Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Horror

Topic: American Psycho

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
romeo avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Subject: American Psycho
Date Posted: 10/1/2007 6:50 PM ET

By Brett Easton Ellis. I am having the hardest time getting into this book. I'm on page 42 and I don't want to finish it. I have heard nothing but good reviews for this book but I had to force myself to read it this far. I don't like how he describes exactly what everyone is wearing (is driving me crazy!!!), what they are eating, how their fixing it, etc.

Am I the only one who hates this book?

Christa

michelleanddavid avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/1/2007 9:53 PM ET

I don't know Christa  I really liked that book. I thought it was a lot better than the movie. It gets better after he starts killing people, lol.  I only ever read to page 50 in a book I don't like. If I don't like it/can't get into it by then I give up. So that would give you eight more pages. lol Why force yourself to read something you don't like when you could be spending time reading something you do.

Michelle

April0409 avatar
Date Posted: 10/3/2007 5:17 PM ET
I got addicted to that book and couldn't put it down even when it got fairly gory. heh. Then again, I love reading books about serial killers and the like.
romeo avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 10/3/2007 5:21 PM ET

I read these kinds of books for the killing!!!   I'm at about page 75 and still no killing!!  I'm pushing through it because I read the reviews and they said it was sick (that's right up my alley), if the review say's it's sick, I'm ordering it!!!  LOL

Christa

April0409 avatar
Date Posted: 10/4/2007 1:46 AM ET
Me too, Christa! haha. The book is worth it though so you should definitely keep reading it! I think I've desensitized myself to violence too much (through books and movies), although I'm not so sure I could handle seeing anything like that in real life.
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/4/2007 6:06 PM ET

I'm in the minority here, but I absolutely detest this book.  When it first came out there was so much negative press and it had been banned in Canada, so of course I had to find a copy.  I went to the library and the librarian was horrible to me and said that they didn't stock "that kind of book" which made me go to the nearest bookstore to purchase it.  LOL!  As I recall, nothing happens until at least 100 pages into the story, then it hits like gangbusters and doesn't really let up.  I'm the first one to pick up the goriest, most violent books on the block, but this one just disgusted and disturbed me on so many levels and again, I'm a fan of guys like Bentley Little and J F Gonzalez, both of whom are regularly described as sick and disturbing. 

Hope you enjoy it, if you're able to slog through the first 100 pages.

Sandy

michelleanddavid avatar
Date Posted: 10/4/2007 9:13 PM ET

I don't consider  Bentley Little and J F Gonzalez to be sick and disturbing.Have I been desensitized by reading too many really gory books?

Last Edited on: 10/4/07 10:21 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/5/2007 5:36 PM ET

You and me, both Michelle.  Notice I said that Little and Gonzalez are regularly described as and not that *I* find them sick and disturbing. *g*  It was more a frame of reference for others.  I'm a bring on the gore kind of reader.  Honestly, Am. Psycho is the only novel I've ever read that bothered me.  I've read a few of Brett Easton Ellis's other books and found them lacking any redeeming quality whatsoever, but again, I'm constantly in the minority.

romeo avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 10/6/2007 12:26 PM ET

I read to page 187 and couldn't get through it, I posted it. The only truly sick book I've ever read was Survivor by J.F. Gonzalez. I loved this book!!! I was SHOCKED by it's content. I loaned this book out and threatened to get violent if I didn't get it back!!! I'll never loan it out again. I love shocking, gory and horrifying books.

Apparently I am desensitized too!!!

I posted new books today.  Will do a 2 for 1

Christa

I will take any wishlist book in any condition as long as it's readable

Last Edited on: 10/6/07 12:27 PM ET - Total times edited: 1