Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: ARGGGGGGG! Why does this always happen?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Criskat avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: ARGGGGGGG! Why does this always happen?
Date Posted: 7/24/2007 5:23 AM ET

Ok. I went to bed last night with my one remaining credit in the bank. I got up this morning and saw that a WL book I had on Autorequest was posted. Great! But then I look and 3 more books are sitting there waiting for me to go buy credits.

I read the help center. Where do I stand if the books time out on the 48 hrs? I know if I cancel the request that it will go to my RL and then I am back at the end of the line, but if I do nothing does it just skip me and I keep my place?

None of the books is rare just popular. LOL So I can live without them for a while. I just don't want to go back to being 200 in 200. LOL

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/24/2007 5:39 AM ET

Getting a Wish List book:
  • When an ISBN on your Wish List is posted into the system, and you are #1 "in line" for that ISBN, you will get a "Wish List offer" email from PBS.
    • The book will be held for you as an "exclusive" for 48 hours
    • To respond to the email offer, log into PBS and click on the offer to accept or decline it
    • If you do not have credits to request the book, you will be given an opportunity to buy credits
    • If you do not respond to the email within 48 hours , the exclusive hold will expire, and the book will be removed from your Wish List.  It will be moved to your Reminder List, and you will be able to "convert" it back to a Wish List item from there.

Do I have to have credits to put books on my Wish List?

No, but if you have no credits, you should be prepared to buy credits, if necessary, if one of your Wish List books becomes available for you to request.  You don't have to have enough credits to cover everything on your Wish List because all the books are not likely to be posted at the same time. But it is a good idea to keep a few credits in your account at all times, if you have an active Wish List. You never know when a Wish List book may be offered to you! 

Getting a Wish List offer when you have no credits:

• If your bookshelf/Wish List are NOT on hold
    • You will be given an opportunity to buy credits (there is a button on the Wish List offer to take you to the Kiosk)
    • After you have purchased credits in the Kiosk, you will need to come back to the request and accept it.
  • If your bookshelf/Wish List are on hold:
    • You will be "passed over" and stay in your place in the Wish List line until you have credits OR the hold is removed from your bookshelf
  • If the item is set to auto-request on your Wish LIst:
    • if your account is NOT on Hold, the auto-request will be converted to a regular Wish List offer with a 48-hour hold, and you will have the option to purchase credits
    • If your account IS on Hold, you will be "passed over" and stay in your place in the Wish List line until you have credits OR the hold is removed from your bookshelf

Looks like you will go to the end of the line unless you buy credits.

CrystalRose avatar
Date Posted: 7/24/2007 5:39 AM ET

If you don't want to lose your place in line you would have to buy credits and get the books. If you decline them or let them time out they will be taken off your wish list and put on your reminder list. From the help center...

When an ISBN on your Wish List is posted into the system, and you are #1 "in line" for that ISBN, you will get a "Wish List offer" email from PBS.

• The book will be held for you as an "exclusive" for 48 hours
  • To respond to the email offer, log into PBS and click on the offer to accept or decline it
  • If you do not have credits to request the book, you will be given an opportunity to buy credits
  • If you do not respond to the email within 48 hours , the exclusive hold will expire, and the book will be removed from your Wish List.  It will be moved to your Reminder List, and you will be able to "convert" it back to a Wish List item from there.

Good luck :)

Advertisement avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 7/24/2007 8:14 AM ET

You might also want to put your account on hold at this time if you don't want to have to buy yet more credits should any other wishlisted books be posted. 

annakanga avatar
Limited Member medalMember of the Month medal
Date Posted: 7/24/2007 9:13 AM ET

You could also try *nicely* asking for a couple credits from someone to be paid back when you get more.  I see some people doing that on the book bazaar. 

Generic Profile avatar
Friend of PBS-Triple Diamond medal
Date Posted: 7/24/2007 11:33 AM ET

Kathi - check your account. I transferred some credits to you.

Keep on reading!!

Vicki C.

Criskat avatar
Date Posted: 7/24/2007 3:39 PM ET
Criskat avatar
Date Posted: 7/24/2007 3:41 PM ET

Thanks everyone for your advice and most especially a HUGE thankyou to the Credit Fairies! You are the most awesome people on earth! I was in tears when I logged on this afternoon! You are wonderful folks!