Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Friend first function not working

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Subject: Friend first function not working
Date Posted: 3/16/2024 1:30 PM ET

I just tried to post a book and a Friend popped up as wanting it. I clicked on her name (turning it green) and the site does nothing. But there is a 'post this book' button so I clicked it .....it went to someone else.  There is no way for me to cancel the transaction, it is awaiting the #1 person on the WL to respond.

WHAT DID I DO WRONG??

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 3/16/2024 5:27 PM ET

That has happened to me before. The problem was hitting the post this book button. I think if you went on to another area of the site then went back and tried to post it again it might have worked. 

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Date Posted: 3/17/2024 6:30 PM ET

It confused me cause you have your friend's name to click on or other choice is ' post fifo'. So if I selected my friend and it turned green.  I thought I was done but the page did nothing. So I figured after you chose one of those choices you must next have to click the "post" button to get it to move the book to that selection. 

Last Edited on: 3/17/24 6:31 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Date Posted: 3/20/2024 6:52 PM ET

So I got a second copy of the book from our FoL bookstore and tried to post it to my friend from her WL, clicked on 'post book' while on her WL page, the next screen says it is posting to my friend.  But when I went to my home page I checked to see who it was going to by clicking on 'PM' and it's another person again.

It has been months since the post to a friend function has worked for me!   I just sent a message via 'contact us' to see if they can fix this.

Last Edited on: 3/20/24 6:52 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Date Posted: 3/21/2024 4:45 PM ET

PBS fixed my issue by cancelling the glitch swap and posting my book to my friend as software should have done. But I don't know if the function is actually working right again. 

Advertisement avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/22/2024 9:40 PM ET

Is it possible the friend had the book on auto-request but was out of credits?

Patouie avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Approver medalTour Guide Asst. Coord. medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/23/2024 6:45 PM ET

Or if either of you had your account on Vacation Hold, that can mess things up.

Sheeplady avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 3/23/2024 10:00 PM ET

Nope and nope. I'm the friend :) After Jeanne was able to get the book posted to the real me, I then tried to order another one off her shelf.  It supposedly went through, but she never got it. Sure enough it was requested from someone else.  In the end we worked it out ourselves, with me  cancelling it twice. Totally weird, but we got it done. I've always been able to post to a friend and  off their shelf with no problem.

Last Edited on: 3/24/24 7:02 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Patouie avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Approver medalTour Guide Asst. Coord. medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/25/2024 4:16 AM ET

If one or both of you would send me a PM, I'd like to experiment with it with you to try to figure out what's going on.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Date Posted: 3/27/2024 6:29 PM ET

I just put my acct on vaca hold after sending out a bunch of pkgs Sat and today. 

Last Edited on: 3/28/24 1:15 PM ET - Total times edited: 1