Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - True Crime

Topic: Free kindle True Crime books

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Sherry avatar
Standard Member medalTour Guide medal
Subject: Free kindle True Crime books
Date Posted: 4/7/2012 10:16 AM ET

Fell free to add to this post.  I rarely see True Crime books offered for free, so here's one I found today.  If ordering, be sure to check that they are still free, as this changes daily.

Among Murderers and Madness [Kindle Edition]

Sonny Long (Author), Robert Zavala (Illustrator)

Editorial Reviews

Product Description

“Among Murderers and Madness” is a nearly 20-year journey; a winding road from the murder of a mother and her two children to the guilty plea of a man, Kevin Hailey, who many believed from the beginning had committed the crimes. Along the way a cast of characters emerge, some good, some bad, some even bizarre.

The role of the media covering the case is also examined, not only the author’s own publication, but the other local newspaper, area newspapers and television stations as well as the national media including Gentleman's Quarterly, the Maury Povich Show, Inside Edition and A Current Affair.

Journalist Sonny Long followed the case since the day the bodies were found. He established a close relationship with the victims’ family and friends, befriended members of law enforcement, and remained in correspondence with Hailey’s mother even after she was convicted of murdering her husband. He has also corresponded with Hailey with the convicted murderer proclaiming his innocence despite the plea agreement.

The author’s intimate conversations with those closest to the case and his tenacity in keeping the case alive in the minds of the public makes “Among Murderers and Madness” the definitive source for not only the senseless stealing of three lives, but for the maelstrom the murders caused in both the lives of two families and in the consciousness of a community.

Last Edited on: 4/7/12 10:32 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
nicki avatar
Date Posted: 4/8/2012 8:38 PM ET

Yea...my first Kindle book ( put it on my iPad) and free.  How great is that!!  Thanks  I haven't tried an ebook yet.  I listen to audio books all of the time and read paperback true crime but this will be my first ebook.

murder101 avatar
Date Posted: 4/12/2012 9:45 AM ET

I use my kindle alot I will have to check this out.

korent avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 4/22/2012 4:39 PM ET

I have a Nook. Will check to see if its still free.