Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: April 2020 - The COVID Month - What's Getting You Through?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Subject: April 2020 - The COVID Month - What's Getting You Through?
Date Posted: 4/1/2020 4:20 PM ET

Well, what are we reading during these turbulent times? 

I am listening to The Dutch House on Audible which, so far, is okay.  I just started reading The Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All.  This is a book that's been around for awhile and seems to get rave reviews.  I can see why, but in some ways the conversational style of an old lady telling a story is a little distracting for me.  The book is written as if someone is taking down verbatim what the woman is saying, complete with mind wanderings, getting off topic, etc.  It's charming, but sometimes I want to scream, "Cut to the chase! Continue with the same thread!!"  LOL!  Anyone else read this one? 

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/3/2020 10:25 AM ET

I just finished The Cairo Brief by Fiona Vietch Smith. Set in 1921 London. Well written good characters.

Good Thing I love to read keeps me busy during this trying time.

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/5/2020 6:05 PM ET

I'm delving back into the William Marshall series by Elizabeth Chadwick. Started A Time for Singing, or known as The Kings Favor in the US.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/11/2020 7:02 AM ET

I am reading 

A Pinch of Poison by Alyssa Maxwell. Set in 1919 England. Light historical mystery. Kind of like a very small scale Downtown abby. Great fun

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 4/14/2020 7:31 AM ET

I have started The Winemaker's Wife by Kristin Harmel. Split time peace set in 1940 France and 2019.  Nice writing style although I am tired of books set in WWII France.

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 4/14/2020 1:43 PM ET

Well, I bailed on The Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All.  In some ways, it's very charming, but I just can't handle the rambling, stream of consciousness writing style.  I find it very hard to concentrate.  I picked up a historical mystery last night instead.  The name escapes me right now. 

I'm almost done listening to The Dutch House, and I'm totally "eh" on this one.  NOTHING really happens during most of the book.  It's all very mundane, if you ask me, and the entire time I've been listening I've wanted to shake the two main characters and say "MOVE ON!  Get a therapist if you need to, but let the past go."  LOL!  I should finish it up in the next day or two. Maybe part of my problem is that this really isn't much of a historical fiction book.  Sure, they go back into the past for parts of the story, but it's very much about the here and now in the present day.  Present day stuff never floats my boat. 

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 4/15/2020 4:21 PM ET

I finished The Dutch House.  Eh.  Pretty dull. As I read, I kept thinking they would have dug into the the story of the home's previous owners, the VanHoebeeks, would have been far more interesting.  Haven't decided what to listen to next. 

Currently reading Above the Bay of Angels by Rhys Bowen. 

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/16/2020 4:21 PM ET

I was reading Death of an Expert Witness by PD James, but I bailed on it. Waaaaay too slow. I hate not finishing a book, but I wasn’t getting anywhere with it. Started a cozy mystery because I’m having a hard time concentrating on serious books lately.

CR

tjrj1988 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/18/2020 11:05 AM ET

Well, I hit the jackpot.  I had requested that my library buy both Sharon Penman's new one "Land Across the Sea" and Elizabeth Chadwick's new one "The Irish Princess".  

The day before our library was due to close, I got a message that both had come in.  So, I hot-footed it down there the next day.  

I've finished the Penman and I'm about a third of the way thru the Chadwick.  The Penman was outstanding as always.  She really brings to life people that lived nearly a thousand years ago.  Loved learning about Outremer.  

The Chadwick?  Having problems with it frankly.  Not her style, the setting or the research-those are outstanding as usual.  The "problem" is that she brings the main characters to life in all their 3 dimensional glory-the good, the bad and the ugly.  Right now, Aoife(the princess) is coming across as an indulged brat and her father as a revenge fueled maniac who cares nothing for his family.  Again, it's a measure of this author's talent, that I care so much about these people who lived 900 years ago.  

Great stuff and a really lovely escape .

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 4/18/2020 11:10 AM ET

I finished Panchinko Min Jin Lee. Set in Korea/Japan in 1900s.  I have not read many books about Korea/Japan in that time period. Very interesting. Well written.

Jan I read the Irish Princess it was okay but not as good as many of her other books.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 4/19/2020 8:21 AM ET

Just finished The Girl Who Couldn't Read by John Harding, 4 stars.  It's a tale that takes place in an asylum for mentally disturbed women in the New England area (1890).  Threre are two murders but the difference is that the reader knows who commited the murders.  The question is will the murderer escape?

Carolyn:  Just realized that For the King's Favor by Elizabeth Chadwick is on the TBR shelf above my computer.  Looking forward to your comments.  

Last Edited on: 4/19/20 8:22 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 4/21/2020 12:42 PM ET

Still reading Above the Bay of Angels, and I started a new audio book - The Life We Bury by Allen Eskins.  I was surprised when I started listenign that it takes place in my home state of Minnesota. I don't think I realized that when I bought it.  It's okay.  The storyline is interesting (it's a mystery and a thirller, I guess) but some of the dialogue, writing, etc. I find a little so-so.  And the narrator pronounces the name Hamline Law School as "Ham Line" which is certainly the way it's spelled, but anyone from Minnesota knows it's prounounced "Ham Lin."  That totally drove me nuts.  I am considering it historical fiction as although it is written in the present day, much of the back story occurs either in Viet Nam during the war or 30+ years ago when the crime at issue occurred.  

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 4/25/2020 7:56 AM ET

I am reading a really good new HF book

Ribbons of Scarlett by 6 authors.  It is set in the French Revolution. Each Author writes a section but they all interconnect. Very well done.

Alice

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 4/26/2020 9:01 PM ET

I finished Above The Bay of Angels this afternoon while relaxing in the sunshine.  Gorgeous day here in northwestern Minnesota!  Then I started The Ghost Midwife, which is novella so it should be a quick read.  I'm almost finished listening to The Life We Bury and am trying to decide what to listen to next.  I may take a short break and catch up on some podcasts.  

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/27/2020 1:57 PM ET

REK-I downloaded the Chadwick book to my Kindle, but then the new CS Harris book came in the mail, so I started that first. I’ll probably read it next.

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 4/28/2020 12:10 PM ET

The Ghost Midwife is complete!  Now I think I'll read The Indigo Girl by Natasha Boyd.