Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Horror

Topic: Any gamers out there played The Last of Us?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
quackers avatar
Subject: Any gamers out there played The Last of Us?
Date Posted: 6/29/2013 2:11 PM ET

I just finished this PS3 game -- it is a post-apocalyptic scenario with infected zombie-like humans (along the lines of 28 days later).  I found it to be a great survival (sort-of) horror game and IMO was more entertaining than the majority of new movies out there, World War Z included (saw it last weekend--it was okay, but didn't live up to my hopes for it).

If there are any other gamers out there, maybe we should start a horror video game thread.  I'm addicted to both games & books and go back & forth, but sometimes I feel like the stories in video games are better than the books I've been reading.  If there are any gamers out there, I really recommend The Last of Us.  If I didn't already have a PS3, I think I would buy one just to play this game.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/4/2013 11:02 PM ET

Thanks for the tip! I don't have a gaming system; only play games on PC. But I'm down for a horror-themed games thread! I love them. Luuuurve.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/4/2013 11:03 PM ET

Dang; just searched for it on PC, but no go. However, this looks fun: http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Last-Light-Online-Game/dp/B00885MLL0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372993362&sr=8-2&keywords=the+last+of+us+pc

Last Edited on: 7/4/13 11:56 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
quackers avatar
Date Posted: 7/5/2013 11:18 AM ET

Metro does look good and comes in console versions too.  I'll give it a try. 

Have you played any Silent Hill?  Silent Hill 2 has my vote for scariest, intelligent horror.  It is just so bizarre, it's disorienting.  Even ordinary things are disturbing--like the note written on the wall of an empty store, "There was a hole here, but it's gone now."  There is no hole around anywhere, no puzzle or easter egg that might make that make sense.  Just that note.  And I love that all the streets in Silent Hill have the last name of horror authors--Matheson Street, Koontz Street, etc.

Last Edited on: 7/5/13 11:38 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/5/2013 1:49 PM ET

I'll have to look for it. The first Deadspace was a great horror video game 2nd and third not so much.

quackers avatar
Date Posted: 7/5/2013 3:53 PM ET

I pretty much agree with you on Deadspace.  The original was intense--I played the thing until late in the night and remember dreaming that necromorphs were chasing me through the barracks area on the Ishimura.  I thought Deadspace 2 was a fun game and fleshed out the story, but the scare factor wasn't there.  #3 was okay but... meh.