Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: Just discovered Nora Roberts

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
BrokenWing avatar
Limited Member medal
Subject: Just discovered Nora Roberts
Date Posted: 5/22/2019 9:54 PM ET

I just discovered Nora Roberts. I really enjoyed O’Hurley Born & would like to read more of her books.

Which Nora Roberts books are “Desert Isle Keepers” for you? 

Last Edited on: 5/22/19 9:55 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
tjrj1988 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 6/1/2019 5:46 PM ET

For her stand alone contemporaries-only "Obsession" rang all the bells for me.  It's the only one I've kept, though I've read most of them.  "Come Sundown" was really hard for me to get through-subject matter-and so well done.  

Nobody writes "guy" like LaNora-at least in my opinion.

Her trilogies?  I like the ones that are less "magikcal"-but I enjoyed "Year One" more than I thought I would.  

So, I've kept the "Ardmore" trilogy and the "Chesapeake Bay" set.  Total favorites that I've re-read several times.  

rjvagabond avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 6/4/2019 10:58 PM ET

Wow, Claudia, amazing there is anyone who reads the romance genre and haven't already been immersed in NR.  

For me, of her limited series I think I liked the Chesapeake Bay ones and the Born In ones the best.  Of her standalones, I like several but the ones that stand out the most for me are Carnal Innocence and Chasing Fire.  The last one, Chasing Fire was panned by some but I really liked it because I'd recently met some folks that were in that line of work.  Incredible heroes.  Mostly, though, I like her JD Robb In Death books, starting with Naked in Death.  

One word of warning though.  If you're just starting NR's books and stick with them I recommend you log them somewhere because she re-releases her books more than any author I know of and it is really annoying to start what you think is a new book and find out you read (bought) it before.

And if you haven't looked at it yet, here's her Fantastic Fiction page for reference.  

BrokenWing avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 6/15/2019 9:30 AM ET

Thanks for the replies. The reason I had overlooked NR in the past is that I read almost exclusively historical novels. 

I’m a bit of a romance snob. My favorite historical authors are those like Penelope Williamson, Diana Gabaldon, Loretta Chase, Elizabeth Hoyt, Mary Jo Putney & Lisa Kleypas. 

I had picked up a few contemporaries, but wasn’t impressed with the writing quality of most of them. However, I did enjoy some of Lisa Kleypas’ contemporaries. 

I’m currently reading Nora Roberts’ Chesapeake Bay series & love it. I’m on Book 2 (Ethan) & just ordered Book 4 (Seth). I’m thinking: Wow! This woman can write! One of the things I like about this series is that it’s a well developed story with a lot of character development & we get a lot of the male point of view. Male POV is something that’s largely missing from most other romance books. I’m thinking my husband might even enjoy them. He’s always looking for something new to read & has enjoyed some of the romance books i’ve shared with him.

i’m definitely going to check out the Ardmore series & some of the standalone books that were mentioned.

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies.

BrokenWing avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 6/15/2019 9:31 AM ET

Last Edited on: 6/15/19 9:32 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
goddessani avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 7/12/2019 6:14 PM ET

Late to the party but I love Nora.  I was a moderator on her old board and met her several times.

I own all of her works, aside from the In Death series (including the elusive Promise Me Tomorrow).  I really love Northern Lights, if you like the male POV.  

PM if you ever want to chat! 

tjrj1988 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/27/2019 1:32 PM ET

Claudia-I too read virtually exclusively historical fiction and historical romance.  Nora is the only contemporary author I read anymore.  

Ethan...oh, Ethan-yep, right up there on the hero list for me.  

Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 12/21/2019 9:18 PM ET

I don't read her as Nora Roberts but do read her as J.D. Robb and love that series.