Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Gardening

Topic: frozen

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: frozen
Date Posted: 3/9/2014 3:25 PM ET

for the first time in 30 or more years we had a freeze after feb 22nd we planted that weekend and the garden froze :(

lost everything except the peas they look strong and healthy

just glad I still have seeds to replant and my berry bushes hadn't come in yet and I hadn't planted my stevia or sunflowers

next year I am not planting till march I swear :)

anyone else thawed enough to start planting ?

louieg avatar
Date Posted: 3/16/2014 5:52 PM ET

We still probably have a foot of snow on the ground. I'm really itching to get going! I've started a few flower seeds under grow lights but that's about it so far.

We had a year like you're experiencing now last year. I had to replant my corn 3 times before it finally took off. Once it got going though, it did really well. Probably the best year I've ever had with my garden. Hang in there! This year I'm planning to start a couple weeks later than I did last year since with all the replanting I did, I was was about 2 weeks behind usual last year and everything came out just fine.

Last Edited on: 3/16/14 5:53 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/16/2014 8:31 PM ET

yeah I waited this year longer than last year to :)

looked out the window today .. have 2 cucumber plants that came up and the peas are still doing really well

found 4 green beans and the corn popped up to

next year I think I will wait till I hear home depot offer 2 for 1 seeds .. they started that this week seems freeze is over here :)

craftnut avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 4/2/2014 6:28 PM ET

You must be in a warm climate, our last frost date is mid-May!!

craftnut avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 4/2/2014 6:30 PM ET

But the crocus did bloom!

purplecrocus2

louieg avatar
Date Posted: 4/8/2014 9:29 AM ET

Beautiful flowers Carole! I love purple flowers, I just ordered a bunch of purple gladiola bulbs. We're still about 6-7 weeks away from being able to plant anything here. I started some tomato & pepper seeds last weekend so I guess I am gardening now, even though it's not outside yet.

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/8/2014 9:55 PM ET

Went out on a limb and planted a month or more early.  Paid off.  Tomatoes are about 2 feet tall and blooming (altho nights are still too cool for fruit to set), sunflowers, spinach and chard look good, and potatoes are as tall as the tomatoes.    Mandarin orange looks to be in for a bumper crop if the number of blooms are an indicator.  Northern CA.