Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: It's April 2020 - What Are You Reading?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
BrownEyesBlue avatar
Subject: It's April 2020 - What Are You Reading?
Date Posted: 4/2/2020 9:43 PM ET

FINISHED 

1. "RIDING THE STORM" (The Westmorelands #5) by Brenda Jackson (A++++) Women called him the perfect storm because he could sweet-talk any woman into his bed and regularly did so. Firefighter Storm Westmoreland used lovemaking the way other men used a long, hot shower - to blow off steam. Until a torrid weekend with a too-hot-to-handle virgin left a certain legendary player craving something other than mere physical gratification. Caught in the eye of the storm, Jayla Cole was no match for the sexy fire chief or the emotional inferno he ignited inside her. But would she be satisfied with the mind-blowing, sex-only relationship she shared with Storm or was starting a family on her own still what she desired more than anything?
  2. "THE FIFTH HORSEMAN" (Women's Murder Club #5) by James Patterson (Unabridged Audio CD) (A++++) Somebody Dies - A young mother is recuperating in a San Francisco hospital when she is suddenly gasping for breath. The call button fails to bring help in time. The hospital's doctors, some of the best in the nation, are completely mystified by her death. How did this happen? - Apocalypse Nears - This is not the first such case at the hospital. Just as patients are about to be released with a clean bill of health, their conditions take a devastating turn for the worse. Accompanied by the newest member of the Women's Murder Club, Attorney Yuki Castellano, Lieutenant Lindsay Boxer probes deeper into the incidents. Could these cases just be appalling coincidences? Or is a maniac playing God with people's lives? When someone close to the Women's Murder Club begins to exhibit the same frightening symptoms, Lindsay fears no one is safe. The 5th Horseman Rides: It is a wild race against time as Lindsay's investigation reveals a hospital administration determined to shield its reputation at all costs.  And while the hospital wages an explosive court battle that grips the entire nation, Lindsay and the Women's Murder Club hunt for a merciless killer among its esteemed medical staff.
  3. "SWEET VENGEANCE" by Fern Michaels (unabridged audio CD) (A++++) Tessa Jamison couldn't have imagined anything worse than losing her beloved twin girls and husband - until she was convicted of their murder. For ten years, she has counted off the days in Florida's Correctional Center for Women, fully expecting to die behind bars. Fighting to prove her innocence holds little appeal now that her family's gone. But on one extraordinary day, her lawyers announce that Tessa's conviction has been overturned due to a technicality and she's released on bail to await a new trial. Hounded by the press, Tessa retreats to the small tropical island owned by her late husband's pharmaceutical company. There, she begins to gather knowledge about others in similar situations to her own...people who have lost their families in horrific ways, only to see the perpetrators walk away unpunished. For the first time since her nightmare began, Tessa feels a sense of purpose. She'll use the fortune at her disposal to track down criminals who have outwitted the law. Only this time, it'll be Tessa, not the courts, who determines what their sentence should be. One by one, the guilty will be led to justice, and victims like Tessa can gain closure. But when it comes to her own case, will Tessa be able to learn the truth at last...and reclaim her freedom and her future?

CURRENTLY READING -

1. "Gastien: From Dream to Destiny" (Gastien #2) by Caddie Rowland (reading on a Kindle app on my computer)
  2. "Seven Stones to Stand or Fall" by Diana Gabaldon
  3. "More Than Words" "The Greatest Gift" by Diana Palmer "Shelternet" by Jan Richardson and Kathryn Babcock "Close Call" by Carla Neggers "Quilts from Caring Hands" by June Nielsen "Hanging by a Thread" by Emilie Richards "Memory Box Artist Program" by Tera Leigh "Small Packages" by Brenda Novak "The Motheread/Fatheread Literacy Program" by Dena Wortzel "Built to Last" by Susan Mallery
  4. "All the Right Places" (Riley O'Brien and Company#1) by Jenna Sutton (new author for me)

CURRENTLY LISTENING TO -

1. "Dark in Death" (In Death #46) by J.D. Robb (listening on an Audible application on my cell phone)
  2. "Five Days in November" by Clint Hill

Last Edited on: 4/27/20 5:10 PM ET - Total times edited: 9
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/3/2020 9:02 AM ET

Reading:

The Collected Short Stories by Jean Rhys

A Song for Nero by Thomas Holt

For Edgar by Sheldon Rusch

Sin Bravely by Maggie Rowe

Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell

Finished:

Alternate Side by Anna Quindlen

Route 66 Lost & Found by Russell Olsen

Little Girl Blue: The Life of Karen Carpenter by Randy Schmidt

Whip It by Shauna Cross

High Plains Tango by Robert James Waller

God Save the Fan by Will Leitch

Thomas Hart Benton: A Life by Justin Wolff

Hot Damn! by James Hall

The Fall of Lisa Bellow by Susan Perabo

IV: A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas by Chuck Klosterman

Crucible by James Rollins

West of Sunset by Stewart O'Nan

Last Edited on: 4/30/20 10:08 PM ET - Total times edited: 17
bookshelftreasures avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/3/2020 11:49 AM ET

Finished in March:  True Speed My Racing Life  by:  Tony Stewart and Bones Bourcier

In The Lion's Den  by:  Barbara Taylor Bradford

The Radium Girls  by:  Kate Moore  for book club

Hope to get to in April:  Yes, We Did by:  Lawrence Jackson

The Knitter's Book of Socks  by:  Clara Parkes

Travel Guide to Port Charles

101 Salivations For The Love of Dogs  by:  Rachael Hale

Since book club will not be meeting for awhile, I am getting caught up on papers, magazines, and books I got for Christmas.

Jeannewar avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/3/2020 3:51 PM ET

Reading:

In the Shadow of Alabama   Judy Renee Singer

Finished:

Sold on a Monday  Kristina McMorris

The Incendiaries R O Kwan

Burntown  Jennifer McMahon

Dirty Secret  Jessie Sholl

It Happens in the Hamptons Holly Peterson

Salvage the Bones Jesmyn Ward

The Heart of Henry Quantum Pepper Harding

Last Edited on: 4/28/20 1:25 AM ET - Total times edited: 6
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/6/2020 9:44 AM ET

Finished this month:. The Lincoln Myth by Steve Berry, The Scoop by Fern Michaels, The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier, The Shape of Dread by Marcia Muller,  Trophies and Dead Things by Marcia Muller, A Cat in a Chorus Line by Lydia Adamson, A Cat Named Brat by Lydia Adamson, A Cat With No Regrets by Lydia Adamson (unpostable, free with any order, check my profile bulletin board), A Cat With No Clue by Lydia Adamson, The Murder Game by Beverly Barton, Widow's Tears by Susan Wittig Albert, Christmas Bliss by Mary Kay Andrews, The Cat of the Century by Rita Mae Brown, Snapshot by Linda Barnes, Exclusive by Fern Michaels, Hard Truth by Nevada Barr

Currently reading: undecided

Last Edited on: 4/30/20 9:07 AM ET - Total times edited: 17
lionrose avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/6/2020 7:16 PM ET

Finished Lynn Kurland's Nine Kingdoms last month. 

Read her MacLeod series and now am speeding through the de Piaget series. They're interwoven and I'm trying to be chronological to the series (hard because there's time travel) but it's somewhat confusing due to publication dates .

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 4/10/2020 8:06 AM ET

I need peace and calm right now.  So I read The Full Cupboard of Life, by Alexander McCall Smith, part of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, which I knew would deliver the serenity and hope I am craving. It did not disappoint, and might just be my favorite of the series so far.  And that had lead me to re-read the first book again, to re-discover the early life of Mma Ramotswe.  Absolutely love and appreciate this series and author.  He writes charmingly, touchingly and so very deeply about the simplest of human foibles.