Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Health & Fitness Forum Health & Fitness Forum

Topic: Good diet advice?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
catsrus59 avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Good diet advice?
Date Posted: 3/21/2019 6:29 PM ET

Any pro on here know of a good diet I should try?Just went to my Dr. app an now I weigh 253 at 50.I really want to lose the weight but don't know what diet to try.So far my addictions are soda, pasta, an frozen Italian meals.Any good suggestions to knock weight off?I have some walk at home exercise videos to try.Hoping those will help too.

hardtack avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/20/2019 7:03 AM ET

So far my addictions are soda...

Just eliminating soda from your diet will have a positive result. Also look for ways to reduce sugar in your diet. Empty calories, as there are about 10 teaspoons of sugar in each drink. when I discovered I was hypoglycemic, soda had to go. It was rough, but the health benefits more than made up for it.  I drink teas with a teaspoon of honey, which is a more complex sugar and digested differently.

Plus, as I got older I ate more veggies and less entree. This also made a difference. I haven't eaten beef in decades and I believe this also made a difference in my weight. After a while I found I couldn't eat beef anymore, as I didn't like the taste.

vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/26/2019 1:24 PM ET

Come check out www.sparkpeople.com. It's a free site and it really helps. You'll get all kinds of support there too.

Losing weight is hard. It's taken me 2 years to lose 40 lbs. and I still need to lose another 35 lbs. at least.

Last Edited on: 5/26/21 7:20 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
catsrus59 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/27/2019 9:00 PM ET

Thanks for all the info you two an I will check out the site!

BrokenWing avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 6/8/2020 7:12 PM ET

I suggest reducing the pasta & other wheat & grain products as much as possible. They really pack on the weight. Weigh & measure everything. 
There are also nutritional supplements I can suggest, if you're interested.