Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT: Relaxed Mailing Deadlines No Longer in Effect

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
PBSTeam - PaperBackSwap Team
Limited Member medalBook Cover Image Approver medalBook Data Approver medal
Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: Relaxed Mailing Deadlines No Longer in Effect
Date Posted: 5/17/2023 10:09 AM ET

Hello, folks!

Although Covid-19 is hardly a thing of the past, it seems clear that the pandemic is no longer posing a risk for mailing from the Post Office.

So we are happy to say that the relaxed sending deadlines are no longer in effect.

As of May 17, 2023, the sending deadlines are:

• The sender has 5 days to accept a request
  • After accepting a request, the sender has 7 days in which to mail and then mark mailed
  • The deadline to mail will appear in red on the transaction on the My Account page

As always:

• Failure to accept within the deadline means the request will cancel, and failure to mark mailed by the deadline means the request will cancel.
  • Reminder emails will be sent out, both to remind about accepting a request, and to remind about marking an accepted request as "mailed".

Please let us know if you encounter any difficulties (it was a lot of programming, and unexpected things can pop up!)  by sending in feedback the usual way.

Although many members have been swapping at a brisk pace throughout, we do think this update will simplify swapping.

Happy swapping!

riksny avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/17/2023 8:30 PM ET

Good!

scoutmomskf avatar
Standard Member medalMilitary or Diplomatic medal
Subject: Mailing deadlines
Date Posted: 5/18/2023 4:55 PM ET

While I agree the general need for the relaxed mailing times has passed, seven days can be tough for those of us with limited access to the PO. Would it be possible to split the difference, and give us ten days? I am at an APO address and my post office only accepts packages for mailing on Tuesdays and Thursdays. A couple of extra days would help if I can't get to the base...

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/19/2023 3:07 PM ET

I agree with Susan. 10 days isn't an eternity and would be helpful for those of us who live in smaller towns and/or rural areas. 

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 5/19/2023 7:07 PM ET

I am elderly and handicapped and increasingly dependent on others to get me to the post office.  I would appreciate it if there was a 10-day option. 

schnauzer-mom avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/20/2023 6:44 PM ET

Why the need to change? What harm did relaxed mailing deadlines do? As stated by other members, the extra time is very beneficial.  I'm totally against changing the deadline back to prepandemic. Absolutely nothing is simplified!

Last Edited on: 5/20/23 6:46 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
canesgalactica avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/26/2023 4:09 PM ET

I kind of hate that PBS did this, not because I enjoy waiting for books for over a month, but because it felt like there was no warning and as a result, half of my requests auto cancelled when I already had the books packaged and ready to go to the PO as well as forcing me to lose quite a few requests I had that I then had to go hunt for again after they had been cancelled.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/30/2023 6:47 AM ET

It shouldn't have gone in to effect immediately.  Most people like me didn't even see it until after it happened.  We all should have gotten an email and they could have waited and said as of like June 1st we will be going back to our original policy.  

Generic Profile avatar
Larry K. - ,
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 7/4/2023 10:00 AM ET

Cross-posted from "Club Members Thoughts" -

It is July 1 and I haven't looked at the Discussions in quite a while.

I am amazed that this is the first time I'm reading about a change in policy.

Was this notice ever posted the the Home page?  Was it ever shown on the Account page?

Seems too hidden...