Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Caregivers' Forum Caregivers' Forum

Topic: Caregiver struggles

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
r801 avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Caregiver struggles
Date Posted: 4/19/2017 8:39 PM ET

I left these instructions for a caregiver today:

"take her blood pressure each hour and record.  IF the top # goes over 180, text me and we will talk about what to do". 

Is this really unclear?? b/c she really screwed up and I try to make things easy/clear for them.

rissycloud avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 4/19/2017 9:51 PM ET

It seems really clear to me and Im sorry if it didn't go well today. I know how important it is having someone that you trust and that has a knowledge base to be able to help. I hope that if this person doesn't work out that you can find someone else to help you. I will be sending a lot of good thoughts your way.

cynd avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/20/2017 12:01 AM ET

I understood your instructions.  Is the caregiver very young or inexperienced? 

r801 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/21/2017 6:20 PM ET

No, she came from an agency and was very experienced, that is why I was so frustrated and upset.  She won't be coming back again, but that means ANOTHER new person.  Seems like every time we get one that "clicks" they move or move on (military community).  Am having to have someone come 3 evenings next week, but at least dh will be home part of the time. We will see.........

I know have large type notes taped in a few places that state:

"No medication or pills are to be given BEFORE texting Sharon for instructions."

Hoping that will work better!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/24/2017 12:14 AM ET

Hope things are better. It often seems that no matter WHAT you put on a note, it will be misinterpreted in the worst way possible despite being very clear instructions.  I used to be a technical writer, and honestly, I was aghast how some seemingly smart people couldn't seem to read.