Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: Books like the Cazalet Chronicles by Elizabeth Jane Howard

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Books like the Cazalet Chronicles by Elizabeth Jane Howard
Date Posted: 8/6/2007 12:25 PM ET

I particularly enjoyed the first two books in this series THE LIGHT YEARS and MARKING TIME.  I love to read books set in the time period and the challenges.  Am willing to consider "life during WW II" stories from America as well as GB.

Thanks for sharing your favorites.

harmony85 avatar
Date Posted: 8/7/2007 10:26 PM ET

Hi Diana!  I am thrilled to find another Cazalet family fan!  I love that series-have read them all at least twice!  Have you read the other 3 in the series? 

I haven't really found any books like this series.  I did enjoy "Shake Down The Stars"...I think the author was Frances Donnelly.  This story also took place during WWII but was different than the Cazalets. 

I'll have to come back and see if anyone else had some ideas. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/8/2007 9:15 AM ET

Hi, I also loved the Cazelets and read the series twice.  You might enjoy the the Morland Dynasty series by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles.  Follows the the generations of the fictional Morland family from 1600's and will go to the present day.  She's up to about book 30 now and in WW1.  They are set in Yorkshire.  Similar to Cazelets in exploring the impact of historical events on the life of this family.  Plenty of details about daily life.  Also helped me understand and remember history because I was seeing the impact on individuals.  Some of the books are definitely better than others.  NIce that some beloved characters are followed in 3 or sometimes even 4 books.

I have the pb's to book 28.  Decided I won't reread.  If you should be interested, let me know, and we can work out a deal.  Haven't posted them yet.  (It's a lot of ISBN"S)

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/9/2007 9:30 AM ET

I love having these new leads!   I've already ordered "Shake Down the Stars".  An enthusiastic review of it reads:

My Favorite book EVER!!!

I'm an avid reader and I have to say I don't like everything I read. But, this is the most wonderful book I have ever read. It's about 3 young women with different backgrounds and they all end up intertwiined over and over throughout the books... this book will make you wish you could jump in it and get in on the action :O) I highly recommend this book to everyone..

Also recommended: Unfortunately I cannot find any other books written by her.

Another I have enjoyed--it's a great "comfort book--is "Coming Home" by Rosamunde Pilcher.

harmony85 avatar
Date Posted: 8/9/2007 10:47 AM ET

Hi Diana!  Just answered your PM-the reader review you posted above is the one I was talking about!  I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did. 

Bonnie