Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Horror

Topic: Horror readers; Who's staying?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: Horror readers; Who's staying?
Date Posted: 2/2/2015 6:59 PM ET

This has been my favorite forum for a while now because it's a safe haven when the shite hits the fan in CMT.  I've enjoyed hearing other views of horror novels and have found many great new books to read based on those views.  Lately there's been precious little activity in here. So, who will be sticking around after the fees go into effect?  I'll be here.  Anyone else?

rissycloud avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 2/2/2015 11:40 PM ET

I am staying....  I love my horror.... and love the RAOK forum......

If anyone would like to add me as a friend that would be great... would love to give my horror books to horror people on my list of friends....

Maybe we can make this horror forum a little more active...  :-)

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/3/2015 8:31 AM ET

I'm game.  Finished Ghost Chant by Gina Ranalli the day after receiving it. It's a short book, but I could put it down!  Creepy and wonderful, everything I've come to expect from her.  Can't thank you enough for adding it to my library. :-) 

What have you read lately?

stevefaust avatar
Date Posted: 2/6/2015 3:37 PM ET

I still lurk, and since my want list for physical books has dwindled, I don't post much, and I'll be doing the 49 cent a la carte membership.

Let's see, just finished The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All and Other Stories by Laird Barron.  Oddly, there is no story by that name, although it is a line in one of them.  I really like Laird Barron, and recommend him to people that like Lovecraft, or just generally dark, atmospheric horror.  I think that Barron really shines when he has a story that takes place in the past, this collection having a story in a early 20th century logging camp, and a "enforcer" type character from the same timeframe.  There was one story that I just did not like (Vastation? I think it was), and then the final story was sort of an in joke in regards to the horror genre, specific all at the evilness that occurs due to "Tommy L".  the more horror you are familiar with, the more that you know who the characters are.  Barron was kind of biting in that story, and I am not sure if it was really in jest, or if he had an axe to grind.  He seemed rather nice in person, so I think it was just more of a big joke.

I finished Disturb by Konrath as an audiobook, it was entertaining, but pretty forgettable.

I'm just starting The Conqueror Worms by Keene, had it for years, just never got to it, so I will read it and Deluge back to back.  Also started picking through an Arkham House anthology, Over the Edge, and I am still working through Centipede Press' A Mountain Walked.

Last Edited on: 2/6/15 3:38 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
starr4all avatar
Date Posted: 2/6/2015 4:59 PM ET

I'll be sticking around.

I just finished One Rainy Night by Richard Laymon.

sarabelleie avatar
Date Posted: 2/7/2015 1:32 AM ET

I generally lurk, but I am here. Hoping to get more involved in some forums if my time will allow! 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/7/2015 9:46 AM ET

I read The Conqueror Worms in the last year or two; for sheer making your flesh crawl moments, it's a great read.  I have Disturb as an ebook and have tried it a few times while sitting in various waiting rooms.  It has yet to keep me reading beyond those moments when it's the only thing available. At the moment I've taken a bit of a break from horror, just to remind myself that there are other genres available. Currently reading a biography called First Comes Love, Then Comes Malaria and on the Kindle The Abominable Showman by Robert Rankin.  Come to think of it, both titles kind of sound like potential horror novels, don't they?  I'll return to horror for the next book, just not sure which book will be up next.

Sara, hope you decide to stop lurking and join in. :-)  Steven, I'll miss your name in the forum.  We have similar taste in books and I have always valued your opinions.  I know the ala carte deal doesn't allow for posting in the forums, but if you come across a particular gem I wouldn't mind a PM.

stevefaust avatar
Date Posted: 2/9/2015 2:55 PM ET

Seems a shame that they are requiring purchasing of a membership to be able to post.  I would think the more people discussing books would lead to more people ordering/buying/posting.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/9/2015 3:00 PM ET
I agree. Blocking ala carte members from posting is a real shame and a big mistake in my opinion.
michelleanddavid avatar
Date Posted: 2/10/2015 9:30 PM ET

I'll still be here. 

rockmom66 avatar
Date Posted: 2/11/2015 4:16 PM ET

I'll be here too

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/11/2015 4:33 PM ET

Our numbers are growing!  Just got an email from Cemetery Dance about The Consultant, the new Bentley Little novel coming out in September.  Haven't been too thrilled with the last couple of his, but this one sounds promising.  

eclecticfirefly avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 2/22/2015 10:47 PM ET

I'm still here.  Took a break from this genre for a few years, but I'm getting back into it.  Just started Infected by Scott Sigler.  LOVED the Laura Caxton books and the Unwind books.  Isn't there a new one in that series coming out this year?

moodycow avatar
Date Posted: 5/7/2015 4:16 PM ET

I'm still here too. Finally working through my TBR pile so I'm on the lookout for new authors

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/10/2016 6:21 PM ET

Definitely still here and still reading horror.  We got PBS for free for so long, and I always thought they were probably not making any profit off of it, so I didn't mind when we started paying.  Totally worth it to me.