Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: Harlequin Hobnob

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/21/2014 9:13 PM ET

Bumping this back up for a new freebie I found.

The Littlest Cowboy by Maggie Shayne.  First in the Texas Brands series.  Free at Kobo and Barnes & Noble.  Probably Amazon as well.

pioneervalleygirl avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/23/2014 11:31 AM ET

I bumped back in July, hoping people would jump in and discuss what Harlequins they've been reading. I'm still old-faithful, buy the Blazes and Presents every month and have been reading a lot of really good ones lately.

Gail

gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/23/2014 11:53 AM ET

None of the stores around here even have Harlequins anymore.  Well, Walmart probably does but I refuse to shop there.

I pick them up at Goodwill or look for freeibes available in ebook form.

Was happy to see The Texas Brand series being reissued.  I had them all in paper form.  Don't recall if I gave them away or not in one of my huge book purges.  I enjoyed that series a lot.

egrove2 avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Approver medal
Date Posted: 1/6/2015 10:08 AM ET

I am still an "old school" Harlequin reader!  As you can see by my PBS bookshelf - always 4/1 - or I'm open to trading!

PM me!

FrenchProf avatar
Date Posted: 2/15/2015 9:09 AM ET

I started this thread about 4 years ago.  I'm glad to see a recent post.  I have been gone from PBS for about 7 months for some personal reasons, but I'm so glad to be back here.  I'm still reading HQs, so hopefully we can get a bit more discussion going here.  My most recent books have been Crossfire Christmas by Julie Miller.  I always enjoy her books, and my most recent one was Snowed In With Her Ex by Andrea Laurence.  This is a new to me author, but I did enjoy this book.  I like lots of the Desire line, but the books with the babies on the covers are a real turn off for me.

gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/16/2015 8:47 AM ET

Kathy!  Nice to see you!

FrenchProf avatar
Date Posted: 2/16/2015 12:34 PM ET

Sarah, I'm glad to be back!   Both parents passing away within 5 months of each other  and DH with cancer can take a lot out of a girl.  I just needed some time to recharge my battery.   I can thank the Feb. 1st announcement for giving me the jump start I needed to come back!  smiley

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: I read Harlequin... sporadically :)
Date Posted: 3/16/2015 7:14 PM ET

I just read 6 books by Day Leclaire and her Dante Legacy series about the Inferno.

These were all good reads with Dante's Stolen bride being my favorite with the H's uncomplicated view of how it was going to be and that was that! 

The books are titled 

Dante's Blackmailed Bride

Dante's stolen Bride

Dante's wedding deception

Dante's Contract marriage

Dante's Marriage pact

Dante's Honor-bound Husband

FrenchProf avatar
Date Posted: 3/18/2015 8:53 AM ET

Renee,  I read some Desires, but I've never picked up any of her books.  I probably should give them a try!  LOL  I just finished a Blaze that I have had on my Kindle for a year!!  Make Me Melt by Karen Foley.  She is an auto buy author for me, and this one did not disappoint.  

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/18/2015 12:21 PM ET

Kathy,  I have several of Foley's books on my reminder list... :) I do have 1 of her books and will be digging it out of my TBR stack as per your recommendation.

I just completed an Intrigue titled Nick of time by Elle James. It takes place near where I live and other then a few of the street names being incorrect and the weather!  it was fairly accurate and  it was a pretty good story. :)       

gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/18/2015 7:45 PM ET

I have several Harlequins on my ereader.  I pick them up when they're free.  Sometimes at a bargain price.  Last fall, I picked up a bundle series of 4 Presents books by Lynne Graham that were on sale for only 99 cents.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/27/2015 9:14 PM ET

I tried 2 by Karen Foley titles ABLE BODIED & HOT BLOODED  I really enjoyed Able bodied but not the other so much.  I will be reading more of Karen Foley books :)  Thank you Kathy for the suggestion.

I have also read a few Blaze category romances by Tori Carrington  'Night Fever,' Flavor of the Month' both of which were good fun romps.

I also tried a Nancy Warren Blaze book titled Power Play. As I really enjoyed it I will be trying a few more of her books as well.

I loved Day Leclaire's book Her Secret Santa (Harlequin Romance) and will be re-reading it someday and her book titled The Nine-Dollar Daddy was funny and sweet.

I read 25 or so other books but none in the series category other then A few Regency Romance.

It is great looking through everyone's posts and trying new authors thank you :)

caramia avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/29/2015 11:01 PM ET

Hi,

I'm looking for a deal on Harlequin Intrigue books for my mom.  2013 and newer.  Anyone?   Thanks!!

orchid7 avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/26/2015 6:05 PM ET

I just picked up the new Joanne Rock Harlequin Superromance series. (Heartache TN) I haven't read them yet, but I noticed that when Harlequin switched over to their new "Larger Print Size", they also seem to have gone with a much cheaper paper quality (very thin!) and a very poor binding glue. I got all 3 through PBS (since Superromances are now priced out at $6.75 each- Yikes!) and all of them already have very broken down and cracking spines- glue peeking through. And this is a brand new series! The quality of Harlequin's series books seems to have declined drastically while their prices have really jumped up. Has anyone else noticed this?

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/25/2015 2:25 PM ET

Debbie,  I havent bough any in quite awhile ,there was a time when I read only them.  I think the next time I go to walmart I'm going to take a look at what they have in this line.  I do miss the fast reads.

What harlequin / silhouette lines does everyone like best ?   any favorite authors ?  I really liked the Blaze. I like spicy...lol

Last Edited on: 10/25/15 2:26 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
FrenchProf avatar
Date Posted: 11/14/2015 10:01 AM ET

I'm glad to see some posts in this thread again.  I love my HQ books!!  Although now I just buy the ebooks for my Kindle, so Debbie, I can't speak to the quality of the print books.  

My most faborite line is Harlequin Romantic Suspense, followed by the Blaze and Desire lines.  Lisa, I, too, like spice in my romance books.  While I like the Desire line, the real turn off for me are the books with hunks holding babies.  UGH!!  I don't equate passion with babies.  All I can think of is sleepless nights, post-baby bodies, and sex being the last thing on my mind!  So if there is a baby on the cover, that is not the book for me.

ETA:  I just finished Designated Target by    Karen Anders.  Loved it!!                

Last Edited on: 11/14/15 10:03 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/14/2015 11:00 AM ET

Thru Nov 17th, Harlequin has over 10,000 titles on sale for $1.99.  That's on their website and Kobo and B&N for sure.  Probaby Amazon as well.

I'm surprised at how much of their backlist they actually have available in ebook form.

orchid7 avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/16/2015 6:16 PM ET

"... the real turn off for me are the books with hunks holding babies.  UGH!!  I don't equate passion with babies.  All I can think of is sleepless nights, post-baby bodies, and sex being the last thing on my mind!  So if there is a baby on the cover, that is not the book for me."

Lol, Kathy- I am exactly the same way! laugh If I even see a baby on the cover, I click right off of the book. I just can't seem to get interested in those either.

Page: