Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Health & Fitness Forum Health & Fitness Forum

Topic: Back health and exercise question

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Subject: Back health and exercise question
Date Posted: 8/23/2011 12:51 PM ET

Back went out 3 weeks ago and it took 2 weeks before I could get in to see the doc. meds not helping much, but exercising in pool is. However, one or 2-- 30 min workouts/day stil resulted in pain upon waking so yesterday I worked up to 3-30 min workouts and voila,  felt better this morning.  Do you think I need 3 x 30 min daily to get benefit or is it just a fluke and my back is just slowing healing?

miamirn avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/25/2011 9:01 PM ET

I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I have arthritis, degenerative disk disease, L 3,4 5. Spondylolisthesis (joints that don't stay in place and slide at will). Sounds aweful doesn't it! Lol. I could be a lot worse though. Last year I had two months of aqua physical therapy. Best therapy I ever had. I use the exercises in the pool before I swim laps. I'm on again off again with exercise. But lately I've been noticing I have more of a long term committment. I guess it's taken the idea of regular exercise to sink in. Anyway, I use the hot tub to stretch and then do the exercises in the pool, then I do my laps. It's changed me. I'm more energetic, I have a feeling a well being and my back is sooo much better! It's stronger, my posture is better and all my muscles are happy. I do this three times a week for two hours. I also coach the "learn to swim" program to kids.. This gives me more opportuntiy to be in the water. I don't exercise in there, but I do move a lot. So all in all, I'm in the pool five days a week. I would say, swimming is making you feel better. Initially your endorphins may be kicking in, but just being in the water can help your back. It's so much easier than on land. You'd be surprised how much exercise you get in the pool without even noticing it.

Stay with the swimming,

I hope you feel better

Last Edited on: 6/21/12 2:01 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Reenie avatar
Subject: back pain
Date Posted: 6/3/2012 7:47 PM ET

Do you think swimming would be helpful for osteoporosis too?  My L1 and L2, and my hips are bad.  I am in excrutiating pain all the time but have to keep going. 

miamirn avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 6/21/2012 2:01 PM ET

So far I don't have osteoporosis. I'm borderline.

Weight bearing exercises are good for osteoporosis. They help build bones and maintain their density. An example of weight bearing exercise that is good for back and hips is walking forward and backward on two or three steps. Using 1-3 lb free weights is good when walking as it weighs one down. Any exercise that help the body push down towards the earth is good. Swimming is not weight bearing. It's great for arthritis, and back injuries as it help one build and maintain muscle strenth and promote flexibility, but it's not weight bearing.

Have you taken physical therapy. I'm in PT now for a back and hip problem. L-1-4 herniations and arthritis.I go to aqua physical therapy and land based therapy three days a week. It's been a great help for me. I've improved a lot!

After therapy I plan to swim and continue to do the aqua exercises I learned in PT. I also plan to go on the recumbent bike to loose some weight.

Good luck

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 6/26/2012 6:02 PM ET

We had over 12 inches of rain in early June BEfore DEBBY decided to come sit here and keep me out of the pool for the past week--- can't wait to see the sun again for more than a few minutes and get back to my aquacise routine!

I have been off pain meds since DEC following my discectomy in NOV, but get occasional hip and knee pain. Back has been in good shape for some time despite having scoliosis and degenerative disc disease that has now moved from lumbar area to S-1 and 2