Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - USPS Postal Regulations USPS Postal Regulations

Topic: APO & DC

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
TruckerBarbie65 avatar
Subject: APO & DC
Date Posted: 7/27/2007 4:20 AM ET

I have a request for a book from someone in the military in Germany with an APO address.  Can I still use Delivery Confirmation with and APO address?  I just want to make sure before print the address and go to the post office.

Thanks!!

Generic Profile avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/27/2007 11:03 AM ET

You can; it may or may not get scanned at the transition point between the USPS and the military postal system.

You might want to put a customs declaration on the book, just to be careful (those green sheets). Declare it to be 'used books', worth $3/book or so, and mark it 'gift'.

CozSnShine avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 7/27/2007 2:42 PM ET

Yes you can, however it will only be good as far as the last US PO center it hits.   That is as far as it can be tracked.  Once the military starts handling it, it's out of the PO system and will not be scanned again.    HOWEVER, it's still a good idea to use DC with those addresses because those packages get lost a bit more easily and you'd still get your credit with the DC.

Coffee avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 7/27/2007 7:51 PM ET

Also if you send it Media Mail it can take a very long time to get there.  Expect PBS's system to consider it lost but when it does get there and the requestor shows it received everything will work out.

I've sent a few to APOs and have no problems except for the time it takes to arrive.  I even had one going Priority take a very long time.  It varies greatly.

angelacisco avatar
Date Posted: 7/28/2007 8:19 PM ET

Make sure you address your package to one person.   And make sure that person will still be there in time to get the package (two months from now is good average).  I

f that person is transferred or goes home or even to some other unit before the pacake arrives, it will be returned to you.   I had a box sent back to me because my friend was done with his tour (even he did not know he was being transferred).  My package was supposed to go to the person replacing my friend but that didn't happen.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/28/2007 9:25 PM ET

I sent a book to an APO last month, and it was marked received just 10 days later.

As for delivery confirmation to an APO, the USPS website only makes one reference to DC and APO.  It is:

9.2.4 Ineligible Matter

Delivery Confirmation is not available for the following:

f. Mail addressed to restricted APO/FPO destinations

I don't know what a "restricted" APO/FPO destination is... but I am assuming that there are also nonrestricted APO/FPO destinations as well, in which case DC would be eligible.