Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Contact us function is down

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Subject: Contact us function is down
Date Posted: 4/10/2023 7:15 PM ET

Just tried to send a short msg to PBS and when you hit 'submit' an error msg says 'Feedback' is down, try again later!

hardtack avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/11/2023 11:59 AM ET

May not be the only thing going awry.  For about a week now, when I go to My Profile and add a new title to "Books I'm Reading" and click on "save edit," the same interesting thing happens.

It doesn't save the addition of the new book. Instead it goes to the book page of one of books I have listed as "My Favorite Books."  Sometimes I have to add the new book I'm reading for two or three times before it saves that edit.

Last Edited on: 4/11/23 12:00 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Patouie avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Approver medalTour Guide Asst. Coord. medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/12/2023 9:24 PM ET

Jeanne -- Feedback is working for me. Are you seeing the "I am not a robot" box on your screen and checking that?

And Thomas, I generally have more luck when I add a book to my profile using an ISBN, rather than a title, but maybe you're having a different issue.

hardtack avatar
Date Posted: 4/13/2023 5:27 PM ET

Patty, I actually do use the ISBN for adding a title to Books I'm Reading.  If you use the title, it often substitutes another version of the book. Making it slightly harder topost the book, as you have to find the version you've read on your TBR list. The ony time I don't do the ISBN is when the book is old and doesn't have an ISBN, then I use the title and accept what PBS shows.

Patouie avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Approver medalTour Guide Asst. Coord. medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/14/2023 1:28 AM ET

Dang -- what's the ISBN? I'll try adding it to my own profile as a test.

hardtack avatar
Date Posted: 4/14/2023 2:01 PM ET

It's interesting though that for some books published before ISBNs, if you go to a book's page, there is a 10, as well as a 13, number ISBN. And it's not a reprint. I just encountered that for a 1970s Western I started reading. It's not the first time I've seen this.

Last Edited on: 4/14/23 2:02 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Patouie avatar
Date Posted: 4/30/2023 4:19 AM ET

I think the first use of the ISBN was in 1967. It didn't become widespread until the early 70s.

Every 10-digit ISBN automatically has a 13-digit equivalent (although the reverse isn't true.) So take a 10-digit ISBN, tack on a 3-digit prefix, and change the final digit, and you have the 13-digit ISBN. There's a 9-digit string of numbers that is identical in the 2 ISBNs. (The last digit, in both cases, is a check-sum digit to make sure the ISBN is valid.) So if you plug in a 10-digit ISBN, a book site's software can automatically generate the equivalent 13-digit ISBN.

Some of the newest 13-digit ISBNs don't have a 10-digit ISBN equivalent, though. I'm not sure whether that will mless up book sites that were built around the 10-digit ISBN as the core of a listing.