Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: December 2019 - What Are You Winding Up The Year With?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Subject: December 2019 - What Are You Winding Up The Year With?
Date Posted: 12/3/2019 11:09 AM ET

Well, the clock is ticking on our reading for 2019.  I must say I've read a bit more this year than I have in the past several years.  Thank goodness for Audio books.  LOL!  I'm hoping for even more reading in 2020 and for more participation around here. 

I'm still reading Mrs. Grant and Madame Jule, which is, frankly, fairly boring.  I'm almost 3/4ths of the way through, so I'm just going to stick it out to the end. Still listening to Anna Karenina.  Hey, it's Tolstoy, it's a big book!  LOL!  Hoping to finish both of these soon and then try to get two more books read/listened to before the end of the year.  

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 12/5/2019 6:25 PM ET

Just finished The Alice Network by Kate Quinn, 4 stars.  I had trouble getting into this book because I have read so many books about WWII.   Of course, this one spans two wars (WWI and WWII) and a period after WWII.  It's good but I found it hard to believe that 183 people are wishing for this book.  I cringed as moved toward what happened to Eve's hand.  Yes, I had figured out the basic scenario but it still made it hard to keep going.  The author made such a big deal of her injured hands that I thought it should have been downplayed a bit.  Anyway, the ending took a twist I didn't really expect, even if I had guessed part of what happened.  Others probably view the novel differently.  Enough already!  On to another read.  The month isn't over yet.

Last Edited on: 12/5/19 6:26 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/7/2019 6:57 AM ET

I read Templar Silks by Elizabeth Chadwick. The sixth in William Marshall series. Her righting is till beautiful. I didn't like it quite as much as the books in the series but still good.

VickyJo avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 12/7/2019 10:28 AM ET

Hello all!

This year has been rough for reading.  I've focused on mysteries for the books I have read (pitifully few) but I want to get back into HF next year.  The challenges might help me do that. (Thanks to Carolyn and Alice!)

My husband lost his battle with cancer in June.  I've decided to leave our home here in W.Va. (a tough decision) and move back to Michigan to be closer to family.  I should be moving in early March.  So that might interrupt my reading, but I'm determined to read more once I'm settled.  I haven't been here in a while, and I just saw the thread about Cheryl, which just broke my heart. 

Wishing all of you here a wonderful Christmas, and I will try and most more in the new year!

KellyP avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/7/2019 12:55 PM ET

I remember when one of my favorite things to do each morning was to look at this forum, sometimes post, but always read others' posts, and frequently add to our wish list.  I regret that I got out of this habit, but anyway, here I am again.

I still read quite a lot but am still waiting for that outstanding, best-book-I've-ever-read......

However, I just finished The Last Year of the War by Susan Meissner.  I enjoyed the novel and would recommend it.  I always enjoy learning some tidbit of history that I didn't know, or had not thought about.  This book is about the friendship of two girls who met during WWII at an internment camp and developed a lifetime friendship.  One girl was Japanese American, the other was German American.  That's what I had never realized.  Have read many books about the unfortunate treatment of our Japanese American citizens, but had not considered the plight of those German citizens, also uprooted from their homes and basically imprisoned.  

Hoping to become a regular member of this discussion forum in the coming year.  Hope you have great holiday season.

Linda

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 12/12/2019 2:41 PM ET

Hi, guys!  Good to "hear" some familiar voices around here! 

I finished Mrs. Grant and Madame Jule, which, to be honest, was a slog for me.  It just wasn't really that interesting.  I didn't feel the connection between Julia Grant and her slave - especially once they were separated - and I wish there would've been more closure to their relationship.  It was just kind of a boring book and not overly deep. 

Next I opted for a quick read and started A Quilt for Christmas by Sandra Dallas. 

REK - I agree on The Alice Network.  I honestly didn't see what the fuss was about that book.  I didn't think it was a bad book, but I didn't love it. 

Vicky - Hugs to you on the loss of your husband, and well wishes on your move.  I can see how that would be a tough decision, but hopefully you will be happier being closer to family. 

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 12/12/2019 10:35 PM ET

Hey Kelly, I look for books by Susan Meissner and have read some but not that one so it just went onto my WL. 

Just finished The Soldier's Wife by Margaret Leroy.  The story is about a woman and her two daughters living on the island of Guernsey while the Germans occupy it.  Vivienne's husband is off fighting the war and her marriage was faltering due to her husband's affair.  She falls in love with a gentle German officer and helps a starving prisoner worker who is shot.  As she views the atrocities by some of the Germans she becomes confused.  Those she has gotten to know were professionals in their civilian lives who find themselves trapped in a war and the dearms of a mad man who wants to rule not only Germany but all of Europe, Russia and England.  Interesting look into the hearts and minds of both German soldiers and those living in an occupied area.  Book has  been claimed.

Last Edited on: 1/3/20 9:43 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 12/17/2019 12:17 PM ET

I finished reading A Quilt for Christmas, which was a nice little story as Sandra Dallas' stories are.  Quick read.  Not sure what I'll read next.  I've been preoccupied with some non-fiction books on art and art history. 

Still listening to Anna Karenina, and I have a feeling I'll be at that for awhile.  My listening as been sporadic (preoccupied with listening to Christmas music, LOL!), and nothing Tolstoy read is a quick read!  

Last Edited on: 12/17/19 12:17 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/18/2019 8:06 AM ET

I just finished Murder in Kensington Place by Andrea Penrose. Excellent series. Book 3 in the series. Set in early 1800's England. Very good descriptions of the time, strong characters and intriguing plat. Give the series a try but start with book 1

bkydbirder avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 12/20/2019 8:48 AM ET

Shelley, when do you do your listening to audio books? I did that when I was crocheting but sadly, my crocheting has gone downhill.

It is good to hear from everyone and maybe we can get this discussion forum jump started again - I miss it!! It used to be my lifeline!!

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Subject: Historical Fiction in memory of Cheryl M now open
Date Posted: 12/25/2019 8:50 PM ET

As many of you know we lost Cheryl M a couple of months ago to cancer. She had a great love of historical fiction. This swap is in her memory.

https://www.paperbackswap.com/Historical-Fiction-Memory-Cheryl-M/topic/320516/?ls=0#p7378523

Alice

KellyP avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/30/2019 9:28 PM ET

Ugh. I just finished A Woman of Independent Meansand while the premise was interesting, by the time it was over I realized I just really didn't care for the main character at all. And, taking into consideration that the book is entirely told through letters FROM the main character, that is a very bad thing altogether!