Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Freethinkers, Atheism, Agnosticism

Topic: Ancient Confession Found: "We invented Jesus Christ"

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Ancient Confession Found: "We invented Jesus Christ"
Date Posted: 11/12/2013 5:58 PM ET

An American history researcher, JosephAtwill,  was going to announce the results of his study of early, secular records of the time around Jesus's ministry, and the place, Rome, on Oct. 19 in England.  It  doesn't seem to have kicked up much dust. in either Christian or atheist communities.  Atwill proposed that the image of Jesus as a mild teacher who spoke of God's love and recommended people "love their enemies" and "render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's" was a concoction of the Romans, who feared the Jews would somehow become seriously militant againt Rome.

Has anyuone here heard anything about the outcome of this announcement?  One of the historian's prime resources was Josephus, a historian  of the "first century".   If you'd like to read about this, here's a link: http://uk.prweb.com/releases/2013/10/prweb/pr11/201273.htm

Last Edited on: 11/12/13 6:14 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 11/15/2013 10:09 AM ET

I think it's a viable theory.  The oldest versions of the New Testament Gospels were written long after Jesus' death.  There's also the fact that the writing pertaining to Jesus, such as the ones by Josephus, seem to be tacked on because of the grammatical syntax.  I'm hoping to get a hold of Caesar's Messiah by the same author for more information.

Last Edited on: 11/15/13 10:21 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
barbieofmpls avatar
Date Posted: 11/24/2013 5:23 PM ET

I agree as to it being a viable theory. It makes a lot of sense. I intend to read Caesar's Messiah also!

icantswim avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/22/2022 1:24 AM ET

Great post. Thanks for sharing.