Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Is this allowed?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Is this allowed?
Date Posted: 8/4/2007 7:08 PM ET

Hi, I'm brand new here and am wanting to post a couple books that I'm not sure are postable.  One has a stamped "this book belongs to" tag which has a persons name written on the inside front cover, the other has a name written on the outside edge of the pages.  Can either of these be posted?

bookaddicted avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 8/4/2007 7:33 PM ET

From the Help Center (under book condition)

Pages:

• No torn pages
  • No loose or missing pages
  • No writing or highlighting on text pages
    • a signature or note on the flyleaf is OKAY
    • an author's signature on the title page is OKAY
    • writing or highlighting on the text pages is NOT OKAY
      • Exception: if it is a textbook or workbook, these are expected to have highlighting/writing
        • if you post a textbook/workbook, the condition must be described to the requestor in a Personal Message
        • AND the described condition MUST BE AGREED TO before the book is sent
        • This is the one of the ONLY two cases in which a PM exchange about a book is required before the book can be sent(the other is for cookbooks--see below).

Last Edited on: 8/4/07 7:33 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/4/2007 8:28 PM ET

I would say that the one that gives the owner's name is probably OK; the other one I would probably not post.  I think "this book belongs to...." is similar to a library or bookstore stamping its name inside the cover.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/4/2007 9:32 PM ET

Thanks for the quick answers.  I appreciate it.

RockStarGirl avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/4/2007 9:43 PM ET

I think when it was brought up before that either of those situations is okay.  I assume when you mean page edges, you mean when the book is closed you can see the person's name.  Some libraries and used books stores stamp along the edges like that also.

royaltech avatar
Member of the Month medalBook Cover Image Approver medalBook Data Coordinator medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 8/5/2007 11:11 AM ET

Yep, I remember the discussion too, Amanda, and I believe Robert was involved with it, that it is common for kids to write their names on the edges of the pages (opposite the spine) and what is the difference between that and a library's stamp there, so it shouldn't be a problem either. (I might object if it was written with a thick style magic marker, but it's usually in pen/pencil and not any different than a stamp)

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/5/2007 6:32 PM ET

I would think both are acceptable since it doesn't specifically say they aren't...but it's probably a close call for some.  You could post them and then pm the requestor to see if it's an issue...

Jenna