Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Foreign-Language/World Literature

Topic: The Elegance of the Hedgehog

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
GRowenna avatar
Subject: The Elegance of the Hedgehog
Date Posted: 1/28/2012 10:11 PM ET

Have anyone read this book?  What do you think of it -

I've just read it and I would like to hear from other people about it.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/1/2012 4:47 PM ET

Gini:  I'm reading "Hedgehog" now, and enjoying it.  Early on, I dredged up my petite Cassell's French dictionary, when I started encountering words and phrases the translator didn't bother to turn into English.  Generally, I could see why she didn't bother to translate those bits.  I should probably admit to you that "je parle français comme une vache espagnol" . . . . Probably the readers who will enjoy this book the most will be females who were once precocious 12-year-olds and who can also identify with a fifty-ish (mostly) auto-didact and serious reader who disguises herself as just another of the world's "funtionaries."   I'm so pleased to have stumbled upon Muriel Barbery. 

Last Edited on: 4/1/12 4:49 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 6/3/2012 8:01 PM ET

I loved it. Unfortunately French is not one my languages, I would have liked to read it in the original. It's not the 12yr old or the 50ish concierge that did it for me but just the entire concept of the auto-didact. Perhaps this fascinates me because I have spent far too many years in schools.