Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - August Hot Topics

Topic: Book or Movie?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
lynnefree avatar
Subject: LOTR
Date Posted: 8/29/2010 9:58 PM ET

If you really want to read the books, which are excellent by the way as well as the movies. I like to garden and I listened to all 4 of the books while making over my garden. My 13 year old grandson read the books and loved them also. Everyone's different.

doodlina avatar
Date Posted: 8/21/2011 7:54 PM ET

Bridget Jones's Diary -couldn't finish the book

Chocolat 

Fight Club

and if miniseries are included "The Way We Live Now" (Masterpiece Theatre 2001)

she-reads-a-lot avatar
Subject: "The Help" book vs movie
Date Posted: 8/24/2011 7:39 PM ET

We read the book for our book club discussion-characters,social issues a lot to discuss & share our own experiences

all went to the movie, which was packed, ages which related to that era - southern tales of how it was like -sadly all our attendees were white but

there were mixed race in the movie - bottom line the movie was good, thought provoking yet had humor as does life in any situation - worth reading and

viewing and thankful for how far we have come with realization of still much to do in our realtionships to each other.the movie stuck really close to the book but

with a few slight changes.

bestallaroundgirl avatar
Date Posted: 8/13/2014 4:06 PM ET

If there is a book that I love like, Love in the Time of Cholera and The Kite Runner, I refuse to watch the movie, so I don't have to endure the destruction of a great story and its characters. I, usually, will not even bother reading the book if I have already seen the movie unless it's a classic with different adaptations. I was so surprised that I loved the books Brahm Stoker's Dracula and Wuthering Heights and the original Sherlock Holmes. I interpreted the characters so differently in print than on the screen.

starvinArtist avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/21/2019 1:53 AM ET

Image result for ghost town lol\

Page: