Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: It's August 2019 - What Are You Reading?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
BrownEyesBlue avatar
Subject: It's August 2019 - What Are You Reading?
Date Posted: 8/1/2019 1:51 PM ET

FINISHED -

1. "A VERY GOTHIC CHRISTMAS" by Christine Feeham (A++++) Jessica Fitzpatrick is terrified by mysterious threats. Determined to keep her twin wards safe, she flees to the remote island mansion of their reclusive, widowed father. With Christmas approaching, the spark between him and Jessica might light the future, but there are those whose evil machinations may plunge the family into darkness - unless a Christmas miracle occurs. "Lady of the Locket" by Melanie George (new author for me) (A+++) Echoes of history and romance lure Rachel Hudson to Glengarren, the Scottish castle where her parents met many Christmases ago. But it is the portrait of fierce Highlander Duncan MacGregor that sparks a deep desire inside her. On a storm-tossed night, as lightning cracks across the castle’s turrets, Rachel finds herself face-to-face with MacGregor himself, astride a mighty stallion. Now, stepping into Rachel’s time - and her heart - the warrior from the past is pursued by an ancient, evil enemy.
  2. "STARLIGHT BRIDGE" by Debbie Mason (Harmony Harbor #1) (A+++++) Hidden in Graystone Manor is a book containing all the dark secrets of Harmony Harbor, and Ava DiRossi is determined to find it. No one-especially not her ex-husband, Griffin Gallagher, can ever discover what really tore her life apart all those years ago. With Griffin back in town, it's more important than ever that she find the book before someone else does. Because her ex is still angry with her for leaving him. And he still has no idea Ava never stopped loving him. Ava is no longer the vibrant, happy woman Griffin had once loved and married, and he would do anything to bring back the sparkle to her brilliant green eyes. But what's never changed are the sexy sparks of attraction between Ava and Griffin, and he won't give her up again without a fight. He knows there's the real possibility of a future together...if the truth doesn't burn the bridge between them forever. 

CURRENTLY READING -

1. "Gastien: From Dream to Destiny" (Gastien #2) by Caddie Rowland (reading on a Kindle app on my computer)
  2. "Seven Stones to Stand or Fall" by Diana Gabaldon
  3. "Feel the Heat" (Hot in the Kitchen #1) by Kate Meader (new author for me)

CURRENTLY LISTENING TO -

1. "Dark in Death" (In Death #46) by J.D. Robb (listening on an Audible application on my cell phone)
  2. "The Devil's Punchbowl" (Penn Cage #3) by Greg Iles (unabridged audio CD)

Last Edited on: 8/9/19 6:22 PM ET - Total times edited: 4
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/1/2019 9:08 PM ET

Reading:

Ten Days in the Hills by Jane Smiley

The Awakening by Kate Chopin

Going in Circles by Pamela Ribon

Finished:

The Story of the Outlaw by Emerson Hough

Walla Walla Suite by Anne Argula

The Sixth Phase by Robert Randisi

Revenge of the Paste Eaters: Memoirs of a Misfit by Cheryl Peck

Dispatches from Pluto: Lost and Found in the Mississippi Delta by Richard Grant

Red Green Talks Cars

Our Game by John LeCarre

Last Edited on: 8/29/19 8:05 AM ET - Total times edited: 10
kathyk avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/2/2019 1:33 PM ET

Reading a nice old 1950 copy of "David Copperfield" by Charles Dickens

also trying to get into a non fiction 

Jeannewar avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/3/2019 12:18 AM ET

Reading:

Diary of a Wilderness Dweller

Finished:

The Story of Arthur Truluv Elizabeth Berg

The Cafe By the Sea Jenny Colgan

They Mean Not Mean To, But They Do Cathleen Schine

Last Edited on: 8/24/19 2:18 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
bookshelftreasures avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/5/2019 2:49 PM ET

Finished In July:  Mary Poppins In The Park  by:  P L Travers

Night Of Miracles  by:  Elizabeth Berg

Mary Jane's Ghost  by:  Ted Gregory  for book club

Murder She Wrote A Date With Murder  by:  Jessica Fletcher, Don Bain, Jon Land

Murder She Wrote Manuscript For Murder  by:  Jessica Fletcher, Jon Land

Finished in August:  Mary Poppins In Cherry Tree Lane  by:  P L Travers

Mary Poppins And The House Next Door  by:  P L Travers

Currently Reading:  Murder She Wrote Murder In Red  by:  Jessica Fletcher, Jon Land

Hope to get to:        The Nightingale  by:  Kristin Hannah  for book club

Obama The Historic Presidency of Barack Obama 2920 Days  by:  Mark Greenberg

Michelle Obama A Photographic Journey  by:  Christopher Meason

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/7/2019 10:43 AM ET

Finished this month: Rough Seas by Sherryl Woods, Unforgettable You by Brenda Novak, My Summer of Southern Discomfort by Stephanie Gayle, An Engagement in Seattle by Debbie Macomber, Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston,  Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens, Scraps of Love by Tracey V. Bateman, Lena Nelson Dooley, Rhonda Gibson, Janet Spaeth, The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club by Wanda E. Brunstetter

Currently reading:  The Chocolate Puppy Puzzle by JoAnna Carl

Last Edited on: 8/28/19 8:36 PM ET - Total times edited: 4
eloisem avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/8/2019 12:19 PM ET

Finished:

The Book Of You by Claire Kendal, excellent! About a woman with a stalker

If She Wakes by Michael Koryta, also excellent, have never read anything by him but I will read more

Cop Hater by Ed McBain the first of the 87th precinct series. I know a lot of people swear by him but I will not read another

The Cut Out Girl by Bart van Es a true story about a young Jewish girl during WW2 in Holland. I listened to the audio book read by the author and should have read it instead.

Just starting The Nickel Boys by Colin Whithead

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/11/2019 8:23 PM ET