Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Sports

Topic: Eli Manning

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Subject: Eli Manning
Date Posted: 1/23/2020 5:40 PM ET

If you don't know, Eli is planning to retire and will make it formal tomorrow at a press conference. 

I have had great respect for Eli over the years.  I can't imagine playing as the starting quarterback for the Colts and Broncos and having Peyton also playing quarterback for the Giants. Talk about living in the shadow of an older brother!  Peyton has been more outgoing and charismatic while Eli is not so much, doing an excellent job going about his business quietly.    Even despite the fact that he won two Super Bowls against us - I wish him luck and congratulations on his accomplishments.

Unfortunately, there are now two Manning brothers thrashing about unfettered.   smiley  Watch out Brad Paisley.

justcyn avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 1/23/2020 10:50 PM ET

Yup it's come to the time I believe when a lot of the QB's we've watched thru the years will be retiring. It's best to leave on a good note if possible. I'm glad to say I've have him in my fantasy football league in the past and he's pulled thru with points I needed to win at the time. I'm sure Bettyjean is gonna miss him. 

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 1/24/2020 10:03 PM ET

Tom Brady will be retiring soon, I'm afraid.  He's a free agent now, but I can't imagine him signing with another team.  I thought the same thing about Peyton Manning though, and see what happened.  The thing that I think might keep him with NE is the fact Offensive Co-ordinator, Josh McDaniels did not get hired as a coach this season so he'll still be around another year.  I have little doubt that Bob Kraft (owner) will work up any contract and price that will keep Brady in Boston.  

Bettyjean avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 2/5/2020 6:55 PM ET

Yes, I agree it’s time. I just wish he went out on a high note, but we can’t all retire winning a superbowl like his Peyton did. He will always be my favorite Giants QB of all time. I think it’s time for him to go off into the sunset and enjoy his beautiful family.