Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: Dallas Public Library Semi-Annual Sales

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
maysied avatar
Subject: Dallas Public Library Semi-Annual Sales
Date Posted: 7/30/2017 4:04 PM ET

Aug. 12 and 13, the Dallas Public Library (yes, the one downtown) is having it's semi-annual sale.  It's usually a madhouse, with people buying thousands of books at once.  The only time I went, I think I bought about 15 audiobooks for $2.00 ea.  It runs 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.  There are REALLY some hidden treasures here, if you have the gumption to fight your way though it.  At least they provide the boxes and rolling carts.  Remember, you have to park in a cave.

Judye

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/31/2017 8:13 AM ET

I have been to that store on the ground floor. One thing to keep in mind. Most if not all the books are ex library from the Dallas PL. Popular books will be well worn. checked out and read dozens of times.

maysied avatar
Date Posted: 8/2/2017 7:22 PM ET

They discontinued Book Ends in favor of a semi-annual sale. Yes, there are books like the ones you described - just don't buy those.  I have gotten quite a few that had never been opened.  Especially audiobooks.  Brand new.  You don't have to buy anything that you consider in poor shape.  I don't understand why people dislike library books, because the ones I see are in perfect shape with a plastic cover.  Remember, the majority  have been at BRANCH libraries that have fewer customers.  They pool all of them for the sale.

Judye

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/5/2017 12:49 PM ET

Don't the branches have their own book sales any more?

maysied avatar
Date Posted: 8/6/2017 1:30 PM ET

Yes and no.  The things the branches put out aren't much.  But the semi-annual purge really brings out many of the unread books  It's like the mother ship hails its other stations, and this is their chance to divest themselves of a lot of excess baggage.  We must have about 30 branches in Dallas.  The books from South Dallas are virtually untouched.

Judye

maysied avatar
Date Posted: 8/15/2017 5:48 PM ET

I did really well at this sale.

For me:  16 audiobooks

For my Downs boy:  43 DVDs (movies)

20 music CDs

3 storybooks in audio

For the children at the food bank:  15 children's books

Cost:  $10.00 - a real, genuine hidden treasure and whopping bargain!  Fun, too.