Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Anyway to go on permanent 3 for 2?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Anyway to go on permanent 3 for 2?
Date Posted: 8/12/2007 9:00 PM ET

I would like to do a 3 books for 2 credits on my bookshelf.  Is there anyway we can list this so people who wanted just 1 book will know this is what I am doing?  So far the only way for people to know this is if they read the forums.  I would like to start getting rid of 3 books at a time if possible.  Better since the postage increase. 

Thanks, Susie

bookaddicted avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 8/12/2007 9:50 PM ET

You could add that to your signature line and profile.

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 8/12/2007 11:19 PM ET

For people who don't see the note on the forum or go to your profile, I thik the only thing that you can do iw send a PM to anybody who orders books from you  and suggest that they pick out 3 of them for the 2 credits.   Some of them may only want the one that they ordered and none of the others on your list.  It's pretty good, but with 45 books among the 1,000,000+ on the PBS database, some requestors may have problems.   It's a noble effort to get more orders and increase your credits, though.

royaltech avatar
Member of the Month medalBook Cover Image Approver medalBook Data Coordinator medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 8/13/2007 3:14 AM ET

It would be hard to go on a permanent 3/2 because you are saying you will only accept an order if they order a second book and choose a free one. If you only have one book that they are interested in, I don't think they'd be too happy if you told them they HAD to order another to get that book! hahahaha Who knows, they may only have one credit!

Nothing says you can't offer it to anyone that orders from you, tho. Simply PM the requestor when you get an order and let them know that if they are interested, you are offering 3 books for 2 credits. But, don't be dismayed when people don't take you up on it. I've even had people turn down a 2/1! They didn't want any other books that I had at that time.

BondGirl avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/13/2007 7:31 AM ET

Another option is to post your 3/2 sale on the book bazaar.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/13/2007 7:32 AM ET

Thanks everyone, I have been pm'ing anyone who requests books off my list.  I am still adding books, but don't expect to get above 60 or maybe 70.  Not a lot, but feels like a lot to me.  LOL

I will also add to my signature as Charlie suggested.  Thanks for the help.  Susie

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/13/2007 12:38 PM ET

I have two other ways that I can trade books now and I really think with the postage increase it is better for me to give up on the mailing unless I can do the 3 for 2 deals.    

So, my next question is...if I refuse the individual books, do I get punished in time to come? 

I can put my acct on hold for a while and then take it off when I post the deals on the forums in hopes that I won't get any individual requests for that short time I am off hold. 

Not trying to make anyone mad with these questions.  I would like to get rid of my books faster, but I don't want to spend the additional money on postage right now. 

I would take all my books to the local trade places, but as you know you can't always find what you are looking for that way, and still have to wait a while.  Thanks, Susie

hugbandit7 avatar
Book Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 8/13/2007 12:42 PM ET

I would be disappointed if you had the only copy of a book that I wanted but refused the order because you didn't have anything else I wanted to read.

you might consider 2 for 1 if someone orders from you to get rid of more off of your shelf but not penalizing anyone that only has 1 credit.

just my 2 cents

ETA: I see 2 books on your list that I haven't read/am interested in....if you will consider a 2 for 1 I'll order them from you.  just PM me (and I'll PM you)

Last Edited on: 8/13/07 12:46 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/13/2007 12:53 PM ET

I asked about this a long time ago. R&R told me that its the requestors responsibility to find out if your running a deal *shrug* If you have enough credits and you just want to get rid of books you could sell a few to make up postage money. Ive done it and if you have a paypal account its incredibly easy.

ChWriter avatar
Date Posted: 8/13/2007 1:42 PM ET

I've been pm'ing everyone when this happens to me.  However, some members don't respond for a couple days and then it's a pain in the  behind for me if I want to get the order done and out of the way.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/13/2007 8:50 PM ET

I know what you mean Lynn...I am tring that too and you are right that many people don't respond and you hate to hold the order.

Since they already have Box of Books, I think there should be a way for another catagory of dealing.  I don't have enough for box of books, but have enough for the 3 for 2 deal, and it seems that this amount saves the most postage unless they are really heavy books. 

By the way, I am trying to always order more than one book if I can...and I am not even asking for deals, just trying to save them some postage if I can. 

Susie

royaltech avatar
Member of the Month medalBook Cover Image Approver medalBook Data Coordinator medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 8/13/2007 9:09 PM ET

I'm thinking you might get reprimanded for denying to send individual book requests. I've only seen R&R comment about this once, and that was when someone was referring to the fact that someone could refuse to Box trade a book. In which case, they said something to the effect that BoB trading was an optional trade, whereas credit trades were not, and it does say that books listed on your shelf are to be available to be sent out in the HC. But, to get a proper opinion on it, you would have to send in Feedback to them. I'm just telling you what I remember, and that it would certainly aggrevate me if you refused my request for a single book.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/23/2007 9:47 PM ET

I have been pm'ing too when someone requests one and I find also that many do not respond within the mailing deadline.  But, I will keep trying.  

drewsmom avatar
Date Posted: 8/24/2007 1:28 AM ET

When I have offered deals in the past I have PM'd people if it seemed as tho they were unaware of the deal.  Some have taken advantage, some have not, but I have never denied sending a book if they didn't want a deal.  I would be interested in hearing about any deal and wouldn't mind taking the time to re-look at someone's shelf, but if I don't want to take advantage of a deal, I still want my original request book!