Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - September Hot Topics

Topic: Anyone wanna lead other monthly genre discussions?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: Anyone wanna lead other monthly genre discussions?
Date Posted: 8/26/2012 2:26 AM ET

Deb and Carole seem to be having success with their cozy discussions so I was thinking maybe we could have other genre discussions with a voting list and singular book discussions. It might attract new members who will stick around to participate instead of just voting and lurking.

craftnut avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 8/26/2012 8:47 AM ET

Maybe Carol K. (blackpanther)  would do one on Walking in Circles Before Lying Down, hint hint!!  At least I think she is the one that suggested it, and I ordered it.  Currently it is at the top of Mt. TBR.

okbye avatar
Barb S. (okbye) - ,
Date Posted: 8/27/2012 1:28 AM ET

I could go for a mystery or a biography/memoir group. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/27/2012 2:20 AM ET

You know that means you'll be leading it yes? If so I'm in mystery is one of my top genres. I'm iffy on biographies, it's gotta be someone I am already interested in or I'll be bored.

Last Edited on: 8/27/12 2:40 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
okbye avatar
Barb S. (okbye) - ,
Date Posted: 8/27/2012 11:56 AM ET

I'm more into memoirs, it's just different when it's someone's own story. It really depends on how they're written, whether I know of or like the person really has no bearing on whether it's interesting to me. Some people I like write terrible memoirs and some people you've never heard of have really amazing stories. You can tell when someone is only presenting their good side, which surprisingly few people do, but those really suck. 

If there is enough interest I think I could do a mystery group. I have plenty of time, whether I'm clever enough to find good questions is the iffy part, lol. 

charoo avatar
Date Posted: 8/27/2012 12:02 PM ET

I'm into a Mystery group.  And I KNOW you could come up with good Questions Barb!  

Count me in!

Charlene

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/27/2012 6:00 PM ET

Well I got laid off today so I'll have time to run a second reading group. I can do fantasy/sci-fi if there are any interested.

okbye avatar
Barb S. (okbye) - ,
Date Posted: 8/27/2012 6:04 PM ET

Oh that sucks, you just started there. Oh well, hope you find something better. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/27/2012 6:09 PM ET

Yeah, I was expecting it though, everytime I've been part of a large hire group I've been laid off a few months later. It was nice to have the wiggle room as far as finances went but it was seriously kicking my ass. I was waking up unable to feel my hands most mornings because the tools I had to use there have such a heavy vibration.

One of these days I'm gonna figure out what I want to go to school for and maybe get a job I can stick with that way. I was sorta thinking of office tech recently, because that is what I specialized in during high school, but I don't think there is as large a demand for it as there was then.

okbye avatar
Barb S. (okbye) - ,
Date Posted: 8/27/2012 6:22 PM ET

You didn't sound very happy there from other posts. I have carpal tunnel issues from being a groomer so many years, I get the numbness a lot if I over-use my hands doing anything repetatively like typing. Sometimes they even go dead from holding a book too long. Annoying. I couldn't do a job like that again. 

I don't really do paranormal much but I do like some sci-fi. I've got some more mainstream stuff from the genre, like Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett that looks good. In fact I read a Neil Gaiman to break in my kindle, first e-book I read. 

Last Edited on: 8/27/12 6:26 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/27/2012 6:45 PM ET

I love Gaiman and Pratchett, I'm not terribly into scifi but I've found that I like the classics of the genre like Verne and Wells.

I didn't really dislike the job, it was better than K-mart, but it was physically difficult and I was having a hard time coping with that. I have been constantly bruised and battered the whole time I worked there, but if the temp agency calls me back I'll go because it's good pay.

okbye avatar
Barb S. (okbye) - ,
Date Posted: 8/27/2012 7:28 PM ET

Have you read American Gods? I've been looking for an excuse to read that. It's a bigger book so I've kind of shunned it.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/27/2012 7:48 PM ET

Haven't read it, I've read Stardust and a few of his shorts and I have a few on Mt. TBR including one that is a colaboration with Pratchett.

craftnut avatar
Date Posted: 8/28/2012 6:03 PM ET

Oh, Chris!!  So sorry to hear that you were laid off, after such a short time.  I hope something else comes around for you soon.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/29/2012 8:21 AM ET

Thanks Carole, I'm hoping I can get a seasonal retail job to last me until something else gets going for it's busy season. I hate retail but it's the easiest job to get between september and november.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/7/2012 9:15 AM ET

I would like to have a Fantasy/Urban Fantasy group.  Reading authors like Charles de Lint, Neil Gaiman, Charlene Harris, Thomas Sniegoski, etc.  Anyone interested?

Cindy

PS  Love the Cozy mysteries!

TwoBooklovers avatar
Date Posted: 9/7/2012 1:13 PM ET

Loved American Gods by Neil Gaiman, it is on my keepers shelf.  For those who have read the Nibelungen-Saga (Nordic mysteries) it is interesting to find the parallels.  My sister goes to see the Wagner operas (Rheingold, the Valkrye, Goetterdaemmerung, etc) every year and is a history buff and when I told her about it, she went it and bought it too, to see how he modernized the theme. 

I also liked the short story collection by Gaiman (Fragile things), some of these stories haunt my dreams a year later, they were majorly creepy.

Last Edited on: 9/7/12 1:53 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
okbye avatar
Barb S. (okbye) - ,
Date Posted: 9/7/2012 1:31 PM ET

Let's take a head count -

I would follow a fantasy group, maybe not read them all but I haven't tried urban fantasy much so I might. I don't really like the absurd and from what I've seen it can be that way so I can't guarantee I would stick with that kind of books but I do like Gaiman and Pratchett type stuff and I can be nostalgic for things like dragon stories. Maybe if they were mixed up a bit. So with Chris, Jerry and Cindy that's 4. Anyone else? 

Last month I posted in the mystery forum, which seems fairly active, if anyone was interested in a reading group and got only one negative reply although it had a bunch of views. A little weird but whatever. I think we had myself, Chris and Charlene interested here. Anyone else? 

I'm thinking that if we did do specialty groups and posted in the proper forums exactly which book we have picked it might drag a couple people over if they have read or are interested in that particular book. We don't want to be annoying posting about it all the time but I don't think announcing our monthly book would be bad. 

Last Edited on: 9/7/12 1:31 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
TwoBooklovers avatar
Date Posted: 9/7/2012 1:51 PM ET

If it is a book I already read/listened to I would love to participate, there are few genres I don't read.  My problem is that I listen to a lot of my books during my commute, more listening than reading.  I have a 200 book queue on simplyaudiobooks and cannot guarantee that I would always receive the monthly book to be discussed.

So, if I have read/listened to it, I will participate in the discussion.

craftnut avatar
Date Posted: 9/8/2012 8:08 AM ET

Jerry, I cannot imagine sitting through Wagner's Ring.  There is going to be a performance in Asheville of the whole 5 days, but I just have better ways to spend my time.  Unless I could take a few books with me, LOL!!

I read some fantasy and sci-fi, so would depend on the book chosen.  On that subject, I scored a first edition Anne McCaffrey Dragonsdawn yesterday at the library book sale for $2!!

On the other hand, I am going to take a month or so off of the main discussion to get to some of the books I really want to read.  I haven't read anything else but our club books lately, and although I have enjoyed them, I can't wait any longer to read a few of the ones on the TBR pile.  Unfortunately, only one has enough copies to put on the reading vote list.

BlackPanther avatar
Standard Member medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/8/2012 3:36 PM ET

I would read the Fantasy books. I have several on my TBR. smiley

And, of course, I would read romance and anything paranormal! cheeky

(I'm not into the mystery books and I've tried cozies, but I just don't have time for them.)