Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: Historical Mystery/Romance, WL Suggestions?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
warbler43 avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: new-to-me author
Date Posted: 1/10/2018 10:21 AM ET

Hi ladies,

Just wondering if anyone here has read the new Victorian Mystery series by Laura Joh Rowland?  The books are titles: #1 The Ripper's Shadow and #2 A Mortal Likeness.  They are stories of a young female photographer in 1888 Whitechapel and with a motley crew, gets caught up in the Ripper murders.  They sound pretty good.  I've put wishes in for them but there are very few wishes right now so I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this series and/or this author that they could share.

Thanks and I hope all had a very Happy New Year!

jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/10/2018 1:00 PM ET

I have not read them, but they do sound interesting.  My library has the first one, The Ripper's Shadow (as well as several in another mystery series she wrote set in ancient Japan).  I'll give it a read, thanks for the info.

(If I get to it soon, I'll let you know what I think).

Last Edited on: 1/10/18 1:04 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Jerseygirltoo avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/10/2018 1:41 PM ET

I have not heard of those, but still eagerly awaiting the new Jennifer Ashley historical mystery, "Death Below Stairs". And the second one is "Scandal Above Stairs", if you want to get on the wishlist.

Last Edited on: 1/10/18 1:44 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
tburns0214 avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Jennifer Ashley
Date Posted: 1/10/2018 3:14 PM ET

Just started it. Live her Capt. Lacey series. This one is proving to be excellent also!

warbler43 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/10/2018 5:08 PM ET

I love her Captain Lacey series.  And I have my wish in for this new book/series!  Sounds good.

jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/14/2018 10:41 AM ET

Sheri Cobb South has "another John Pickett mystery" called "Mystery Loves Company" cominng out on January 15.   I'm the first wisher. I seem to have forgotten how to do links, so here's the ISBN you can paste in for a search:  9780692893173

Last Edited on: 1/14/18 10:45 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
warbler43 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/14/2018 4:10 PM ET

Thanks for the info Jayelsee.  Actually, according to Amazon, this is one in a series this author has already published.  Looks like it is book 6 or 7 in the list.  They all look like they are worth looking into.  Not sure if I want to add another series to my ever groaning bookshelves right now.  Will have to think on that.

jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/14/2018 6:30 PM ET

Yes, this is the latest in a series (number 7, plus two e-book novellas).  I have read them all and highly recommend.  Here's what I said about them in an earlier post here:

I recommended this series in a earlier post, and recently finished reading the third book in Sheri Cobb South's "John Pickett" mystery series.  I enjoyed it so much, I bought the next one on Kindle!  The mysteries, and the romance, in these books are light and delightful, thorougly charming.  There's nothing graphic about the romance, but it is very sweet and unlikely, and developing nicely.  The mysteries are intricate enough to be entertaining, but not dark or dismal.  If you are looking for a historical mystery that puts you in a cheerful mood, these are for you.

Last Edited on: 1/14/18 6:32 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
warbler43 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/15/2018 12:16 AM ET

Thanks for that review Jayelsee.  I'll put the author's name on my list of books to think about.

jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/15/2018 8:39 PM ET

And your library might have some of the books (so you don't have to add to that bulging TBR shelf, lol), that's how I got the first few in the series, then enjoyed them so much I had to buy them on kindle.  They are fast reads, not too long or heavy, they'll put you in a good mood.  

jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2018 10:11 AM ET

Ashley Gardner's 13th Captain Lacey novel will be published in March Murder in St. Giles: A Regency Mystery (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries Book 13) :: Ashley Gardner.  Only 2 wishers here currently.  It's also available for pre-order as an e-book (Kindle, Nook and I-book $3.99).

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Twenty-One Days
Date Posted: 4/11/2018 11:10 AM ET

A new series by Anne Perry.  I was #1 on the WL.

9781472234100  paperback released in Apr 2018

Sue

jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/21/2018 1:05 PM ET

Just finished reading book # 8 in Sheri Cobb South's "Another John Pickett Mystery, Peril by Post.  I loved it!

(Sorry, I can no longer figure out how to make links work, so you'll need to look it up by searching Sheri Cobb South.  It's at the top of her author listing, but it doesn't come up if you search only by title).

Last Edited on: 10/21/18 1:10 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Sheri Cobb South
Date Posted: 10/21/2018 1:40 PM ET

Peril by Post

9780692083598 (ISBN)

I'm number 1...

Sue

warbler43 avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Where the Dead Lie by C S Harris
Date Posted: 1/17/2019 1:35 PM ET

Hi everyone.  I have a TPB copy of Where the Dead Lie by C. S. Harris, like new condition, bought new, read once.  I have it listed here on my bookshelf but there are no wishers for the paperback edition.  However, there are 37 wishes for the hard cover edition.  Anyone here have that book on your wish list?  If you're interested, PM me.  I don't understand why no one has listed the paperback edition on their wishlists.  The Sebastian St. Cyr mystery series is in high demand, so this is a mystery to me.

Thanks reading buddies!

Karen 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/17/2019 2:12 PM ET

Karen,

If you still have it, I will take it.

Sue

jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/17/2019 5:17 PM ET

Karen,

I did a little mystery-solving and found out that if you search for books by C. S. Harris, or by book title "Where the Dead Lie" the only version that pops up here is the hard-cover edition.  However, if you put in the ISBN for the paperbook edition (which I got from Amazon), it comes up and shows 1 copy posted (yours, no doubt), and no wishers.

I'm sure there would be lots wishing for the paperback edition if you could find it by author or title.  If anybody wants to put it on their wish list, the ISBN is 9780451471208.  (I'm a C.S. Harris fan, have already read this one).  

warbler43 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/17/2019 5:24 PM ET

Hi Jayelsee,

I posted my book using the ISBN and it came up no wishers.  I've posted it and since I asked the question here, Susan B has expressed interest in the book.  It is #12 in the series and it is very good reading.  I do enjoy reading this series.  I've read all of the books in the series up through #12.  

Have you read her stand alone title "Good Time Coming'?  If not, I recommend it.  Set in Louisianna during Civil War.  Very good story.

Karen

jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/21/2019 11:46 AM ET

Late response to your message, Karen.  No, I have not read C. S. Harris' "Good Time Coming" yet, but it is on my TBR list.  I read some of the books she wrote as Candice Proctor, before she started one of my (or possibly my #1) favorite historical mystery series, and I enjoyed them.  Some were set  in Austrailia, and one had a Civil War setting.

Speaking of historical mystery series, I just finished the fourth book in the "Veronica Speedwell" series by Deanna Raybourn "A Dangerous Collaboration" (set in the late 1880's) and I thourougly enjoyed it!  I rated it a 5, which I don't do often.

Jerseygirltoo avatar
Subject: A Deadly Engagement
Date Posted: 11/27/2019 9:47 AM ET

"A Deadly Engagement" by Lucinda Brant is free on Kindle right now! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QTOQCY/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i1

I've read and enjoyed her romances, which are a bit dark and on the intense side, and set in the Georgian(pre-Regency) era. This is the first book in the series, and it seems to be mainly a mystery, although the hero develops a love interest which continues in the following books in the series.

jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 6/18/2020 1:22 PM ET

In Milady's Chamber,  the first book in Sheri Cobb South's "John Pickett" mystery series, is currently free on Kindle, Apple Itunes, Kobo, etc.  This is one of my very favorite mystery series.  Book 10 (Brother Can You Spare a Crime) was just released!  Sheri Cobb South is also the author of the historical romance "Weaver" series.

Here's the link to the Kindle edition:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GZYRTZ9/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i1

Jerseygirltoo avatar
Date Posted: 6/18/2020 11:52 PM ET

Hi jayelsee! I read In Milady's Chamber and really enjoyed it, but somehow I never continued the series. So many books, not enough time! And I liked The Weaver Takes a Wife too.

If you would like another book with a very similar set up, I just finished reading "Lady Rogue" by Theresa Romain. Same as the Sheri Cobb South book, the heroine is recently widowed, she met the hero, who is a Bow Street runner, when he was investigating her husband's mysterious death. It was very good! It's loosely connected to 2 previous books by Romain, but works as a standalone.

jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 6/19/2020 11:47 AM ET

I haven't read that, sounds good.  The "John Pickett" series gets even better as it continues, in my opinion.  Romance grows slowly but that is appropriate for the premise, and it's very sweet and captivating.  The mysteries in each book are good, too.

Jerseygirltoo avatar
Subject: Wrexford & Sloane mystery
Date Posted: 9/6/2021 8:27 PM ET

I have an ARC of the latest Wrexford & Sloane historical mystery by Andrea Penrose. I'm giving it away with any order from my shelf. The title is "Murder at the Royal Botanic Gardens", I think the publication date is at the end of September. Very enjoyable! 

Jerseygirltoo avatar
Date Posted: 12/24/2022 8:36 AM ET

Merry Christmas to all of you! I have an ARC of "Murder at the Serpentine Bridge" by Andrea Penrose, free with any order from my bookshelf! I really enjoyed it, I think this is the best one yet. 

Page: