Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Parenting, Family, Relationships

Topic: Adoption: good book

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
KimberlyN avatar
Subject: Adoption: good book
Date Posted: 7/25/2010 4:13 PM ET

Both of our kids are adoption and I've studied a lot and thought I "knew it all!"  Hmmmm ....

Just posted:

Adoption: The Facts, Feelings, and Issues of a Double Heritage
Author:
Jeanne Duprau

ISBN  9780671693299

My review:

Although this book was written about 20 years ago, I read it in 2010 and felt it was valuable and not "dated." It starts by giving the reader a basic understanding of the evolving social concerns about and solutions for orphaned children throughout the history of the USA. With this info, you will understand why adoption has evolved to what it is, today, and how and why changes may occur in the future.

With this information, the book then discusses the thought processes of adoptees (at various ages), birthparents, and adoptive parents. I have read several books, participated in some education sessions, understand a lot about the adoption triangle and the feelings all parties deal with, and still, I learned more about the various "people" involved in adoption triangles, including what social workers and other adoption professionals think & feel.

I recommend this quick read so you can gain insights you may not have considered.

For me, this book will open discussions with my adopted, young adult children, to learn more about thoughts they had, as kids, about their adoption and birth parents. Perhaps you will find it helps you seek to understand others, as well. 

mamakaila avatar
Date Posted: 8/16/2010 10:34 PM ET

this is a good type of book.. its hard for adopters to understand adoptees and our needs or wants in life.. its hard to not know who you are or what medical problems you might end up having. this book and others like it are helpful for adopters in trying to understand and its a good read for adoptees also :) good job on adopting kids we need people to do so. :)