Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Going Green Going Green

Topic: green book shipping

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: less is better. is none possible?
Date Posted: 5/20/2014 11:18 AM ET

I am wandering around this site have now found this aspect of PBS. This forum has not received a post since 2009. How much of a refresher will this be? (I am new to forums in general as well.) Having refused bags for many years, receiving books through PBS surrounded in plastic is a contradiction. I do not believe the plastic wrapping is necessary and have recently gotten some paper packaging tape, remember it? The only plastic involved in the mailing is the pen I use to write the addresses. Paper tape is a little harder to use, and harder to find for purchase (any source suggestions?). I find if i give it part of a minute to dry with a minimum amount of pressure (simply turning it to the underside of the package is enough) after I have placed it on the paper packaging, it works handily. I haven't researched what is involved in the water soluble gum on the tape, remember licking stamps? Whatever is involved, it predates the prevalence of plastic.

The local government recently replace the trash cans. On the top is posted the well known green three r's, preceeded by another one new to me: rethink, reduce, reuse, recycle. 

matian101 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/1/2014 11:15 AM ET

I work in an office that gets some odd sized boxes.  I take them and cut and fold into whatever size box I need.  I also use whatever boxes and envelopes I have handy.  Somebody here got some books in a frosted mini-wheats box turned inside out, lol.  I also cushion boxes with whatever I happen to have available.  Sometimes it's newspaper, sometimes paper towels or even grocery bags.  My wrapping may not be pretty but it gets books where they need to go :)

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 10/4/2014 9:38 AM ET

Most of the books I receive are well wrapped.  Sometimes the edges are not taped which I find is almost always a necessity unless one is using padded envelopes.  My only comment when sending multiple books is to wrap plastic wrap and tape the edges all around ensure safe delivery.  Be careful when sending more than one book.  I find I must wrap in plastic wrap and tape both ways around to avoid shifting.  Then I pop them into an envelope, usually padded.  Larger orders often need a box of some type.  And, I applaud those who find ways to reuse whatever material they can for mailing.  

Last Edited on: 10/7/14 7:48 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
buzzby avatar
John O. (buzzby) - ,
Friend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 3/16/2015 9:34 AM ET

Well, I've wrapped about 5000 books (literally) in the brown paper bags as an outer wrapper, I've never gotten any complaints.  Packages are torn, I attribute that to the postal inspectors doing their duty, at least on the books I've received.  The white paper can tear easily, too, the ones I get that are white paper-wrapped are usually small and therefore almost totally covered in tape, therefore not tearing.  Brown bags a lot more eco-friendly than the bleached white paper

chocolatyshatnr avatar
Date Posted: 8/6/2015 11:01 AM ET

For oversize books, I use paper bags from catering orders that come in to work (as long as food hasn't been spilled on them).

For plastic wrapping, I re-use plastic bags that Staples will sometimes put smaller items in so they don't get lost in big orders. I can usually cut them into three strips for three books. 

I've also re-used plastic shipping envelopes - I just turn them inside out.

I'm always on the lookout at work for things that are just going to be thrown out that I can use to ship. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/27/2015 2:49 PM ET

Just ran across an interesting reuse.  A friend reused her Christmas wrap from a gift of last year.  Since it had a white back she simply turned it over and used it as an exterior wrap.  I smiled when I saw it!  Still sent the Christmas cheer with the book.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Please do not use Christmas wrapping paper as the outer wrapping for sendin
Date Posted: 1/6/2016 5:11 AM ET

Last Edited on: 5/10/16 8:49 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/14/2016 9:08 PM ET

Be  very careful with USPS priority mail anything.  If they realize what it is (and they sometimes do, even turned inside out, and they can inspect media mail) the receiver will get slapped with a postage due for the difference between what you paid & priority.  I was very upset when I received a box of books that way!

Best to reuse priority mail stuff for something other than mailing non-priority.

The high quality (non-recyclable at least around here) shiny plasticy christmas wrapping paper works really well. Put the book in plastic bag, wrap it up, and it's bright and cheerful as well as reused!

englishmaven avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Recycled Wrapping for Books
Date Posted: 12/30/2019 7:33 PM ET

I use magazine and catalog pages to wrap my books. I've had no complaints so far.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/23/2022 2:05 PM ET

I re-use all shipping materials that I can. I don't mail books or anything that can be damaged by water, in just paper though. I do find re-uisng polymailers or grocery store bags a good alternative. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/21/2023 2:52 PM ET

Have used most of the tips above but the most important tip I found for mailing books is to secure the edges on all sides carefully.  Since I use black markers the address must be covered too to prevent dampness from damaging the addresses.  Yes, that means using tape.  If anyone has better ideas do share it as I haven't found them.  I try to remove labels so I can write on padded so envelopes so I can write on the envelope itself but it's hard to use a pen on that surface without damaging it.

Last Edited on: 4/20/24 4:08 PM ET - Total times edited: 4
Page: