Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Homeschoolers' Corner Homeschoolers' Corner

Topic: Cheap source for Ambleside books?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
TheSampleLady avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: Cheap source for Ambleside books?
Date Posted: 8/4/2007 7:31 PM ET

For those of us using this curriculum, you know how expensive all those books can be.

I don't mind printing a short book or story here and there, but I prefer real books. They're gentler on the eyes.

Where do you buy your books? I have no trouble finding the extra reading and literature books here on PBS, but the meat of the curriculum, forget about it. The wait list is either so long it's impossible, or else I *know* no one in their right mind is going to post it (The Woodbegoods comes to mind, as do all of the biographies by Ingri D'Aulaire).

So where do you buy? And how vast is your collection? I am collecting years 0 through 5 :)

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/5/2007 3:39 PM ET

I'm not using Ambleside, but sometimes I think about it, so I have some of the books on my wishlist (I've been next on 50 Famous Stories for about 4 months I think...).  I've gotten a few at yard sales or library sales (D'Aulaire's and Holling C. Hollings.  Other than that, I don't have any suggestions other than to buy a few at a time.

bookwormhouse avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/6/2007 10:09 AM ET

I second Ann's comments. Go to Library used book sales. That's were I got most of my D'Aulaire and Holling books. I have high schoolers and they refuse to let me post them. That tells you something,  doesn't it. If your local homeschoolers have a loop or newsletter, you could post a "I'm looking for.." and see what response you get. You can also look on some used curriculum boards and see what they have. A word of advise, know what you are willing to pay. You might find some on the major used book sites like ABE books or Amazon.

They also refuse to part with any David Macauley books either. Another author worth your time to purchase. Good luck!

TheSampleLady avatar
Date Posted: 8/6/2007 11:21 AM ET

I've never seen my library have a sale. :( Also, the nearest homeschool group (that actually meets; ,many of the groups I find information about are no longer in existance) is 40 miles away, in a different county, so we don't do much with them. I hate that.

I've been buying two a month from Amazon. The prices aren't too bad for most of them.

I always experience a twinge of guilt when I find one of my AO books here, because I know that it will be at least six years before I even consider parting with it. My girls are five years apart.

By the way, since I posted last, I noticed that I moved up a notch on many AO books, including the Story of the World books. Either someone had a very happy day here, or else went out and bought them. :)

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/6/2007 2:29 PM ET

Here is a site for library sales:  http://www.booksalefinder.com/  I go to probably 10-12 a year.  None are in my town.

And I check sites like this:  http://www.campusi.com/  for the best price on books.

Ann

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/6/2007 11:54 PM ET

Have you considered joining the Ambelside support groups theough yahoo?  Or any of hte other homeschool support groups thru them as well?  I don't do Ambleside, but a friend does and she purchases many of her books from people in her yahoo groups who are also doing Ambleside.    She also slways carries a list of what she is looking for with her.  She has found many in thrift stores, yard sales,  and places like Goodwill. 

TheSampleLady avatar
Date Posted: 8/7/2007 10:04 AM ET

Laura, I carry a list around with me, too! :) It gives me such satisfaction to cross off a book on my list.

I never thought about the yahoo groups. Thanks for the tip!