Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Hardback Books with Dust Jackets

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
tinereads avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Hardback Books with Dust Jackets
Date Posted: 2/28/2022 7:03 PM ET

I've been on this site for a long time, so just wanted to confirm that there had not been a rule change related to posting hardback books without dust jackets.  In the "Ask the Librarian" section about postability, this is what I found today:

• This is a used-book swapping site; books are not expected to be in like-new condition.
    • Older books may have some page yellowing or spine-creasing or dogeared pages; these are all OKAY.
    • Bookplates/writing in the inside cover/flyleaf are OK.
    • Author's signatures are OK.
    • Decirculated library books may have various markings and/or stamps inside or outside or on the page edges of the book; this is OKAY.  These may not obscure text.
    • BookCrossing books may have stickers or stamps or markings on the outside or inside covers or page edges of the book; this is OKAY. These may not obscure text.
    • Hardbacks do NOT have to include their dustjackets.
    • Audiobooks MUST be the original cassettes/CDs, but do NOT have to include the outer "box" that held the set.
    • Audiobooks must include all of the CDs/cassettes
    • Audiobooks must be playable, without more than one (minor) skip per disc.
    • Books that require batteries to work do NOT have to have working batteries.
    • "Playaway" books must include working headphones.
    • Since this is a used-book swap, members should not expect to receive non-Media items with the books.
    • There is an exception to general condition guidelines for textbooks; see below.
    • There is an exception to general condition guidelines for cookbooks; see below.
    • There is an exception to general condition guidelines for travel guides; see below.

But I posted a hardback book without the dust jacket, and the recipient told me that it was the wrong version because I hadn't asked if they were ok receiving the book without the dust jacket and the book cover did not match the picture in the photo.  I know I'm right that the ISBN, and not the photo, has to match, but have the rules changed about dust jackets?  Thanks in advance.

rebeccam avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 2/28/2022 7:55 PM ET

Dust Covers aren't required unless the requestor has requestor conditions.

irishonebac avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Subject: Quit Moaning. You got your Credit
Date Posted: 3/1/2022 10:14 AM ET

You can be right all you want, Christine.  It's the honorable thing to ask if you know there's an issue with the book.

Some folks just have no honor.  You got your credit.  Still wishing that you get what you give since your books are lacking.  

First time since I've been a member that I'll have an RC.

Last Edited on: 3/1/22 10:16 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
daisymau avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/1/2022 12:14 PM ET

Irish,

Your attitude is really uncalled for. An RC would've taken care of the issue.

irishonebac avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 3/1/2022 12:27 PM ET

Amber, your interference is uncalled for.  After over 10 years, this is the first hardback book I've ever received without the dust cover.  An RC IS now in place because some people have to be told what's the right thing to do.  The book sent is trashable.  The sender received her credit.  What's the issue?

Last Edited on: 3/1/22 12:28 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
rebeccam avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/1/2022 1:16 PM ET

The sender received her credit as she should have. She did not violate the site rules regarding the dust cover. If a member wants a dust cover, then that needs to be in the requestor condition. Sorry you didn't have one if you wanted a dust cover but glad you put one in place now if dust covers are that important to you.

riksny avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/1/2022 3:01 PM ET

It's "the honorable thing" to follow the site rules. 

daisymau avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/1/2022 3:24 PM ET

It's "the honorable thing" to follow the site rules. 

Diane, the sender did follow the site rules. The rule clearly states that dustjackets don't have to be included. The only time the sender is required to notify the receiver is when a book has underlining in it. Now if the receiver had an RC stating that all hardcover books have to have the dustjacket and the sender sent it without, then the receiver can RWAP the book.

tinereads avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/1/2022 5:26 PM ET

The only reason I posted this question was because I felt badly if I had missed a rule change - I was relieved to know that I had not.  I don't think it's really necessary to criticize my character; if I had missed a change and made a mistake under the site rules I certainly would have done something to correct it, although I sure that means nothing here since I have no honor.  I'll look forward to taking a break from this site for a while.

daisymau avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/1/2022 5:49 PM ET

I'm really sorry this happened to you Christine.  Please don't let the debbie-downers get to you. Just look at it this way, I would also be told I have no honor, because I would've done the say thing you did.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 3/1/2022 9:27 PM ET

I think Diane was saying Christine had done the right thing in following the rules.  A gentle reminder of the rules is sometimes needed when members are unaware or have forgotten a seldom noticed rule.  

Thus, Another person added to my 'ignore this member' list. Love that option!

riksny avatar
Date Posted: 3/2/2022 10:36 PM ET

Amber, that was my point.

Litwolf avatar
Date Posted: 4/7/2022 7:13 PM ET

Christine, I'm sorry you were treated this way. It seems to be on the rise unfortunately. I've had three different receivers in the past few months mark a book I sent as received with no issue but still send me a message that they're disappointed there was no dust jacket. I've simply responded back that it is not required under the guidelines and they need an RC if they want one in the future. It's frustrating to get these messages when we're actually following the guidelines to the letter. You have my sympathies. 

Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 4/8/2022 10:17 PM ET

In all the years I've been a member of PBS, I think I've only received one book without a dust jacket. I didn't have an RC then and still don't. Most books do come with the dust jacket and if I really want to read the book it doesn't make a difference whether it has the DJ or not and if a DJ is important then an RC is needed. 

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/17/2022 7:34 PM ET

irishonebac    Date Posted: 3/1/2022 12:27 PM ET

Amber, your interference is uncalled for.  After over 10 years, this is the first hardback book I've ever received without the dust cover.  An RC IS now in place because some people have to be told what's the right thing to do.  The book sent is trashable.  The sender received her credit.  What's the issue?

A hardcover book without dust jacket is trashable?   Oh my...  

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 4/19/2022 11:27 PM ET

Trashable? Hardly..

No dj doesn't mean the book is in bad condition or unreadable..

And gee Irish..you don't know the site rules and don't understand RC's..

Christine..you're fine ...don't give it another moments thought

Last Edited on: 4/19/22 11:30 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 4/20/2022 3:16 PM ET

Right on, Buggy!!