Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Cooking Cooking

Topic: Bread Category for PBS COOKBOOK

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ducky28 avatar
Date Posted: 9/22/2007 12:53 PM ET

Garlic Cheese Biscuits

1 1/4 cups biscuit mix
1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar
1/2 cup water

Garlic Butter:
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon dried parsley flakes

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Combine the biscuit mix and cheese in a small bowl. Add the water and stir just until combined. The dough will be slightly moist. Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, until the biscuits are firm and beginning to brown.

While the biscuits are baking, make the garlic butter. In a small bowl, combine the butter, garlic powder, salt, and parsley flakes. Mix well. As soon as you bring the biscuits from the oven, brush them with the garlic butter using a pastry brush.

grover avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/22/2007 3:03 PM ET

I just found out about the PBS cookbook, and I have some yummy recipes I want to submit. This one is formatted wierd, I copied it off my blog where I had posted it. Anywho, it is my very favorite, very EASY, fairly healthy banana bread recipe!  I write out my recipes step-by-step rather than in a list, but feel free to reformat it.

Rachel's Disappearing Banana-Applesauce Muffins

In a medium or large mixing bowl:

1/2 c. veg. oil

1 1/2 c. sugar

Cream these together, add:

2 eggs

Mix well, add:

4 T. milk

1 c. applesauce

2 mashed bananas (seriously overripe ones work best!)

1/2 c. chopped nuts (optional- I like no nuts, Mom likes walnuts, brother prefers pecans)

In a separate bowl, combine:

1 1/2 c. flour

1 t. baking soda

1/2 t. salt

1/2 t. cinnamon

Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture. Spray 24 muffins tins with cooking spray, fill almost to the top of each. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until evenly brown on top. Let cool for 15 minutes, then remove from pan (if they stick, use a fork to coax each muffin out the tins). If you prefer to make it in a loaf pan, grease and flour the pan and bake for 70 minutes instead. I like making it in muffins so I can grab one on the way out the door!

NOTE: I've only ever made it in muffins, so I don't know what size loaf pan it would call for, seems to be a smaller batch than the recipes I've made in the past, or maybe that's because it disappears so fast...

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/2/2007 8:25 AM ET

DOVE ROLLS

6 to 7 cups All Purpose white or unbleached flour

1/2 cup sugar

2 tsp salt

2 pkg. active dry yeast

1 cup water

1 cup milk

1/2 cup margarine or butter

1 T almond extract

1 egg

Glaze

1/4 cup margaine or butter, softened

4 T honey

Grease 2 large cookie sheets. (I use non -stick ones so  I don't grease them)

Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup;  level off.  In large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast; blend well.  In small saucepan, heat water, milk and margarine until very warm (120 to 130 degrees F) .  Add warm liquid, almond extract and egg to flour mixture.  Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed.  Stir in 3 to 3 1/2 cups flour until dough pulls cleanly away from sides of bowl.  On floured surface, knead in 1 to 1 1/2 cups flour until dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.  Place dough in greased  bowl; cover loosely with plastic wrap and cloth towel.  Let rise in warm place (80 to 85 degrees F) until doubled in size, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. 

Punch down dough to remove all air bubbles.  Allow dough to rest on counter covered with inverted bowl for 15 minutes.  (resting period is optional but I always do it)  Divide dough into 18  to 20 pieces.  Roll into balls.

Cover; Let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 25 to 35 minutes.  

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake 14 to 18 minutes or until light golden brown.

In small pan, heat margarine and honey; brush over rolls immediately after removing from oven.  Return to oven and bake an additional 5 minutes.  Cool.

The first time I made these I shaped them like doves for Easter with a head, body and tail, and slivered almond beaks and raisin eyes.  I only went through all that once but they were ever after known as dove rolls.

ducky28 avatar
Date Posted: 10/2/2007 11:20 PM ET

Banana Bread

1c sugar

1/2 c shortening

2 eggs

3T milk

3 bananas, smashed

1t baking soda

2c flour

pinch of salt

1/2c nuts (optional)

Cream together sugar and shortening.  Add eggs, slightly beaten.  Add remaining ingredients.  Pour into mini loaf pans and bake until they pass the toothpick test.

Last Edited on: 10/2/07 11:21 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ducky28 avatar
Date Posted: 10/4/2007 10:40 AM ET

bump

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/8/2007 8:18 AM ET

Sherry

caught up to here

carolyn

Page: