Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: It's April 2021 - What Are You Reading

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
BrownEyesBlue avatar
Subject: It's April 2021 - What Are You Reading
Date Posted: 4/6/2021 1:30 PM ET

READ -

1. "ACES WILD" by Sarah McCarthy (A++++) When you gamble with desire, be prepared to risk everything…Unlike the rest of the Hell's Eight brotherhood, Ace Parker's home isn't on the range. This restless cowboy craves the hustle of Simple, Texas, a lawless town where he can sate his darker appetites without guilt. At least he did, until Petunia Wayfield arrived. The prickly new teacher is insisting that Ace help her rid the town of drunkenness and card playing. For that kind of miracle, Ace demands a reward the spinster schoolmarm will surely never give. But Petunia isn't backing down. Not when the intense passion Ace offers shatters her to the core. As soon as she can afford a ticket home back east, she'll leave Simple behind for good. Until then, she'll match his sensual challenge with her own, daring him to give up his fiercely guarded self-control. And then real danger claims Petunia, forcing Ace to reveal the man he really is - even if it drives her away forever.
  2. "MORE THAN WORDS" (A++++) "The Greatest Gift" by Diana Palmer "Shelternet" by Jan Richardson and Kathryn Babcock "Close Call" by Carla Neggers "Quilts from Caring Hands" by June Nielsen "Hanging by a Thread" by Emilie Richards "Memory Box Artist Program" by Tera Leigh "Small Packages" by Brenda Novak "The Motheread/Fatheread Literacy Program" by Dena Wortzel "Built to Last" by Susan Mallery
  3. "A Cold Creek" Homecoming" by Raeanne Thayne (Cowboys of Cold Creek #5) (A++++) She was the last person he ever expected to see. Fifteen years later, Quinn Southerland still hadn't forgiven Tess Claybourne for treating him like the dirt beneath her boots. But the widowed nurse tending his ailing mother was a world away from the spoiled homecoming queen Quinn had known. Yet she was just as achingly beautiful, still arousing the old bittersweet longing for something he could never have.
    Or could he? That fierce attraction still burned between them. This could be their second chance...if they let love lead them where their hearts longed to go.

CURRENTLY READING -

1. "Gastien: From Dream to Destiny" (Gastien #2) by Caddie Rowland (reading on a Kindle app on my computer)
  2. "Seven Stones to Stand or Fall" by Diana Gabaldon
  3. "No Holding Back" by Lori Foster
  4. "A Cold Creek" Homecoming by Raeanne Thayne

CURRENTLY LISTENING TO -

1. "Dark in Death" (In Death #46) by J.D. Rob (listening to on an Audible app on my phone) 
  2. "Ireland" by Frank Delaney (audio CD)

Last Edited on: 4/26/21 8:44 PM ET - Total times edited: 4
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/6/2021 6:36 PM ET

Reading:

Caught by Lisa Moore

John Quincy Adams: American Visionary by Fred Kaplan

I'm Living Your Dream Life: The Story of a Northwoods Resort Owner by Michele VanOrt Cozzens

Finished:

Paul and Me: 53 Years of Adventures and Misadventures with My Pal Paul Newman by A.E. Hotchner

Vanishing Act by Thomas Perry

Factory Man by Beth Macy

The Con Man's Daughter by Candice Curry

Falling... in Love with San Miguel by Carol Schmidt and Norma Hair

The Warsaw Protocol by Steve Berry

The Garner Files by James Garner and Jon Winokur

Last Edited on: 4/28/21 7:52 AM ET - Total times edited: 9
bookshelftreasures avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/8/2021 2:15 PM ET

Finished in March:  Dreams From My Father A Story of Race and Inheritance  by:  Barack Obama

The Audacity of Hope  Thoughts On Reclaiming The Americam Dream  by:  Baracl Obama

Currently reading:   A Promised Land  by:  Barack Obama

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/8/2021 7:15 PM ET

Finished this month: A Cat in Fine Style by Lydia Adamson,  A Cat of One's Own by Lydia Adamson,  The Noisy Neighbor by Fern Michaels, Fatally Flaky by Diane Mott Davidson, Mourning in Miniature by Margaret Grace, Night Moves by Heather Graham, A Season of Miracles by Heather Graham, A Darkness More Than Night by Michael Connelly, The You I Never Knew by Susan Wiggs, Death Come Quickly by Susan Wittig Albert

Currently reading: undecided

Last Edited on: 4/30/21 4:31 PM ET - Total times edited: 6
mistyks avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/19/2021 4:46 PM ET

Finished: Polio: An American Story by David M. Oshinsky, The Universal Christ by Richard Rohr, and The Magician King by Lev Grossman

Finished: The Magician's Land by Lev Grossman (This is the third and final book of the series. I have done them all on audio.)

Finished: News of the World by Paulette Jiles (on audio)

Currently reading: English Creek by Ivan Doig and One More Turn of the Page by George A. Hopkins (May book club pick)

Last Edited on: 4/27/21 6:02 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
mrscrissyh avatar
Subject: Rereading
Date Posted: 4/19/2021 6:04 PM ET

I am rereading The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle. It is a YA, easy reader - but I still love the story.