Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Books not being requested

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Books not being requested
Date Posted: 5/7/2020 2:57 PM ET

I have posted many books that flew off my shelf but now it has all together stopped.  I have about 10 psychological thrillers that sit on my shelf I want to swap.  Can anyone recommend a way to get them moving as well.  I thought to un post them and re post to get them into the recently posted list but couldn't see a way to do that.    Any suggestions??

thank you in advance!

jen

rebeccam avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/7/2020 3:40 PM ET

Books are FIFO (first in first out) so the members who posted their copies before you will be requested first. So do not delete your books or you will be at the end of the line again. A lot of the books on your shelf had multiple copies posted so you just need to be patient. Welcome to PBS :-)

Here are some tips from the help center:

Requests are unpredictable--you can get several in a week, and then none for weeks after that.  It depends on how many books you have Posted, and how in-demand the books you have are, how many copies of those books are already in the system, and how visible your bookshelf is to other members. 

• Strategies to increase your bookshelf visibility:

• Make a PBS Profile
      • Having a public profile means you are searchable in the Member Directory and can easily be added to another member's Friends--Friends often keep an eye on each other's bookshelves.
      • To make a public profile, Click Settings under My Account in the toolbar at the top of the site and then click the link to Profile Settings.  Don't forget to click 
    • when you are done!
  • Get involved in the Discussion Forums.
    • Members who see your posts can click
  • on your posts and look at what you have to swap.
  • The more members who get to see your bookshelf, the more likely your books are to be ordered.
  • Members can order directly from you by clicking 
  • next to any title on your shelf (this bypasses FIFO!).
  • The Book Bazaar Forum is a good place to advertise your books.
    • Start a topic decribing the contents of your bookshelf: 'Gothic Romances!' for example, or 'Mystery/Thrillers and How-To Books!' In the messsage area in your Post, you can 'spotlight' particular titles with descriptions and reviews. You can also start topics offering 2-for-1 deals or more creative 'specials,' if you like.
  • Or try the Hidden Gems Forum, where members discuss favorite authors or titles.
    • Members whose tastes match yours will click
      • on your post to browse your books. 
    • You can get to the Discussion Forums by clicking "Discussion Forums" under Community in the toolbar at the top of any page on the site. 
  • Post more books!
    • When book orders slow down, most members recommend posting more books.
    • Whenever someone clicks
      • ,  there is the opportunity to order more books from the same member.
      • This means that if you post a title that catches someone's eye (in the Books Posted Today, for example), that person might add one of your earlier-posted books to their order.
    • Join Box-O-Books
      • Boxers can swap multiple books directly with each other without using credits (this is the only way that direct book-for-book swapping allowed on the site) and can search each other's bookshelves by genre or author, etc.  So a Boxer might order several books from you at once if you have the type of books he or she wants to swap.
  • Remember, FIFO is always working for you. 

• Because of the FIFO (first-in, first-out) principle that governs swapping at PBS, the books that have been waiting the longest to be requested may be the next to go!  

broomhilda222 avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/7/2020 4:39 PM ET

I am not getting many offers either. I think people are holding back posting books to avoid going to the post office.

lionrose avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/7/2020 5:25 PM ET

I have been posting and receiving as much as or more than usual for the last few months. I think it just depends on where your books are in FIFO and also some genres simply move faster than others. As Rebecca said, don't delete, repost; you will just lose your spot in line, for what it's worth. Send out orders quickly. The Directed Delivery option for some reason augments FIFO & I have noticed that I get more orders even for books with lots of copies in the system the faster I turn orders around. We may have no control over PO delivery times but we can control shipping/mailing times. Advertise your shelf in Book Bazaar, offer deals or specials on select books.

Last Edited on: 5/7/20 5:25 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Thanks!
Date Posted: 5/7/2020 5:29 PM ET

I did not realize about FIFO.  I understand!   Great suggestions!  I did just list them on book bazaar.  But I'll just be patient.   
thx everyone!

jen

Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 5/7/2020 5:39 PM ET

I'm not sending out as many books as I did, but primarily because I can't get out to get books. I'm sending out a fair amount though, and the funny thing is, I used to go to the PO twice a week with books, and now I don't go as often, but when I do I no sooner get home than someone has placed another order. LOL. 

As the others have said, don't delete.  Pat

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 5/7/2020 7:10 PM ET

I have been getting more orders than I want to pay postage for right now so have been putting my shelf on vaca hold for a week at a time, take it off for 2 days to see if I get any WL books offered to me, then put back on vaca hold. 

I would recommend you play in the games if any of those books are WL.