||1 / 10
2 lbs. - Hamburger
1 - Onion, peeled and cut in small squares
1 T - T Fat
2 10 ¾ oz. - Cans condensed vegetable soup
- Salt and pepper
From: Junior Girl Scout Handbook; c1963; page 141
If you are going to cook over an open fire, rub the outside of your kettle or saucepan with liquid soap. Then the black from the flames—carbon—will come off easily at cleanup time.
- Kettle and soap
- Stirring spoon
- Can opener
- Put fat in bottom of kettle.
- Add salt and pepper to hamburger and separate hamburger into little pieces or make little balls of it.
- Fry hamburger with the onion until the onion is light brown and hamburger is well browned all over.
- Pour off excess fat.
- Add vegetable soup and enough water or soup stock to prevent sticking.
- Cover and cook slowly until meal is cooked through. Serve hot.