Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - June Hot Topics

Topic: Comfort Reading

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
luv2rd avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/22/2007 12:44 PM ET

I have a book that I have re-read many times over the years when I've got the "nobody loves me" blues.  That book is "Christy" by Katherine Marshall.  I think it was written about 1968/69.  A wonderful book.

If I'm waiting at the doctor or dentist, I like to read "easy reads" like Harlequin books that don't take too much thinking!

Kensigirl avatar
Date Posted: 4/13/2008 4:34 PM ET

I love Jennifer Weiner books for a pick me up.  Lots of laugh out loud humor!

Maria25 avatar
Date Posted: 4/29/2008 8:55 PM ET

My top three books are East of Eden, A Painted House and Wish You Well.  My by far favorite author is Scott Hahn.  I absolutely love reading books about my faith!  They are easy to read and I've learned so much!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/9/2008 5:34 PM ET

When 911 came, I put down the books I was reading about the English royalty in the 1700s and 1800s (boy, were they a violent and sneaky bunch!) and went back and reread my entire Mitford Series by Jan Karon. I'm not religious, but I strive to live my life like Father Tim.

An old book I love and reread is "Late Night Thoughts on Listening to Mahler's Ninth Symphony" by Lewis Thomas. Both a doctor and author, his essays are a grand reminder of how amazing our world is.

Anything by Robert Fulghum is fun-a reminder of the ridiculous.

And I read Pat Conroy for the beauty of his language. My husband says he reads his books slowly because he doesn't care how they out...he just doesn't want them to end.

cliodnawrites avatar
Date Posted: 6/4/2008 6:05 PM ET

Every once in a while, I will pick up Beauty by Sheri S. Tepper and re-read it - also the same with The Mists of Avalon. Love both of those. I'm actually re-reading Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire novels right now as well, but the other two are more comfort reads.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/5/2008 5:33 PM ET

I read Friday by robert Heinlein, and Doc Hollywood (formerly titled What? Dead...Again?) by Neil Shulman,M. D. and The Grasshopper Trap by Patrick McManus. Every year.

I use to read Gone With The Wind. But after 12 years, I stopped.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Oh, good. Someone brought this up.
Date Posted: 6/7/2008 1:30 AM ET

I have a whole shelf of comfort books that I reread whenever I'm feeling down.

What comforts me I am sure would NOT necessarily comfort anyone else.  And that is fine with me.  I've known I am eccentric for a long, long time.

I use to reread all of the Tolkein books whenever I needed comfort.  I think I read them all somewhere between seven and a dozen times.  Then I branched out.

I read vampire novels now.  See?  I told you what comforted my would not necessarily comfort anyone else.

My very favorite current authors in that genre are Laurell K. Hamilton (I know.  I know.)  and Charlaine Harris.  Actually, I like most of what Charlaine Harris writes. 

I reread Lois Bujold. 

I have two M. M. Kaye books about India that I have read to tatters.  I don't like her mysteries.

I reread Octavia Butler.

I reread Eleanor Arnason.

I reread Patricia Briggs.

I reread Diana Wynne Jones and have for many, many years.  Lovers of J. K. Rowling, take note.

I reread Operating Instructions by Anne Lamott.

My current favorite author is Marion Winik.  I have already started to reread her books.   She makes me laugh until I cry.  I need books I can count on to do that for me.

As someone else mentioned.  I read instead of watching TV.  Lots more pleasure.  I'm not even sure I know where the channels are in this place I moved to about two years ago. 

Sorry to say, you won't find any of these books or offers on my to-give-away bookshelf. 

I am currently very proud of myself for giving away a few cookbooks.  I have a whole tall bookshelf full of cookbooks.  Oh yes, I even have a cookbook I read for comfort , Jane Asher's Party Cakes.  I have never cooked a thing out of it since I got it about a decade ago.  I am totally unwilling to consider giving it away.

I haven't yet figured out if there is some kind of organizing princple in my comfort books. 

And in case you are wondering, no, I don't like Anne Rice or Sherrilyn Kenyon or Kate McAllister or MaryJane Davidson. 

I'm happy to have had an opportunity to share this with other booklovers.

Best,

Evy

j3m avatar
Date Posted: 6/12/2008 1:52 AM ET
The only book, apart from the Bible, that i come back to and reread about once every few years and that puts a smile on my face every time, is the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. There is just something about those books! --Joyce +
tchstroo avatar
Date Posted: 6/12/2008 10:19 PM ET

I don't re-read any books, but I think almost all of my reading is comfort reading. Keeps me sane. :-)

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Comfort reading
Date Posted: 6/15/2008 5:10 PM ET

I absolutely "comfort read".  My reading taste are pretty eclectic; but for sheer escape or comfort - Danille Steel or Debbie MacComb (?) senior moment - can't reall her last name LOL.

As for re-reading a book.  I rarely do that.  I hate repeating the same journey.

Sherri W

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/18/2008 10:11 PM ET

For comfort I reread my favorites: Heinlein, Connie Willis, Kage Baker's Company series (about immortal time traveling cyborgs with such wonderful dry humor that it makes me feel better every time).  Also classics like Pride and Prejudice, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Catcher in the Rye.

Anne McCaffrey has said (in the introduction to these books) that her comfort reading is the Liaden series by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller.

aylamonster avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: Comfort read
Date Posted: 6/20/2008 6:58 PM ET

Jane Austen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bookity avatar
Subject: Comfort Read
Date Posted: 6/20/2008 10:46 PM ET

Rosamunde Pilcher is a great comfort read for me.  Her descriptions of gardens and landscapes lead me away from it all. 

Jubilee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 6/22/2008 1:39 AM ET

Nancy Atherton's Aunt Dimity series are complete comfort reading for me.

MissyC323 avatar
Date Posted: 7/8/2008 2:10 PM ET

I go back to LaVyrle Spencer books,  some of the older Nora Roberts books,  and Elizabeth Peters books, over and over.

I also love the Mitford series by Jan Karon.

Imo,  they've never written a bad book.

I love them all.

Last Edited on: 7/8/08 2:18 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/24/2008 11:21 PM ET

Maeve Binchy The Glass Lake, God how I love that book!

sugar3082 avatar
Date Posted: 7/10/2009 12:24 AM ET

Definitely the Bridget Jones books. I read both of them at least once a year. My copies are so worn I'm almost afraid to keep reading them. I've also loved The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles since I was a kid. That one is on my once a year list too.

sortawicked avatar
Date Posted: 6/11/2010 6:41 PM ET

Rick Bragg, any of his books but especially "All Over But The Shoutin".

Page: