Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Going Green Going Green

Topic: edible garden

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: edible garden
Date Posted: 12/14/2013 1:45 PM ET

so every year my garden gets a little bigger and I get a bit more produce out of it.

This coming season the hubs says he is going to redo it and make it even better.

I have no idea how to actually plan a garden to get the maximum yeild in the smallest amount of space.

Does anyone have any suggestions for books or online for garden planning?

we normally have in our spring garden  lots of herbs ,  okra, tomatoes,cucumbers , bell peppers,  green beans , and  jalepenos

learned a few lessons ..green beans kill every thing around them if they don't have enough runners :)

and bell peppes do well being under the shade of a tomato plant

I would like to add carrots , corn , peas and some black berries

would rather have a plan this year if possible

thanks

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/17/2013 9:44 PM ET

Mother Earth News has had garden plans in the past that maximize space

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/17/2013 11:20 PM ET

thank you it looks great

noveljunkie avatar
Subject: Square foot gardening
Date Posted: 12/30/2013 11:10 PM ET

Square foot gardening or intensive gardening works great.  They are usually raised bed.  Bush beans are real easy with good productivity.

We are in Arizona and have had great luck with tomatillos and pumkins.  Good luck.  

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/31/2013 11:33 AM ET

we are doing raised beds we are having very good luck with them

I will def look into those as well thank you :)

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: gardening
Date Posted: 1/31/2014 10:39 AM ET

Glad to hear you are doing raised beds. They are the best for utilizing space. I have tried both bush beans and pole beans, and for us, we get a better crop using pole beans. Not sure why!  Just be sure to have plenty of twine for them to climb up! We like Mother Earth News....The New Pioneer...and Backwoods Home.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/31/2014 4:31 PM ET

I learned the hard way with the pole beans didn't have enough stringers and they ran all over my okra and pulled one of my tomato cages down

I found a good planner at mother earth  have it worked out where everything is going to go to get the best out of them

taking a chance this year going to try to grow stevia if it works I will save a fortune  :)