Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: 2022 Cozy Mystery Challenge Discussion Topic

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
MartieKr avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/28/2022 11:22 AM ET

I just finished Backdrop Dead: A Magnolia Showboat Mystery by Cynthia Thompson.  Right now it is only in Kindle format. I really liked this one.  The MC is a librarian in a small town.  Her mother's brother dies and leaves them a showboat on the Mississippi River. Reluctantly she moves with her mother and brother and takes on the responsibilities of running the onboard theater, paying the enornous debts left by her uncle, and investigating the strange death of her uncle and another member of the crew.  Nicely written, likable characters and a suprise ending made this one a fun read.

MartieKr avatar
Date Posted: 4/2/2022 8:28 AM ET

I just read In the Company of Witches by Auralee Wallace.  This is a new series and a new author for me.  The MC and her aunts own a B& B and trouble ensues when a difficult guest is murdered and her aunt is the primary suspect.  The MC speaks to ghosts but has lost her magical ability due to a shattering personal event and she tries to do her part to clear her aunt by old fashion investigative means. Uncle Gideon and Dog are great counterpoints to the aunts and Mr. Henderson, the neighbor, and Nixie, the shopgirl, are obsessed with proving magic exists.  

This is one of the best paranormal cozies I've read in a long time.  The characters come to life, the old family feud provides fuel to the story, and the ending is bittersweet. 

BookFan92 avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/2/2022 11:09 AM ET

Thanks for the recommendation, Mary. It does sound good.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/4/2022 7:42 AM ET

Mary I just added the book to my WL

I am enjoying a new cozy Getaway with Murder by Diane Kelly. Love the setting of Blue Ridge Mountains in north west North Carolina. Good Main character and supporting characters. Love the dog and cat. I think I will enjoy this series.

Last Edited on: 4/4/22 7:43 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
MartieKr avatar
Date Posted: 4/4/2022 8:01 AM ET

Heidi and Alice - I get many books on Kindle Unlimited and from Hoopla from the library for my Kindle.  The books often come out on Kindle first and then paperback.  

quiltpurple avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/8/2022 5:33 PM ET

I just finished A Plus One for Murder and it was one of the best cozies that I have read in a long time.  

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Plus One for Murder
Date Posted: 4/8/2022 8:06 PM ET

I'm in the middle of that book! I started it a while back and had to set it aside to read for swaps.

keepmelaffn avatar
Date Posted: 4/8/2022 9:57 PM ET

I read that one recently and loved it!

A Perilous Pal comes out on my birthday July 5th. I'm treating myself to a copy from Amazon.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/10/2022 7:22 AM ET

I am enjoying a historical Cozy In the Market for Murder by T E Kinsey. Set in 1909 England. Wonderful series. Great characters and humor.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 4/29/2022 7:18 AM ET

I am reading a new to me author and series

A Side of Murder by Amy Pershing 

It is set on Cape Cod. I always like books set on Cape Cod seeing I have been there many times.  Enjoyig our characters and mystery so far.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/29/2022 12:07 PM ET

That one is sitting on my TBR.    I did one of those online quizzes years ago to determine where I should be living......it decided I should be living on a North eastern beach such as Cape Cod.  I do love beaches but not a fan of super hot weather so maybe it's correct.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 5/1/2022 7:01 AM ET

I am reading a historical Cozy   With a Little Bit of Blood by DE Ireland.  Set in 1913 England. It is an Eliza Doolittle mystery. What I am finding interesting is many of characters are buying motor cars for the first time and there is not regulations. So they drive like crazy with no experience, run things over and hit things.  Makes you think what it must have been like when people first started to drive.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 5/19/2022 7:59 PM ET

I finished Murder by the Book by Lauren Elliot.  Book one in the series. Set in a coastal town in Massachusetts. It was okay. Very typical cozy. Nothing stood out to me. Pleasant quick read.

MartieKr avatar
Date Posted: 5/29/2022 7:59 AM ET

I just finished Magic, Lies, and Deadly Pies by Misha Popp and thought it was pretty good.  The MC accidentally kills someone with the magic in her pies and decides to use this ability to help other women.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 5/29/2022 8:09 AM ET

I am reading Hostage to Fortune by Kirsten Weiss.  It is a fun wacky cozy. She comes up wtih crazy names. I love the characters of Gramps, Tomas and of course Peking the pet duck.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 6/23/2022 3:19 PM ET

I am enjoying The Moonshine Shack Murder. by Diane Kelly. Hattie and Grandpa are great characters. All the discussion of Moonshine is fun, and I love Smoky the cat. Good start to a new series.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 8/11/2022 6:38 AM ET

I am reading a fun historical cozy

A Devious Death by Alyssa Maxwell set in 1919 England. Good Mystery in this one, Many of the characters are not interesting,but I enjoy the series.

MartieKr avatar
Date Posted: 8/24/2022 8:12 AM ET

I just finished Laid Out to Rest: A Charcuterie Shop MysteryJ C Eaton, a new series which was very well written with a main character who buys a sandwich shop and wants to have a charcuterie catering business on the side.  Meanwhile, she is saddled with the ghost of the former owner of her rental home.  I liked this book with all the interesting characters and charcuterie info.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 8/24/2022 11:27 AM ET

Sounds good Mary. I just added it to my WL

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 9/17/2022 12:27 PM ET

Each year, I set my minimum for each category at five.   For 2022, I need to read one paranormal which I have, one building which I have, and one outside the USA which I dont have.  Maybe something will pop up before the year is over or just remembered my kindle books.  Guess I'll go check them.

Update:  Now I need one more to meet my goal of five minimum for each category.  I still need one outside the USA.  I'm watching swaps etc to see what I can nab.

Last Edited on: 10/2/22 3:04 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 10/4/2022 8:13 AM ET

I finished a fun paranormal cozy The Great Witches Baking Show by Nancy Warren.

Good, withcy stuff and baking.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 10/4/2022 8:59 AM ET

And I had my eyes on it in a recent swap...

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 10/4/2022 10:06 AM ET

It is a bit of a rip off of the The Great British Baking show, down to judges and host. But it is a fun book

MartieKr avatar
Date Posted: 10/5/2022 7:55 AM ET

I just finished Tomes & Terriers by Hillary Avis. This cozy is abouta  woman whose huband loses part of his memory under mysterious circumstances.  They used to run a bakery in town and the MC had to sell to pay for his care.  She's invited to move into a house that holds a library of all the town's secrets.  Naturally, she musn't tell anyone. Meanwhile, someone is murdered at her huband's facility, and while investigating, she discovers a horrifying secret on why her husband has forgotten everything about her, her daughter ,and their life together.  

Interesting premise of a library with all your secrets.  I read this on my Kindle and have the next in line to see where it goes from here.

Last Edited on: 10/5/22 7:56 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 10/20/2022 6:48 AM ET

Death of a Wondering Wolf by Julia Buckley. Very well written cozy. Set outside of Chicago. There is a lot of Hungarian American culture in the book, with good recipes.

Page: