Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Classic Literature

Topic: anybody home?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/14/2014 9:28 AM ET

went to a library book sale this weekend. Found a very nice pbk of The Collected Stories of Katherine Ann Porter. This book won the Pulitzer prize so it might be good for that category of the challenge. I also found here at pbs a book of letters of Katherine Ann Porter. I'm really looking forward to getting that. I hope the request works out okay.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/14/2014 9:38 PM ET

I'd love a book of Katherine Ann Porter letters!

Rose

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/15/2014 10:04 AM ET

yippee. The person who has the book of letters accepted my request this morning.

I got Hemingway's To Have and Have Not from somebody here at pbs about a week ago. I'm about 2/3 through it now and so far I have to say I am underwhelmed. Even though the Bogart and Bacall movie is different from the book, I think the movie is better than the book.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/16/2014 5:29 PM ET

Finding that book at the library book sale is kinda like getting an introduction to a very interesting woman, Charles.  I hope you have a wonderful "brief encounter" with Katherine!    (Does Rose stand a chance of getting her hands on that book of Porter's letters?)

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/16/2014 6:42 PM ET

I read Ship of Fools a long time ago. Does that count. I also have a vhs video of the movie.

I think I remember that Porter was in Paris during the American expatriate period there. Hemingway was one of the people who admonished her to write a novel. There was a feeling among some that you couldn't make a career of just stories. Of course Hemingway wrote a boat load of stories himself.

The book of letters was just mailed yesterday. The person who sent the book must be a serious member of pbs. They have over 450 books available on their shelf. I used to have a book of letters of Isak Dinesen. I have a really interesting book of letters of Max Perkins.

Last Edited on: 4/16/14 6:52 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Page: