.)  Mob Daughter by Karen Gravano, 2/6/2019, 3 stars  This is an interesting story about a woman who grew up pampered and cherished but her father was an important crime figure whose money and connections made her life what it was.  She tells how it felt to her when her father turned his back on "the life."

-- race/religion/spiritualism/gender  Angels in My Hair by Lorna Byrne, 2/26/2019, 3 stars  The author discusses her experiences with angels, shares how her life has been affected by these incidents and urges others to get in touch with the angels in their lives.

-- historical person or event  We Die Alone by David Haworth, 1/28/2019, 5 stars  Unbelievable story about a Norwegian soldier who survived a German attack on his 12 man group which was to destroy a German air base.  The mission failed but the sole survivor and his story is one that could never be told until the war ended.  

8.  From your TBR:  Read the oldest book on your shelf, read the newest book on your shelf or read any book you have been wanting to read.  Mornings on Horseback by David McCullough, 2/17/2019, 3 stars  Not at all what I expected of this author.  Felt I was reading a book with a considerable amount of name dropping.

9.  It's your choice!  Read a book that involves the arts or any nonfiction book you wish

The Power of Being Yourself by Joe Plumeri, 2/20/2019, 3 stars; A Child Called "It"  by Dave Pelzer, 4 stars  This real life story details the author's experiences as a child.  Outstanding read.

Last Edited on: 11/19/19 9:35 PM ET - Total times edited: 50
susank17 avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/23/2018 12:58 AM ET

1.  Travel:  Read a book about travel or a book where there is considerable traveling by one or more characters (explain), a book about somewhere you would like to travel (tell us why) or about a region that fascinates you. The Lost City of the Monkey God - Douglas Preston 6/4  Preston joins an archeological expedition to Central America, Guatemala, to locate the pre-Columbian city buried in the jungle.  A history of past expeditions, politics, tropical diseases, history and science.

2.   The Public Eye:  Read a book about anyone who finds themself in the public eye, a book about leadership or a leader, or a book about a historical event. The Library Book - Susan Orlean 6/7 The story of the 1986 fire that destroyed thousands of books in the Los Angeles Public Library, a historic buiding downtown. Fascinating local history, the science of book recovery after fire and water damage, the current state of libraries today.

4.  Humor:  Read a book by a comedian, or read a book that tickles your funny bone (a joke book, for example), read a biography or nonfiction book that makes you feel good (tell us why).  Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim - David Sederis 10/10 Audo book read on vacation, very funny stories about growing up with his family

5.  It's new or nearly new!  Read a book that was published in 2016 - 2019 or read a book by an author new to you. Cork Dork - Bianca Bosker 7/6 Free lance journalist Bosker decides to become a wine sommelier in NYC, a career with few women. We learn a lot about the wine industry and the special qualities that make up a sommelier.

6.  Oldie but goodie:  Read a book about someone in the public eye who has died, read a book about an activity rarely practiced today, read a book about growing old with a fictional or living character or  or read a book that was written 100 years ago.

-- Espionage

-- Science

-- a grand theft, crime  or someone associated with crime in any manner (daughter, son, etc.) 

8.  From your TBR:  Read the oldest book on your shelf, read the newest book on your shelf or read any book you have been wanting to readKilling Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly & Martin Dugard

9.  It's your choice!  Read a book that involves the arts or any nonfiction book you wish. Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir - Ruth Reichl 7/14.  Food writer Reichl recounts her years with Gourmet magazine and the reasons for its demise.

Last Edited on: 12/28/19 11:08 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: My Spot - Looking forward to this!
Date Posted: 1/4/2019 2:36 PM ET

1.  Travel:  Read a book about travel or a book where there is considerable traveling by one or more characters (explain), a book about somewhere you would like to travel (tell us why) or about a region that fascinates you.  

• The World of Little House (Little House) :: Carolyn Strom Collins This book discusses each of the books in the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder, and along with each book, it gives an activity and a recipe that kids could do. It also gave a possible floor plan for each house in the series. In the discussion, there is a lot of discussion of the travelling this family did, including some of the travels (to IA, for example) that are not included in the series. There is also some historical information and biographical information that is not in the series. Too bad the book is no longer postable!

2.   The Public Eye:  Read a book about anyone who finds themself in the public eye, a book about leadership or a leader, or a book about a historical event. 

3.   An Important Book:  Read a book that is a classic within its genre, a book that was ia best seller during a year important to you (graduation, marriage, retirement, or another auspicious occasion), or reread a memorable or favorite book.

4.  Humor:  Read a book by a comedian, or read a book that tickles your funny bone (a joke book, for example), read a biography or nonfiction book that makes you feel good (tell us why).

5.  It's new or nearly new!  Read a book that was published in 2016 - 2019 or read a book by an author new to you.

-- Espionage

-- Science

• Just Enough Light for the Step I'm on by Stormie Omartian 4 stars This book had 20 chapters. Each chapter had a reflection on how God gives us light, and how to experience that light. Each chapter finished with a prayer and a selection of related Bible verses. I like the author's style, which is just like she was talking to you in a cozy setting. I appreciate that she bases what she says on the Bible. Because each chapter was separate, I only read one or two chapters a day. I learned a few things I can apply to my life, and I definitely added a few verses to the list I want to memorize.

8.  From your TBR:  Read the oldest book on your shelf, read the newest book on your shelf or read any book you have been wanting to read. 

• Comfort Zones: Planning Your Future (Crisp Professional Series) :: Elwood N. Chapman This was the oldest nonfiction on my TBR, and a better read than I expected. short, interesting chapters that made me think about things I had not thought through as I planned my future. I enjoyed the situations at the end of each chapter and the quizzes at the end of each chapter. When I get closer to retirement I may find a newer edition of this book and go through it again.

9.  It's your choice!  Read a book that involves the arts or any nonfiction book you wish.

• Matters of the Heart: Stop Trying to Fix the Old , Let God Give You Something New :: Juanita Bynum (3 stars)  This book was about the need for us to let God install a new heart in us; that our minds cannot bring us to be what God intends for us to be, but that he gives us a new heart, and the changes come from there out. I found some of the ways the author used science to bolster her points to be a little questionable, but I also believe that her central theme is correct. In fact, I think God wants me to learn this because I have now by coincidence read several books with the same theme, even though I didn't know they were going to be the same theme!

Last Edited on: 9/8/19 1:22 AM ET - Total times edited: 8
jannymarie avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/5/2019 10:19 AM ET

1.  Travel:  Read a book about travel or a book where there is considerable traveling by one or more characters (explain), a book about somewhere you would like to travel (tell us why) or about a region that fascinates you. 

2.   The Public Eye:  Read a book about anyone who finds themself in the public eye, a book about leadership or a leader, or a book about a historical event. 

4.  Humor:  Read a book by a comedian, or read a book that tickles your funny bone (a joke book, for example), read a biography or nonfiction book that makes you feel good (tell us why).

5.  It's new or nearly new!  Read a book that was published in 2016 - 2019 or read a book by an author new to you.Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover 10/15/19

7.  Variety choices:  Read a book about

-- Espionage

-- Science

8.  From your TBR:  Read the oldest book on your shelf, read the newest book on your shelf or read any book you have been wanting to read

9.  It's your choice!  Read a book that involves the arts or any nonfiction book you wish.

Last Edited on: 10/15/19 8:19 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
rjvagabond avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/6/2019 1:51 PM ET

Yay! All done!  A few books are fiction but are based on real events.  

Okay, I'm in and will try and keep my fullfilments to books that are: Nonfiction/Biographical/Reference

yes 1.  Travel:  Read a book about travel or a book where there is considerable traveling by one or more characters (explain), a book about somewhere you would like to travel (tell us why) or about a region that fascinates you.  Don't Make Me Pull Over!: An Informal History of the Family Road Trip by Richard Ratay

yes 2.   The Public Eye:  Read a book about anyone who finds themself in the public eye, a book about leadership or a leader, or a book about a historical event.   Becoming by Michele Obama

yes 3.   An Important Book:  Read a book that is a classic within its genre, a book that was a best seller during a year important to you (graduation, marriage, retirement, or another auspicious occasion), or reread a memorable or favorite book. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

yes 4.  Humor:  Read a book by a comedian, or read a book that tickles your funny bone (a joke book, for example), read a biography or nonfiction book that makes you feel good (tell us why). Latin for All Occasions: Lingua Latina Occasionibus Omnibus by Henry Beard

yes 5.  It's new or nearly new!  Read a book that was published in 2016 - 2019 or read a book by an author new to you.  Fear by Bob Woodward.  Both an author new to me and book published within the window provided.

yes 6.  Oldie but goodie:  Read a book about someone in the public eye who has died, read a book about an activity rarely practiced today, read a book about growing old with a fictional or living character or read a book that was written 100 years ago.  Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain

7.  Variety choices:  Read a book about

yes -- Espionage  Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford

yes -- Science  The Planets: Photographs from the Archives of NASA by Nirmala Nataraj

yes -- a grand theft, crime or someone associated with crime in any manner (daughter, son, etc.)  A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters

yes -- race/religion-spiritualism/gender  Women & Power by Mary Beard

yes -- historical person or event  All the Gallant Men: An American Sailor's Firsthand Account of Pearl Harbor by Don Stratton

yes 8.  From your TBR:  Read the oldest book on your shelf, read the newest book on your shelf or read any book you have been wanting to read.  A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

yes 9.  It's your choice!  Read a book that involves the arts or any nonfiction book you wish.  100 Years of London by Mirrorpix Archives

Last Edited on: 7/5/19 11:05 PM ET - Total times edited: 7
rjvagabond avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/6/2019 2:02 PM ET

BTW, thought I should mention there is no #3 challenge.  

R E K, it looks like you're the master creator of the challenge list here.  I'd like to forward a suggestion or two from my own 2019 reading challenge list that might make a broad enough challenge to fit here, those would be:

"A book that is considered a classic within its genre"

or

"A book that was a bestseller in a year important to you (graduation, marriage, retired, etc)"

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/7/2019 6:30 PM ET

My goof.  Your catch rjvagabond.  Thanks.  See the changes above.

Last Edited on: 1/7/19 6:30 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
nuquilter avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/13/2019 10:34 AM ET

Intentional Living: Choosing a Life that Matters - John C. Maxwell

-- Espionage

-- Science

Last Edited on: 8/25/19 10:18 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Read a Couple
Date Posted: 2/4/2019 12:19 PM ET

I read these in January and am catching up with my posting.

1. travel (tell us why) or about a region that fascinates you.  

• The World of Little House (Little House) :: Carolyn Strom Collins This book discusses each of the books in the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder, and along with each book, it gives an activity and a recipe that kids could do. It also gave a possible floor plan for each house in the series. In the discussion, there is a lot of discussion of the travelling this family did, including some of the travels (to IA, for example) that are not included in the series. There is also some historical information and biographical information that is not in the series. Too bad the book is no longer postable!

• Comfort Zones: Planning Your Future (Crisp Professional Series) :: Elwood N. Chapman This was the oldest nonfiction on my TBR, and a better read than I expected. short, interesting chapters that made me think about things I had not thought through as I planned my future. I enjoyed the situations at the end of each chapter and the quizzes at the end of each chapter. When I get closer to retirement I may find a newer edition of this book and go through it again.