Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: August Mysteries We Are Reading

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: August Mysteries We Are Reading
Date Posted: 8/4/2019 7:03 AM ET

What is everyone reading for August?

I just Louise's Gamble by Sarah R Shaber. Book 2 in the series. Great series set in 1942 Washington DC. Good perspective of living in US during war.

sulock avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/9/2019 10:30 AM ET

Just finished

The Flimflam affair by Pronzini and Tightrope by Amanda Quick,Cajun Fried Felony by Jana Deleon, The Girl Who knew too much by Amanda Quick all were great but I think the Flimflam affair was less so.  I just picked up last month Jayne Ann Krentz 2 books (I had forgotten how much I enjoyed her characters and writing.) Promis not to tell and Secret Sisters. 

Now I have run out of her books will have to find some other direction. 

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/15/2019 6:38 AM ET

I am reading The Body in the Ballroom by R.J. Koreto.  Fun series with Alice Roosevelt as main character. Very entertaining

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/16/2019 3:46 PM ET

Just finished Donna Andrew's  "Toucan Keep A Secret."  Meg Langslow series.  I thought it was good, but not the best she has written.  Seemed to drag on at times with too much explanation for certain things.  

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 8/26/2019 11:22 AM ET

Cruising in Your Eighties is Murder by Mike Befeler, 8/26/2019.  Sharing my commints about this book:  

This book features an 85 year old man who forgets what happened yesterday.  Paul Jacobson has a habit of bumbling into trouble from accidents that anger others to discovering dead bodies.  Paul is innocent but his smart mouth makes authories suspect him and believe that he is guilty.  Fortunately, his seventies old bride, Marion, keeps him focused.  

The book is a humorous read but this reader became a little tired of Paul's antics and although short in page length it began to seem too long.  However, readers who enjoy humor with a bit of mystery and murder will probably enjoy it.  It's a quick read.